[Merged] Feedback about today's Icebrood Saga announcement

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For clarification: The announcement was not at PAX, it was near PAX before PAX started. And as others pointed out the merch section was not nearly as long as people keep exaggerating it to.

As I have stated, every time there has been a live streaming or an event has been to present an expansion. As much as the August 30 event was announced as a presentation of the Living History, the background and hype created with the countdown added to the announcement clearly implied that there would be more announcements in that event. Obviously, the players immediately thought of two words: habemus expansion, and expectations soared.

Doesn't mean livestreams or presentations have to be expansions. And they gave us something cool to watch while waiting. I thought it was neat, I did not see the countdown as something meant to indicate some massive announcement that was going to blow my mind. They said it was living story and it was living story. I do not think Anet did anything that indicated otherwise, it was just people reading too deep into nothing and getting themselves too worked up.

However, it is not acceptable that, either because of the nervousness or the surprise at the reaction of the players to the event, an attempt was made to use the lack of ethics of that group of trolls and stalkers to minimize the impact of the criticisms of a broad number of players.

I did not see this, I saw a post that was made that addressed toxic people, the post did not say anything that, to me, would imply they were saying all negative responses were toxic. It was the people who decided to take it as if anything negative was being called toxic.

The complaints presented by these players are fully legitimized. The Alliances, to expose one of the most bleeding examples, has been no less than twenty months "in process", and the explanations given about its operation there by the beginning of 2018 left no more than doubts. The Dungeons, in the PvE section, is another bleeding case, abandoned for more than four years.

Anet should give us an update on allianced. But to bring up dungeons is silly. Anet has openly said they will not be working on dungeons anymore. So anyone who is waiting for something to happen to them is deluding themselves.

@Vayne.8563 said:Twice we've had announcements and this is the third. That means we have a data set of three. But this one we were told what they'd be talking about, regardless of what was said before. They said they'd be talking about Season 5. They didn't say they were announcing an expansion and I didn't expect an announcement of an expansion. I expected them to talk about Season 5.

I also said, on reddit, that I believe this announcement really wasn't for us, but for others who wasn't playing to get more people into the game. I was shouted down then, but I don't know. If I figured it out beforehand it can't be that hard to figure out. I read what Anet said was going to be discussed, saw it was at the beginning of the Pax Weekend and did the math. I didn't expect much more than they said. I went in with those expectations.

People built up something based on a data set of 2. And I get why that happened. And Anet could have managed expectations better. That's on them. But let's not pretend that Anet didn't give us a clue beforehand on what was going to be discussed, because they did.

I agree. I think this is why they put so much emphasis on Season 5 being free for everyone who has PoF even though that's standard practice for a Living World release. An announcement like this is ideal for reaching people outside their existing fan base because there will be people in town for PAX who will go along just because their friends are going, or because they don't have anything else to do and it's free. Not to mention the high chance of being included in media coverage of PAX.

So the message here was: this is a great time to get into GW2; buy the latest expansion and you get the base game and the previous expansion included in the price and then you'll get all this new stuff we're showing you for free as well.

And yeah, I don't understand why so many people assumed it would be an expansion announcement even after they told us it would be season 5. If you went by what most games companies do you could say even an expansion doesn't warrant an announcement at a convention and they shouldn't have bothered unless it was a new game. And looking at MMOs specifically what Anet didn't isn't unusual. Elder Scrolls Online also had a special event at PAX to announce their next DLC, and their players were fine with that because they knew in advance the next release would be a paid DLC.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:Twice we've had announcements and this is the third. That means we have a data set of three. But this one we were told what they'd be talking about, regardless of what was said before. They said they'd be talking about Season 5. They didn't say they were announcing an expansion and I didn't expect an announcement of an expansion. I expected them to talk about Season 5.

I also said, on reddit, that I believe this announcement really wasn't for us, but for others who wasn't playing to get more people into the game. I was shouted down then, but I don't know. If I figured it out beforehand it can't be that hard to figure out. I read what Anet said was going to be discussed, saw it was at the beginning of the Pax Weekend and did the math. I didn't expect much more than they said. I went in with those expectations.

People built up something based on a data set of 2. And I get why that happened. And Anet could have managed expectations better. That's on them. But let's not pretend that Anet didn't give us a clue beforehand on what was going to be discussed, because they did.

I agree. I think this is why they put so much emphasis on Season 5 being free for everyone who has PoF even though that's standard practice for a Living World release. An announcement like this is ideal for reaching people outside their existing fan base because there will be people in town for PAX who will go along just because their friends are going, or because they don't have anything else to do and it's free. Not to mention the high chance of being included in media coverage of PAX.

So the message here was: this is a great time to get into GW2; buy the latest expansion and you get the base game and the previous expansion included in the price and then you'll get all this new stuff we're showing you for free as well.

And yeah, I don't understand why so many people assumed it would be an expansion announcement even after they told us it would be season 5. If you went by what most games companies do you could say even an expansion doesn't warrant an announcement at a convention and they shouldn't have bothered unless it was a new game. And looking at MMOs specifically what Anet didn't isn't unusual. Elder Scrolls Online also had a special event at PAX to announce their next DLC, and their players were fine with that because they knew in advance the next release would be a paid DLC.

I don't agree it was for new players. It was pretty much more focused on veterans since they focused on the continuing story, the lore and added some cool merch which is also specifically aimed at long standing players (eg the artbook which many of us have craved). That is something I regard as a positive.

That said, of course they made it more accessible for new players or catch up players. Every MMO worth a grain of salt does this and Anet is doing what it should do here.

In that context it can be validly argued it was aimed at everyone, but it is very difficult to argue this was mostly for new or lapsed players

At the end of the day, they did nothing wrong, they just didn't utilise their time well enough or manage the expectations well enough. They knew full well they wanted to hype it (why would any company not want to hype an announcement after all), but they lacked the substance to really elevate the announcement given the stageg they brought it to. It needed more info on the new features, more gameplay footage - trailer or hands on and more reassurance at least for the other game modes even if they didn't advertise it (they mentioned other non advertised things after all).

It is what it is and we've banged on about it enough and time to let the subject drop and fade away. New, free content coming. Not how I wanted it, but how I expected it and I'll still play it. All I want is finally to have a decent story arc. This might finally be that one given how excellent that trailer is, how enticing the magazine made it and how much I have looked forward to this particular setting.

We shall see...

@MachineManXX.9746 said:This topic has already been beaten to death. The novel you just wrote has already been repeated hundreds of times.

But still mostly unresolved. The concern for the games future never went away...just the people that were concerned...and that is the whole point of it all. Game is in decline, people pleaded, nothing happened, people left.

What this all boils down to is that Anet is getting worse at being precise about all the cool stuff coming and focusing more on hyping newer players and revealing less details.

We'll see if the season is going to be great like the previous ones and expansions. To see if this publicity angle they tried was either their idea of a new angle, forced on them, or just bad delivery.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I don't agree it was for new players. It was pretty much more focused on veterans since they focused on the continuing story, the lore and added some cool merch which is also specifically aimed at long standing players (eg the artbook which many of us have craved). That is something I regard as a positive.

That said, of course they made it more accessible for new players or catch up players. Every MMO worth a grain of salt does this and Anet is doing what it should do here.

In that context it can be validly argued it was aimed at everyone, but it is very difficult to argue this was mostly for new or lapsed players

At the end of the day, they did nothing wrong, they just didn't utilise their time well enough or manage the expectations well enough. They knew full well they wanted to hype it (why would any company not want to hype an announcement after all), but they lacked the substance to really elevate the announcement given the stageg they brought it to. It needed more info on the new features, more gameplay footage - trailer or hands on and more reassurance at least for the other game modes even if they didn't advertise it (they mentioned other non advertised things after all).

It is what it is and we've banged on about it enough and time to let the subject drop and fade away. New, free content coming. Not how I wanted it, but how I expected it and I'll still play it. All I want is finally to have a decent story arc. This might finally be that one given how excellent that trailer is, how enticing the magazine made it and how much I have looked forward to this particular setting.

We shall see...

I think the lore stuff would have attracted people into lore and story. But the biggest part of the announcement. The stuff we didn't know already was HoT coming free now. They made a big big emphasis on free. Anet is too smart and too experienced a company to think that the bulk of an audience plays just for story. The farmers don't necessarily care about story. Completionists and achievement point hunters may or may not care about story. And to announce everything they announced without trying to get new people? That was a blog post, not a rent a theater thing. I can't imagine the number of vets who are disappointed, loudly disappointed, and then people think this somehow targeted vets. I don't get it.

Of course it would have attracted some new people, but the bulk of the lore and story will be aimed at the existing playerbase who understood what the story is about and how the Living World works. The merch - also aimed at the existing playerbase. A Joko funko is not aimed at new players after all. It's aimed at....well me because I'm exactly the sort of person who'd buy it and the artbook too. But I'm heavily invested. And I REALLY want that artbook.

As I said already, the change in price was aimed at new/lapsed players definitely, but it's the only part of the announcement tailored specifically to them and it came as a bonus extra on top of the main theme of the continuation of the Living World.At best it's an announcement for everyone, but predominantly for existing players and they showed that as well via how they communicated the announcement - it was largely a footnote in articles outside of their exiting community platforms. 7 years on that is to be expected.

As for vets being disappointed - no doubt, but I've never really felt Anet always understood their playerbase and that's a mix of their offish stance towards its community, but also partly due to the size and diversity of the community itself. I can fully understand an announcement being aimed at vets, but still upsetting them. It happens a lot across many ongoing gaming franchises.

Anyway, it's irrelevant since it still had something for either side. It may not have been well received, but the fuss has by and large died down and it's less than 10 days until the start. As long as that episode (and beyond) is decent enough, the "controversy" will be something a few will prob dig up every now and again to throw back at the devs just to labour the point about their communication system, but everyone else who plays pve will just get on with it.

Basically, as everyone else has said - it's time to move on. Point OP made was made enough a week ago for Anet to have fully understood any sentiments.

Don't ever post any feedbacks here. Two reasons:

1. Too many diehard fans in this forum. Whatever being said, legit or facts, will be trolled and flamed unless they are compliments and ' Thank You ANet ' topics.

2. Many official announcements are being posted FIRST in reddit, not here. You will be better heard and received there.

And judging from ANet's recent response, which is none, they may read your feedbacks but that is all. Read Only. Everything said will be ignored and not taken seriously unless they are calls for nerfs.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Kaleygh.1524 said:I don`t get why they hyped this so much, even going as far as to rent a theater for something they could have just streamed from their office. As for the announcement itself, it was shallow and disappointing.

The best analogy I have seen for this was calling a meeting when an email would have done (although I consider that being generous).

Spot on! My thoughts exactly!

I think the point that most fans of Guild Wars want is that they are willing to pay for new content; in favor of receiving more content more frequently than living story episodes.

Customers that are willing to pay for new content are very different from the free to play crowd that are less likely to support the game.

Of course the free loaders will be happy with more free content. But the driving force is that most loyal fans are willing to pay for new content. And it just so happens that willingness to pay for new content in the PC Gaming industry is through Expansions.

Perhaps the point of the August 30th announcement was for everyone that has not bought Path of Fire already, better do it now in order to receive Season 5 (Saga) for free.

Now of course your loyal fan base which has already bought both expansions for this game want more, are now begging and proclaiming how much we desperately need New Content and we are willing to pay for it !

This is what matters the most to me and I don’t think has been stated directly. The fans that were upset by this announcement, who were dedicated enough to attend or even view the annoucement, wanted something tangible to look forward too. And the driving point, is that we as community state we are willing to pay for it.

Please make new content for all the GW2 game-modes, as we love this game and we want more of it ! And are willing to pay for it ! We need a new Expansion, sometime in the next 2 years in order for this game to not die off and be forgotten.

Here's a sobering thought, they admitted expansions have not been dropped they are still being considered.It's the same as admitting they are not working on one and if they ever change their minds, not that there is something wrong with their minds, mind you!!!Starting to work on an expansion after the Saga would bring us to late 2022, early 2023. I'm gonna try the saga but only try, the second I realize we go back to old maps too often and new content is also being phased out as is expansion. That will confirm my suspicions that there is no expansion and it is not the expansion that moves it is only yourself.....on your way out the door.If I'm right goodbye Anet, you will not milk me. :o

• 2 months later...

It's good to see SOME people looking at things a bit more reasonably here, there seems to be this huge amount of hate that this game is getting that I just don't really understand, comparisons of it to other games out there that are really...strange to say the least, and don't seem to actually hold up, just being ways to try and take shots at the game for some reason. You raise a fair amount of good points for the game, and I would love to see some new elite spec, would be nice to get some touchups to dungeons (Especailly Aetherblade path, seriously guys, just remove that stupid ooze puzzle at the start of this and this would be hands down the best dungeon path).

However, there is a criticism of the game that I feel more comes from people really not using the sheer amount of potential this game gives with builds.

@Ragi.7291 said:

• An overhaul of the DEATH branch of Necro and Pets Necro(because their only utility is for AFK Farm and Bot)
  • Make every Spe at least 2 Build viable in each game mode.(example : When are you seeing a Druid DPS in PVE? Why have 9 different traits if it is useful to do 1 thing Heal/buff power)

See, I can't speak for every trait in the game when I say this, most specs in the game give a great deal of really viable options depending on how you want to build your character. Druid is a really iffy one I will say, at least in my view of them, the only real choices to make are in the first line and between Grace of the Land or Lingering Light. second line just seems to have fairly weak options all around though. Take for instance the Necro stuff being mentioned. Now, since I started doing my Necro build it's become my main go to character (Here it is if you're interested: [&DQgTPQIVIjWbAJsADxMPE3YAdgDkAOQAlQCVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=] Using a mix of Soldiers and Knights gear, with Superior runes of the ranger, Sigils of force and accuracy on greatsword, with axe/focus to swap too which has Force and Bloodlust to stack up power on weaker mobs)

The characters is an absolute beast of a bruiser, disgustingly tanky despite still outputting a bunch of damage, and though it can't provide much support in most regards, it can rapidly revive downed players. It's what I default to whenever I feel I need to carry group content on my own, while still being quite useful in a group. I think people get a bit too tunnel-visioned on the meta aspects of the game. Outside of Raids (Which lets be honest, the only reason they're like this is because of Time Limit's, which are basically what makes them have such toxic elitism around them too.) the game is really lenient on what you can do for your build. Not a lot of people take advantage of that, but I've been getting a fair few friends into the game and they have been having the exact opposite problem, one of them was asking my advice for their guardian because there were so many different ways they could do the thing they wanted to do and wanted help on which one I thought would work best for them. (Which I surprised myself by looking into what they were doing and finding it was probably dragonhunter, I'd never realised they had such good defensive power behind them with their traitings)

That being said, I have no idea of the situation in WvW and PvP. I took my Minionmancer Necro into PvP recently and it worked out pretty well, but I really do not touch the competitive aspects of games much at all, not a fan of the communities competitive content tends to foster, you may be very very right there and there's not much in terms of viability in PvP and WvW, it's super hard to try and balance that kind of stuff, and I'm not sure if that side of the game will see much variety.

But when it comes to PvE, the game really does just let you do almost anything you could want with a class, probably the most restrictive is thief given how self focused their traiting and moves typically are, but even then you could kinda do a venom thief if you wanted to try and make them supportive, and there's plenty of room to make a tanky kind of thief, so even in that there's a wealth of options. It's why my biggest hope is that sometime during this Saga we will get some more elite specs, because every opportunity to play around with new builds and discover fun interesting playstyles is a huge plus to me with this game.

@"Caberea.8139"I should have specified in a competitive or HL content.Because in open mode of course everything is viable all moobs kill themselves in auto attack.As soon as anet wanted to put a little bit of difficulty on some mobs with HOT, the community shouted that it was too hard, when there is either a need for a CC or a dodge.

The necro is one of the most played and used classes at the lower level because it allows a lot of mistakes.But HL level, and pvp, it is one of the hardest and most useless classes.

1. it has no survival and escape, freedom of movement (in WvW and PvP it is the only class that needs a healer the Fb otherwise it just does nothing and gets killed in 2s)
  2. she brings nothing to her group, all the classes of the game bring buffs with their feature or skill the necro very little power.Teamplay and mutual support is super important what the necro doesn't do.
  3. is the lowest Dps of the game, while it brings nothing.
  4. we use the Corruption skills that take our lives or impose conditions on us, which puts us in a combative state, which slows us down, which prevents us from being self-reactive... for very low skills compared to other classes that do much better things for a very much lower cost.
  5. after the last point is that all the necromancer's weapon skills must have a target and hit.

This is a problem I will give 3 examples:

1. Grap Vs TPA Grap must hit, it can be blocked, dodged, moved, interrupted by the scenery, the enemies can have stab, it can breackstun, you can be blinded, interrupted,.....and all that to just bring a target to a place.a TP, you can use it to engage, disengage, you can very often make combo to make yourself furtive or have an aura and apart from the interruption to the frame ready you have 0 disadvantage.

1. Now let's take the necro's horns and the warrior's horns.necroA daze competence in cone 30s CDA skill to get up and running quickly and inflicted damage to 180 radius and FL 30s CD (which can"t crit)

WarriorA skill of 3 dispell, + buff speed + fury + 2 attacks +25% damage + explosive combo on 10 people! 15s CD (600 radius)A barrier skill + 3 dispell + vigour + resistance + explosive combo on 10 people! 20s CD (600 radius)

One has larger CDs, smaller radii, less effect, less target number + must interact with an enemy which implies everything I said about the grap.The other one has everything better it buffs it is companions, apartment to be interrupted it can generate the maxium of these skillsmost of the necromancer's weapon skills are below the other professions (CD, impact, versatility, radius)

1. Lately the resource.The necromancer has 2 resources: his life and his life force.His life, I have already listed all the disadvantages above with the corruption skills.The life force is generated only on certain skills that must touch or activate their triger. Our life force is supposed to be our survival and our dps with the shroud.In pvp or wvw we have to kill our enemies twice to get some FL back. (once upright, once for completiona kill) compared to the pve you kill a target you have life force.Moreover your amount of FL is proportional to your life.

The thief, are endurance and initiative.It is 2 resources reloads itself + it has features and skills that do not need to interact with the opponent to improve its reload.

One passively finds these resources passively.The other must use spells and touch or kill opponents to find them.

watch this video to see at the hl.some classes can passively ignore half of the damage of the game passively for example.