Griffon Controls Rework Please

Hi Anet,

Not sure why the griffon controls need to be as complicated as they are, which is to say they're not particularly natural. I'd suggest reworking the last masteries for the space bar so they permit higher altitude gain automatically without one moment of needing to dive. Forced diving to gain altitude in later masteries is just weird and feels unnatural. So, if I am on the ground with mastery level 4, I ought to be able to continue to climb simply by pressing the space bar as it recharges. Up up and away. It will be slow, but it will work naturally. The griffon IS an avian-like beast, right? It knows how to fly? Maybe?

If I want speed though, let the diving begin! Not sure why the space bar in later mastery skills remains simply a slight push. No no, up up and away with each press. Please. Thanks.

The restrictions on flight are necessary, it wil be a disaster to allow pure flight. Any imaginative path designed for us to play through is destroyed by pure flight - it is dangerous having the bunny-roo and the griffon as they are. Every time that Anet want us to go through a certain path they need walls on both sides the bunny cannot jump over and no high place we can glide or fly from nearby, this is going to put a lot of constraints on the design team.

We must never get pure flight as it will only make these problems worse and we will lose a lot from the game, no more exciting adventures just take off and landing A to B.

@Coulter.2315 said:The restrictions on flight are necessary, it wil be a disaster to allow pure flight. Any imaginative path designed for us to play through is destroyed by pure flight - it is dangerous having the bunny-roo and the griffon as they are. Every time that Anet want us to go through a certain path they need walls on both sides the bunny cannot jump over and no high place we can glide or fly from nearby, this is going to put a lot of constraints on the design team.

We must never get pure flight as it will only make these problems worse and we will lose a lot from the game, no more exciting adventures just take off and landing A to B.

Or, just like jumping puzzles, mounts can be disallowed in areas where mounting up would break the puzzle.

Nope, I absolutely love the flight system for the Griffon. It's involved, requires skill and therefore mastery, and is something I can practice to get better at. The races throughout Elona are also amazingly fun. The Griffon's flight design holds true to the general design principles of Guild Wars 2's mount: it has weight and presence, and doesn't just feel like some accessory to move you from point A to B.

@Zenith.7301 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:The restrictions on flight are necessary, it wil be a disaster to allow pure flight. Any imaginative path designed for us to play through is destroyed by pure flight - it is dangerous having the bunny-roo and the griffon as they are. Every time that Anet want us to go through a certain path they need walls on both sides the bunny cannot jump over and no high place we can glide or fly from nearby, this is going to put a lot of constraints on the design team.

Or, just like jumping puzzles, mounts can be disallowed in areas where mounting up would break the puzzle.

The whole map is the puzzle and flight breaks it. Unless you plan to ban mounts in the entire map you will seriously damage the flow and experience people get in the environment by introducing pure flight. You no longer need to fight your way through a map to get to your objective you just go up then forward then down. No longer will you meet other people as you progress forward (remember mobs slow you down and other people behind you catch up, mobs create a soft bottleneck which increases your chance of bumping into other players). No longer will you get a sense of the scale and beauty of the art and environment, you will just pass right over it.

I was there when they added flight to WoW, it must not happen here.

Griff feels great for general use, I do wish it had a bit more of a clear defined mechanic? Sometimes I can get increasingly high, and other times it feels like I've hit some sort of limit where it will no longer let me go higher on the vertical axis no matter how many times I swoop, and no matter how high/long I dive for, or how short I time it.

The speed boost mechanic could use a tweak, I shouldn't have to sacrifice that much height to get the speed boost.It also describes that I can use "wing flap speed boost" when pulling up, but I haven't been able to get that to work?

Another thing, it says I can press "backwards movement" to pull up, presuming that is my default bound S key it seems to do nothing and I have to use movement key 2 (which by default was not bound?)

it could use tweaks but I think it's good overall and doesn't need a rework for linear accent.

@Daishi.6027 said:Another thing, it says I can press "backwards movement" to pull up, presuming that is my default bound S key it seems to do nothing and I have to use movement key 2 (which by default was not bound?)

You can only climb/pull up after getting the speed boost from diving. Either way, I would still recommend using Mount Ability 2 for the maneuver as holding the "back" key too long will cause your Griffon to transition into "descend" mode.

A question: when I earned the 2nd level, the game said there were more griffon adventures, but gave no other indicator. Does this mean missions? Or did they use the word "adventures" to simply mean I now have extra keys to press? I saw an achievement, but it didn't have missions or objectives other than to earn level 2 mastery. Inquiring minds want to know.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

The whole map is the puzzle and flight breaks it. Unless you plan to ban mounts in the entire map you will seriously damage the flow and experience people get in the environment by introducing pure flight. You no longer need to fight your way through a map to get to your objective you just go up then forward then down. No longer will you meet other people as you progress forward (remember mobs slow you down and other people behind you catch up, mobs create a soft bottleneck which increases your chance of bumping into other players). No longer will you get a sense of the scale and beauty of the art and environment, you will just pass right over it.

Maps are not a puzzle lol.

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

I was there also when flight was added to WoW and it was fantastic. I met more people exploring on their mounts than previously. What destroyed WoW (from 12.5million players down to 7.5million, just before Blizz stopped reporting subscriber base) was Blizzard removing portals in Dalaran, nerfing druids, and dumbing down the game in general. Adding flyable mounts in WoW added to its fun, and it certainly wasn't a disaster.

@Zenith.7301 said:

@Coulter.2315 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

Maps are not a puzzle lol.

I think it's used as a metaphore here. skipping/flying over the zone isn't what Anet intents for people to do, they still want people to actively move through a map. And the world isn't really designed for extended flight, the zones are rather small to have a real benefit. even the PoF zones are really small for actual flight.

Besides you really don't want them to add actual flying right now.I was also there when they added flight, at first in the first expansion where it was added (the burning crusade) it was a nice addition, it was expensive to buy and slower than your ground movement. many zones were also only accessible by flight. it aws only available at the maximum level making you fight through the zones meet people and explore them.

the expansion after that also allowed flight in it's zones, it added a restriction where you weren't able to fy until later in the expansion. most zones didn't have any special treatment as in "it held a zone that is only accesible by flight" however one of the zones heavily relied on flying and even gave an item that allowed flight in that specific zone in order to do quests there.

Sadly, because in these two expansions flight was an actual part of the zones it was received really well, this caused blizzard to make the decision to allow flight in the core world zones. they made changes to the zones but it was still intended for people that didn't have any flying. this resulted in zones that didn't add anything to flying and made the world look many times smaller and less dangerous (this is also a result from the dumbing down of diffculty when it comes to combat).

I personally never liked the flying in the core zones, but i did support the flying in the new zones, since they can make it available at the end for quite a high sum of money, whilst these zones were made with flying in mind, it could add a lot more to the game.

So What I would suggest is that instead of changing the griffon into an actual flying mount, they should created one in a future expansion and only make it available to the zones where it is a part of the gameplay. And never add it to the core world and HoT, PoF or any other expansion that doesn't end up using flying. Because in my opinion (yours can be different of course) flying is only real fun when it is an actual integral part of the zone and not just an easy way to get somewhere.

Archived