Legend of the Celestial Engie

Smiggles.6823

So back on the old forums I heard tell of an ancient and strange tale of Fractal pve.

A mighty fellowship of the nation of Pug attempted T4. They came upon the first boss, and the Zerkers, they did fall. Twice they wiped and the group leader called "Let the DPS be Moar!"

Again they fought, again they fell.

"Moar dps! Moar Zerker gear!" exclameth the leader. Again they wiped the floor. In rage the leader fleed. Flee he did shouting "L2p ur kitten class, noobs!"

So the group prayed to Lfg, and a hero did rise. Shiny was the hero, in ascended of the stat celestial.

The groups dps was low but carry them did the hero, with a build of non-meta.

And so I ask the forums:

What was the Engies build? Of high sustain and lower dps it was that could carry a group of berserkers through tier 4.

Speak that I, a mighty Noob may learn.

Please?

cute but if you want a fast and safe run bring a ps warrior and a minstrel tempest/druid. legends of cele anything are just myths these days.

since you say it was a t4 run, thats post hot. at that point cele engi was stripped of damage and fell out of favor. his build wouldve been explosives, firearms, and either inventions or tools, and possibly couldve used alchemy instead of anything but explosives. but whether he was rifle or p/p and what utilities he took, i wont speculate. and thats not the case of the build carrying bads through the run, its the case of a good player playing a meh build and and being able to use his class knowledge to do an hour long run when you can just as easily have a 30 minute run without extensive class knowledge or skill.

lols I love the OP post, "a mighty noob" *laughs....hilariousThe answer to your question my kind sir is so simple...fractals have no timer, therefore, dps does not matter. Ever since meta builds came out it's like people forget that fractal is all about surviving as a team and on your own, especially in T4- at any point, a 5 man team is better than a 4 man team, priority no.1 is to always pick up your downed team member and survive together. Most likely the celestial engi might have carried quite a bit of team support skills like healing turret and supply crate, we got quite a few good traits for team support.It's a shame that's what people are like on fractals these days, I was playing my engi recently and someone commented "lols there's holosmith and you decide to play engi..." which I responded "yes" and then begin to witness that player getting downed every 10 minutes each time.
Just play what's comfortable, if everyone can survive, bring decent cc and some dps (you don't need top), then T4 fractals will be a smooth run. I mean a druid or minstrel tempest is great but you really don't need it, if you are at T4, everyone should have understood all the mechanics by then to survive it =p.

I don't think any of us here will provide you with THE exact build this engineer might have used. There's nothing painfully obvious on the traits when it's about sustain given that Scrapper, Inventions and Alchemy are all good defensive trait lines, and the mindset of each celestial engineer is likely to vary. Maybe... Explosives / Inventions / Alchemy? With the Healing Turret, the Elixir Gun and the Supply Crate as main supporting tools. The rest might have been Rifle and Grenades.

I'm frankly shocked by how many of the people in the GW2 community cannot seem to grasp the simple fact that your DPS is atrocious independent of your build if you spend half the run eating dirt because you're playing a glassy build on an unfamiliar profession, simply because it's better in an experimental setting or in the hands of an exceptionally skilled player.

A long while back, I used to run a PvE Cele Engi for a while (I still have the gear on an alt in case I ever get the itch again). This was a my build (though, some of the traits are gone now, so they've been shifted).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQJAqelUUh+sYJWwdLQ7FLpFlYItFVB4Jui113TFANAA-jxBBABCu/gZK/SUPBpq/88JAwRlgA8AACAkA8LFmAY9UP1T9UP1jqn6peqn6peqn6peqHhAEMGA-e

Looking back on it, I think I'd probably do some different stuff, today but you got lots of might and condi cleanse, near perma-vigor and swiftness, lots of fields, lots of blasts for stacking smoke, decent amount of CC, and were not going down quickly per se.

Hey I just picked a funny way to ask.> @digitalruse.9085 said:

A long while back, I used to run a PvE Cele Engi for a while (I still have the gear on an alt in case I ever get the itch again). This was a my build (though, some of the traits are gone now, so they've been shifted).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQJAqelUUh+sYJWwdLQ7FLpFlYItFVB4Jui113TFANAA-jxBBABCu/gZK/SUPBpq/88JAwRlgA8AACAkA8LFmAY9UP1T9UP1jqn6peqn6peqn6peqHhAEMGA-e

Looking back on it, I think I'd probably do some different stuff, today but you got lots of might and condi cleanse, near perma-vigor and swiftness, lots of fields, lots of blasts for stacking smoke, decent amount of CC, and were not going down quickly per se.

I'll have a look at this when I get home. Unholy Pillager is spot on too.

Not everyone wants to/has time to develop twitch reflexes and regear for the meta.

@"Smiggles.6823" it's not impossible that the build your are looking for is a celestial scrappernaut http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUh2tY5VwWLQ+FL3FF4C+gBA9qH7zuYB1D5AA-jBCEAB9pDQLlfYq+jBPAA72HAgLAA3LMIoSQRBkZA-e

I used to run this one in fractals up to T4 in the HOT period including after Nightmare came out, and posted it and my experiences with it a few times in the old forums. I should probably dust it off sometime and see how it fares in the latest balance and content.

The build supports by providing a little bit of everything to its allies - AoE condition clear, permanent regen, might, vulnerability, soft CC, sustained AoE hard CC, burst AoE hard CC, ranged revival, +150 condition damage to all allies, combo fields, finishers etc.. It's also self-sufficient and somewhat hard to kill - in addition to the above the build features perpetual stability and multiple stunbreakers, high uptime on most boons, access to the other boons, traited Elixir S, a 50% chance of Juggernaut on Elixir X, and a decent amount of HP and damage reduction.

With regard to this last point about durability and since we're on the subject of builds that can carry & support: contrary to what some may say you can tank in guild wars 2 non-raid content, and this build can tank. Aggro is something of a hidden mechanic in GW2, and due to the complexity of most fractal boss scripts and their tendency towards AOE attacks you certainly cannot make tanking your "role" for the battle. If however you do receive the aggro during a fight (e.g. you've tagged the important trash mobs or you're being zeroed by a boss like Mai Trinn or the bear-transformed Norn) then you can greatly support your group by holding your position and chaining your blocks/stationary evades/heals to stay alive. This allows your allies to DPS/CC a stationary target or to pull back to safety in order to heal/revive. This build has enough burstable defences to take advantage of these opportunities when they arrive.

Archived