Gold in the Trading Post

@Game of Bones.8975 said:I would like to buy things from the TP with Gold without going through the conversion process of Gold -> Gems.It’s possible to link the current prices with each item.

I assume you meant to say you want to buy things from the Gem Shop with gold? Cuz gold is what you do use to buy things from the Trading Post.

And you're in luck! You can just buy gems via credit card or redeem a Gems Card and not have to bother with gold at all!

ANet selling gems to players is one of the ways they make money. People buying gems indirectly through gold to gems purchases is one of those ways. Selling items directly for gold would hurt ANet’s finances and they would have no reason to do this.

The way the gold/gems conversion works is there is a pool for gems and a pool for gold.Player A buys gems and wants gold. He puts the gems in the gem pool and pulls gold out of the gold pool.Player B has gold and wants gems. He puts the gold in the gold pool and pulls gems from the gem pool.This allows players to buy and sell gold/gems to each other, but indirectly through the pools.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:ANet selling gems to players is one of the ways they make money. People buying gems indirectly through gold to gems purchases is one of those ways. Selling items directly for gold would hurt ANet’s finances and they would have no reason to do this.

The way the gold/gems conversion works is there is a pool for gems and a pool for gold.Player A buys gems and wants gold. He puts the gems in the gem pool and pulls gold out of the gold pool.Player B has gold and wants gems. He puts the gold in the gold pool and pulls gems from the gem pool.This allows players to buy and sell gold/gems to each other, but indirectly through the pools.

As I read the OP, the poster is aware of how the exchange works. What I see being asked is that using gold to get store items would occur in one step (mouse over item's gem price, see gold price, click) rather than two steps (go to exchange and exchange gems for gold, then buy the item). If I am correct, gold-->gems would still function according to the exchange rate, but the transaction would occur in the background, rather than requiring user participation. Also, if I am correct, this is perhaps the most glaring example of the "more convenience" mindset I've seen on these boards.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:ANet selling gems to players is one of the ways they make money. People buying gems indirectly through gold to gems purchases is one of those ways. Selling items directly for gold would hurt ANet’s finances and they would have no reason to do this.

As I read the OP, the poster is aware of how the exchange works. What I see being asked is that using gold to get store items would occur in one step (mouse over item's gem price, see gold price, click) rather than two steps (go to exchange and exchange gems for gold, then buy the item). If I am correct, gold-->gems would still function according to the exchange rate, but the transaction would occur in the background, rather than requiring user participation. Also, if I am correct, this is perhaps the most glaring example of the "more convenience" mindset I've seen on these boards.

I think the confusion may stem from the perception that gems bought with gold are newly created by that purchase. But as I understand it the gems you purchase with gold have already been purchased with rl money by another player, then sold to you for gold. So selling tp items directly for gold would interfere with maintaining an accurate gem/gold conversion rate . . .

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:I would like to buy things from the TP with Gold without going through the conversion process of Gold -> Gems.It’s possible to link the current prices with each item.

This YouTube has an interesting discussion on mmo economics and how having 2 currencies like gems and gold actually solves a lot of problems and can make for a better game.