My GW 2: Expansion 3 - We must explore the ocean!!!

Cyrin.1035

I am kinda torn.

In past games, having exclusive underwater patches, maps and content has been a bit underwhelming. It feels like one of those things that games do just to be able to check it off. "Underwater content, did that! Off the list!"

On the other hand, Arenanet has proven that they can do very interesting things with different biomes. The sandstorms in Dry Top is one of my favourite eviroment-related features and had hoped to see it again in PoF, but alas. I get hopelessly lost whenever I go to HoT maps, but they do capture the feel of a hostile jungle that I really like. Last season of LS we got a huge underground cave with a acidic sea and volcanic vents. And every single zone so far has been beautiful. I would be interested to see what they could do with more aquatic maps.

how about having some kind of heavy boots mastery so you can walk on the ocean floor as if it were land, but be able to disable it temporarily so you can swim for a bit? and maybe as some final mastery allow underwater weapons to be used on land as they would be used on the ocean floor with the new mastery

Well underwater content wouldn't be bad in itself. More than anything, making the new e-specs clearly for underwater content would be a good thing since it wouldn't impact PvP and WvW and we don't really need things that are messier in these two game modes. I would go as far as suggest the op to give underwater weapon to it's e-spec instead of land weapons.

• 1 month later...

Great idea. Could also add a underwater mount or two. It would be interesting to have something related storywise with the water god abbadon. They should also add to the sea expansion: a new race, dueling, inspect, guildvsguild, underwater wvw???, and a new capital: ATLANTIS :P

@Shirlias.8104 said:You do really want that gw2 sinks.I won't buy an expansion with underwater combat and environement.

We must learn from the past ( core underwater combat ) and never forget.

they would lose a couple of players, but gain thousands otherthey have successfully driven away most of their original playerbase, do you really think they would care about one more?i have never seen better UW combat in mmos, sadly they just dropped it for some other useless kitten

No, no underwater levels.I am having post-traumatic disorders of Sonic 2 on the MegaDrive. When the drowning-countdown music started I panicked.Then I died. "Bo-Bomm". Tails always died by falling into an underwater pit and reaching the bottom of the screen before, so he respawned and flew close to the surface watching me die. No thanks, no underwater gameplay (except for the freedom of swimming a bit around the shores) with awkward movement and gargling sound effects.

Excelsior.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:You do really want that gw2 sinks.I won't buy an expansion with underwater combat and environement.

We must learn from the past ( core underwater combat ) and never forget.

they would lose a couple of players, but gain thousands otherthey have successfully driven away most of their original playerbase, do you really think they would care about one more?i have never seen better UW combat in mmos, sadly they just dropped it for some other useless kitten

They said the same with pof and its mounts, and currently the copy which have been sold are less than hot.

And we had a -25% discount on the new expansion after 2 months.

Uw combat is probably better than others mmo, but still sucks and can't be a replacement for the terrain one.

Uw could be part of thr game, but not the game.

The underwater part seems unlikely. Unless they really remake underwater combat. It would be cool but i cannot see it happening.

But I find a Steve focused expansion in Cantha using Masteries tied to sailing to explore places like the the jade sea (that should be an actual sea now) very appealing. They definitely have similar tech for that. The skimmer tech should be quite close. Add combat to that it would be a great way to add the ocean into the mix without the need to extensive underwater combat. Although an underwater mount would be very cool as well. Would be quite useful on older maps as well.

OK how about this for an idea, instead of swimming we get some kind of mastery that allows us to move around under the sea like we would on land not sure how it would work but totally possible, that way you have the beauty of the underwater zones without the headache of water mechanics. The great thing about having a fantasy game is there always ways round a problem . ;)

@pureheart.6185 said:OK how about this for an idea, instead of swimming we get some kind of mastery that allows us to move around under the sea like we would on land not sure how it would work but totally possible, that way you have the beauty of the underwater zones without the headache of water mechanics. The great thing about having a fantasy game is there always ways round a problem . ;)

How about the devs just devote time to something the majority wants overall and not something that they have shown repeatedly to not really care about or care to make it work better.

There are a lot of other things they can spend time on that would improve the quality of this game overall.

Cantha. I don't care.UW rework and maps that have UW content to explore. Yes please.

The community is very split on UW content. Some love it, some hate, with only a few in the middle i think. I for one, loved UW content in this game, loved to explore and to move in a 3D environment. I know many players who don't like to or are unable to properly move in 3D and I don't blame them. I just want an expansion where UW matters again. Just like the real world doesn't stop at the shore of an ocean or the bank of a river. If I see a body of water on the map I want to dive there, want to see if there is something.

If I take HoT as an example, because the maps had lots of verticality and gliding was introduced, making the player experience movement in a 3D environment as well, just not UW. AB and DS are straight forward maps, you can get lost in the jungle and the verticality of the maps but it's nothing compared to VB or TD. Lots of ppl don't like the jungle, because they get lost and because they find the mobs to be harder than necessary. If we went UW somewhere on the map, the expansion wouldn't need to contain full UW maps with no dry land. If we had 4 maps, I'd have one at 70-80% UW(the new TD), one at 50-60%(the new VB) and two where the UW content only takes up a third of the map, maybe a starter Area and a DS like meta map, preparations on land, boss fight UW. something along those lines .

I just wished they'd rework UW and make it matter again.