Why people so mad?

@coso.9173 said:i think strikes qualify as expac like features. it's a new system that didn't exist before, isn't that what an expansion brings?

That's the problem, they never clarified what exactly they meant by that. And since we have no actual roadmap most of the vets are left to wonder about if these features will ever come. Expac like features means something different to everyone. For some that will be enough. For others it will be a snore fest. The fact that things like this were focused on over things like elite specs is what has people upset. I think most of us see promise with strikes, but i personally don't have faith that anet will pull it off well and it will probably end up being a glorified world boss for 10 people.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@coso.9173 said:i think strikes qualify as expac like features. it's a new system that didn't exist before, isn't that what an expansion brings?

Expansions usually come bundled with features. Strikes are only one feature, just like LW maps are condensed versions of expansion maps, which are vast and sprawling landscapes.

i mean yeah, but the point of adding expansion like features to living world episodes, it's pretty clear that the idea is to add them slowly too. not all at once. I think this is the first of them. and I wish we had more info on it, but to say it doesn't count is a bit much. there are many things besides new elite specs.

/cynicism on

Many gamers who post on forums are never going to be happy. They might as well be Buddhists, because they live in a context of dissatisfaction. If by some miracle ANet had announced an expansion to come out in October, people would be complaining about how it wasn't going to be worth the price.

/cynicism off

gah, the off switch isn't working

It's simple: compared to the other popular competing MMO games updates and expansions here are scarce. I was shocked to hear that they don't bring an expansion after ls4. Why that? You need them to attract old and new people.

While I knew they would announce a new LS story, I hoped for a) more details and b) the hope for an announcement for an expansion. They are spiralling down into nothingness. The competition shows how you can gain popularity, GW2 shows how you lose popularity. Our guild shrinked from 500 to 400 within a year from 2017 to 2018 and is now down to 270. My friend list has usually 2-3 people online, the rest quit and I talk about some long term fans from GW1. I can't hear anymore all those excuses who try to reconcile the situation. No, this may have been the last chance to turn around the ship and I fear it won't take any longer until the ship sinks. Even WP was disappointed and this means something as he is usually very positive towards the franchise.

That said, I am looking forward and play from time to time and the new group content looks nice. Deep in my heart I still hope they will give us a Cantha expansion. But that is wishful thinking...

@thepenmonster.3621 said:

@Conqueror.3682 said:If Arenanet said there was not going to be an expansion, then what the kitten the people were expecting?

An expansion

The thing they said a year ago they weren't going to make?

Anet said they were going to release expansion like features in this new content. People were expecting that bare minimum to be revealed.

Im not mad I just hope we get elite specs themed around the expansion, Jormag/eldritch horror/charr themed specs could be super cool and I don't want them to miss the opportunity to make darker and more epic themed specs. I couldn't care less what they do after this point, its the story and the maps I've always wanted to go to. Personally after this point the story could go any which way once the saga and tales of these two races are done and Id probably be like "Ok, whatever".

But if no elite specs come Ill be kinda sad, because I think this saga will easily last two years and is their main source of additional gameplay. They seem to be heavily against an expansion right now and are trying to convince us that saga's can replace them. Elite specs are a major part of an expansion so we need them to show that yes, indeed they can replace expansions ~ Plus new ways to play, and new toys for our classes always bring people back and hold interest so It would give us a ton more to do and play with.

@"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:2019 and big game updates in MMORPG:

FFXIV - ShadowBringers xpacWoW- WoW ClassicESO - Elsweyr xpacGW2 - cricket sounds

I wouldn't consider gouging out all the features people paid for in subscriptions and updates for WoW over the years, then selling them a "Classic" game stripped of them and making money from it all over again. WoW players.... mugs? :S

I want to see 10 million bug updates in GW2 more than anything else. It's disgusting how in 7 years so many bugs were never touched. I understand why people are peeved about various other reasons though.

@"The one to Rule.2593" said:It's not that people were expecting an expac, it's that anet in april said that since they were not doing an expac, we could expect expansion like features within the living story episodes. ( Elite specs are the only thing common to both expacs that we have not gotten in living story) so people were expecting things such as elite specs to at least be confirmed that they are being worked on. For them to fix the bugs and balance issues in pvp that have existed for more than a year. For them to confirm that they are still in fact working on raids and fractals, for them to actually say " Here's the alliances feature we talked about but never delivered on" Instead we got the infamous " It'll come soon" line that's been repeated for 3 years now.

People are upset because this revealed that anet is in as dire straights as they appeared after the layoffs. We want to know wether to continue to invest in a dying game.

All coupled with the fact that arena net hyped this up like never before. It was more hyped than both POF and HOT and the only other time they made an announcement like this was to announce HOT and all the content that came with it. Understandably people were expecting more and I think you knew that. Being intellectually dishonest as if you don't know why people are upset does nothing to help the situation either.

A dying game? Maybe there aren't enough raids, or PvP isn't getting the love and care it needs, but this is far from a dying game. I don't know about you but I'm playing content all the time. The content is particularly skewed to my play style, but I'd wager I'm not close to alone here. There's been plenty of updates since the layoff, but of course, those updates would have been in process for a long time. However, we've also been told, and I have reason to believe, that the layoffs mostly were not Guild Wars 2 related. That the bulk of the people laid off were working on other projects. Some people working on canceled projects have returned to Guild Wars 2, so tell me. Do you know if there are more or less people now working on Guild Wars 2 than say 2-3 years ago. No one can say. But I suspect the situation isn't as dire as some seem to paint.

For example, the quarterly report, the last one released, shows the game is doing as well now (or even slightly better) than it did in most of 2016. Not sure how you guys track a dying game or not, but that's not it. Game is 7 years old and stable.

@"Vayne.8563" said:Do you know if there are more or less people now working on Guild Wars 2 than say 2-3 years ago. No one can say.

Actually...

@"Eurogamer" said:So people have gone from the Guild Wars 2 team?"It has impacted but-"Linsey Murdock cut in: "We also got a lot of people back. So in terms of quantity of people on the Guild Wars 2 team: not very affected. But some people who had moved onto other projects came back."

So it seems that:

• People from the Guild Wars 2 team did leave
  • They did get people back who had been assigned on other projects
  • Despite people getting back, the quantity of people on the GW2 team didn't change much ("not very affected"). Which means, the amount of people they lost was similar to the amount of people they got back. So either they didn't get that many people back (which is unlikely, considering how Linsey said a lot of people came back), or A LOT of people from the GW2 team left

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:Do you know if there are more or less people now working on Guild Wars 2 than say 2-3 years ago. No one can say.

@"Eurogamer" said:So people
have
gone from the Guild Wars 2 team?"It has impacted but-"Linsey Murdock cut in: "We also got a lot of people back. So in terms of quantity of people on the Guild Wars 2 team: not very affected. But some people who had moved onto other projects came back."

So it seems that:
  • People from the Guild Wars 2 team did leave
  • They did get people back who had been assigned on other projects
  • Despite people getting back, the quantity of people on the GW2 team didn't change much ("not very affected"). Which means, the amount of people they lost was similar to the amount of people they got back. So either they didn't get that many people back (which is unlikely, considering how Linsey said a lot of people came back), or A LOT of people from the GW2 team left

Exactly. We don't know how many people are working on the team. So using the layoffs as a reason for anything becomes meaningless. For all we know the same number of people are working on the game, There's no evidence one way or another. You're making a lot of assumptions here. We don't really have that information.

@Vayne.8563 said:You're making a lot of assumptions here. We don't really have that information.

Oh, we do. It's only the logical conclusion from the quotes in that interview. In fact, we can tell that this:

@Vayne.8563 said:However, we've also been told, and I have reason to believe, that the layoffs mostly were not Guild Wars 2 related.

Isn't exactly correct. Looks like a lot of people from the Guild Wars 2 team left. Which, really, only matches what we have seen, considering the high profile people who have left ArenaNet (Gaile Gray, Mathew Medina, and so on).

@"Holgarf.6581" said:As somewhat of a critic of ANet and GW2 but someone who of course still enjoys the game, I don't see why people are so maaadddddd about the reveal event. The story is what drives the game. What did you expect?

Assuming there is more more easily accessible content, instead of the super grind that 99% of GW2 is and perhaps some more cosmetics outside of the ever looming Gem Store, I think this will be great. If I could pick anything though, it'd be more optimisation and bug fixes to the old game, since so many were left behind and haven't been touched in 7 years. These guys need more than a 1 man patch team. I would very much like to see QoL updates, improved cursors, and such. I hope each of our characters gets 1 free build slot each. I'd be pretty mad if it cost 1200 gems for a build slot. All of these things can still be achieved.

Overall I think the event was pretty good. And it's nice of Anet to give HoT away for free - that's also beneficial to everybody else.

(Please though, no more mount unlock grinds... the Griffon and Skyscale I can live with... but, no more... I'll die).

I think the problem is people who just play open world, and don't play the end game content don't understand our emotions. You don't understand how raids take 9 months to make and we only get 3 bosses, but open world gets new bosses every episode. You don't understand how pvp is still stuck on fixing monthly At's, but open world gets fixes the next day. You don't understand how wvw isn't getting any updates. So the people who actually do most of the content besides open world, and story and like to kill everything in our paths, don't get anything. Even though we play most of the game. So when Arenanet announced a so called "big announcement." We expected at least something that would help end game. The players who play multiple years in this game got sidelined compared to new players. New players got a cheaper version of the game and got set for life since they combined pof with hot. New players got a easier 10 man content to get prepared for raids. New players got story. And what do we get? Literally nothing... O wait pvp players got a new pvp Armor set.... true content... kappa. As much as people want to argue, What arenanet said on their announcement was nothing new. The only thing was strike missions. We already knew in season 5 that we're getting story and maps. But we didn't know where in story were headed. So technically story isn't even new ether. If you look at this page everything they said was already said ahead of time. Literally. The 4 diff teams for open world. The renewed pvp swiss, wvw having reworks preparing for alliance. All this was announced months ago.

So we the veterans expected at least somewhat of what was released on season 4 however, we didn't get a mount, legendary weapon, a new fractal, like literally nothing. Hell Anet didn't even show the build template Ui. Like it takes 7 years to make build templates when they already made it in guild wars 1? The other problem is people justifying "oh its free". Look, if Arenanet truly wanted to give out better content, a seasons pass would be easy. Instead they choose to stay in free content and choose to roll out skins and charge skins the same amount of money as the game now. Like the game is literally $30 now. And mount skin packs cost 2000 gems. Its the treatment Arenanet has on veterans that makes us mad. So guess whats happening? NA lfg for raids is dead, and hard to find raid statics, not because people hate doing it, but because Arenanet does not update raids for people to stay. wvw players leaving because all they have been given in the last few years is a mount. PVP players leaving because Arenanet can't even fix a bug in the AT. No new game modes for pvp. So to say why are we mad? Because Arenanet chooses not to give veterans anything but lets open worlders and story players get content every single episode. All we want is something for us to play in. Hell every person on end game would be happy to pay, but their free to play is messing their veterans hopes and dreams, and its delaying them to roll out content. That is why were angry. We just want........ love like open worlders and story players. We even say we would pay if they needed it, but they choose not to. Sooooo now vets are pretty much leaving cause nothing new.......

The link that Arenanet announced in april of what to expect. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/