I'm not casual.

I play regularly. I buy gems regularly. Sometimes I can't login because of RL, but I still have goals in the game. It feels good to win, but I can't do every game mode, and to be honest, some parts are not that interesting to me. I focuson the parts I like, and tend to ignore the parts I don't. I don't raid, but I pvp. You do this, but I do that. I care about the game and I hope the company that makes it can keep it going (the franchise at least). I feel like the make the game for me and players like me. I don't mean the players that do what I do, but are how I am. You know, they make a lot of things in the game, we have PvP, WvW, PvE, Raids, Fractals... (the last bit may be one group, but there is some differentiation). What if you like to just collect all the fashion? It takes time, takes some reading of guids, and it is quite the super quest. You see, this blend of interest, prolonged interest, that isn't focused on RAIDS, everybody's got RAIDS, doesn't mean you are casual. We are core, we are regular, and WE pay the bills. Nintendo acknowledge that this pissywissy leaf in the wind type player is as of little income as the 2% hardcore player.

I AM NOT CASUAL

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Torzini.1523 said:....Okay?

/characters

Exactly what I was about to type

I mean I didn't want to make I hate ANet post now.

I am a little disappointed that there was no real surprise pvp reveal like swiss, but I'm not worried about where they are going with the story.

Seems to be working out fine.

I'm looking forward to the Charrkinis.

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:You might be. Casual isn't epitomized by the amount of game play time but more by having a relaxed or at least not competitive, must win, attitude.https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Casual%20Gamer

And so what if you are?

I'm not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer#Dedication_spectrum

I would be a core gamer.

Blocki called it regular, and I like how that sounds too.

Like a bunch of old farts gathered at the pub, and then some new guys walk in and we give them the ole scowl. Then the bartender says" don't mind them, they're regulars".

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:You might be. Casual isn't epitomized by the amount of game play time but more by having a relaxed or at least not competitive, must win, attitude.https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Casual%20Gamer

And so what if you are?

Racism and discrimination against casuals. Because gamers do love their labels and tier lists, don't they?

And so what if you are?

Wow, do people actually think that the urban dictionary is actually a legitimate source?

I mean, really?

And so what if you are?

Urbandictionary isn't the best place to find a good definition ;)

Just look at the ruthless second definition for hardcore gamers.https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hardcore%20Gamer

@Trise.2865 said:

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:You might be. Casual isn't epitomized by the amount of game play time but more by having a relaxed or at least not competitive, must win, attitude.

Racism and discrimination against casuals. Because gamers do love their labels and tier lists, don't they?

I did not know "casuals" were a race. You learn something new every day...

@Crab Fear.1624 said:You know, they make a lot of things in the game, we have PvP, WvW, PvE, Raids, Fractals...

Maybe that's what caused them to stray from always applying the highest quality to all their content and giving everything the same amount of attention - it's just too much? The more you add to the plate, the more stress you have and the less time to put the most effort into each single dish.

I would have been fine if GW2 consisted only of PvE and WvW, to be honest. Then they could have made engaging open world raids like the new, upcoming missions from the start instead of adding an elitist, separate game mode to the game, or could have kept the story path feature that let players choose how they would like to proceed, which would have increased the joy of replayability, or could have come up with the exciting saga concept for living world a lot earlier, or implement QoL features that players have been asking for years ago.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:You might be. Casual isn't epitomized by the amount of game play time but more by having a relaxed or at least not competitive, must win, attitude.

And so what if you are?

He is hardcore in very short bursts.

I'm not hardcore, and I'm not softcore.

But, mom still won't let me stay up to watch what I am.

Hardcore has traditionally meant someone that pushes the limit. In gaming that has translated into players the want to be the best at what they do, to do the hardest content that many players dont attempt. Examples of hard core are people that play on the bleeding edge the world first raiders, the gladiators who play better and rank higher than others in the world. Thats where hard core comes from its the best of the best that push the limit. I dont think gw2 has a true hard core mode, they have harder content but nothing comparable to what you see in other games.

The game is more casual core with medhard content interlaced in small spots here and there. So to argue who is casual and who is hard core in a game of this nature is silly. There is a little of both but nothing extreme. My concern is the areas of the game that do require you to play well get neglected, and thats not good for the players that want to push this games limits.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Torzini.1523" said:....Okay?

/characters

I think he's upset because of my posts in another thread. (The Casuals are killing this game).

At OP

Being a casual is not an insult or something to feel shame for.....but no one cares if you're casual, hardcore or somewhere inbetween

No, I am not upset.

Trolls of my caliber don't upset so easily.

I created this as soon as we started our conversation, at the point you disagreed.

I felt it was going to completely derail the thread.

I'm glad you joined us over here.

Let the arguing commence.

3M7TT1J.png

tl;dr "casual" doesn't mean the same to everyone; try not to assume others will use it as youand better: phrase comments without the term to avoid any confusion

"Casual" is one of those words that everyone uses different and... unfortunately, hardly anyone using the term recognizes that other people are going to interpret it differently. Since the purpose of language is to communicate our ideas, it is a good idea to avoid "jargon" that doesn't have a single, well-accepted meaning.

In particular, some people use "casual" to mean "plays occasionally." Others use it to mean, "plays without worrying about optimum strategies." That makes @"Vayne.8563" a "hardcore casual:" he plays often, without min-maxing everything. It makes a lot of veterans "casual hardcore," because they min-max it all, but only every 2-3 months and only for a weekend or two. "Farming" is often considered casual, and yet there are people who get very intense about it.

Other terms that get people into trouble because other people use them differently: pay-to-win, elitist, toxic, meaningful content, challenging content, end game, story-driven content, and, well "content." Bonus terms that people use without acknowledging not everyone knows what the speaker/poster means: expansion-like content, living world, season, saga, announcement about the living world, and all the other corporate-branding jargon that we use in every game.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:tl;dr "casual" doesn't mean the same to everyone; try not to assume others will use it as youand better: phrase comments without the term to avoid any confusion

"Casual" is one of those words that everyone uses different and... unfortunately, hardly anyone using the term recognizes that other people are going to interpret it differently. Since the purpose of language is to communicate our ideas, it is a good idea to avoid "jargon" that doesn't have a single, well-accepted meaning.

In particular, some people use "casual" to mean "plays occasionally." Others use it to mean, "plays without worrying about optimum strategies." That makes @"Vayne.8563" a "hardcore casual:" he plays often, without min-maxing everything. It makes a lot of veterans "casual hardcore," because they min-max it all, but only every 2-3 months and only for a weekend or two. "Farming" is often considered casual, and yet there are people who get very intense about it.

Other terms that get people into trouble because other people use them differently: pay-to-win, elitist, toxic, meaningful content, challenging content, end game, story-driven content, and, well "content." Bonus terms that people use without acknowledging not everyone knows what the speaker/poster means: expansion-like content, living world, season, saga, announcement about the living world, and all the other corporate-branding jargon that we use in every game.

lol, i see what you did there