Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Am I the only one who is afraid the dragon storyline will just end with Aurene replacing 6 other?


Recommended Posts

I really think this would be a boring and bad ending. It would be again just luck that our dragon is the ultimate plot device(a magical sponge which is better sponge than all other 6 elder dragons while not becoming corrupted).

I think the storyline right now is pointing towards great mistakes we have made killing the dragons and destroying the balance between them(and I think it's a really nice plot). But if all of this is just to be solved by Aurene eating magic of all other dragons well that would be really disappointing.I really think the story with replacing each elder dragon is much more intriguing(what beings will replace them, will we find other dragons? kunavang, other ED children, gods, spirits, bring back titans, or maybe don't replace some of them, etc.) and can setup many more future surprises for the universe(replacing dragon with other being which isn't "good" because we have to do it, like deal with Joko in gw1).

I am afraid of this because with the last magazine about Icebrood saga and war eternal there are some suggestion this will happen(prismatic dragon, Kralkatorrik talk with Aurene).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping/predicting that the plot will move towards trading the "Tyria that is" for "the Tyria that could be." Jormag will offer us information about the nature of the All and how Elder Dragons maintain the integrity of the All. He will try to get us to help him change the very structure of the All or how it is maintained and then try to take control of the All. Perhaps he will offer more reliable access to the the after life. More reliable than dying.

That being said, I am still afraid. Aurene's resurrection shook my confidence in the studio. They keep building plot from soft magic trickery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone says something like "we can't kill more dragons because they're lifeforce of Tyria blah, blah, blah, it would destroy everything", and killing them should... well, destroy Tyria. We killed Kralk only because Aurene could replace him as an Elder Dragon, so I think that was just safe and necessary to save Tyria, the mists or whole reality from him.Kralk was corrupted by magic he ate. He said all that magic tormented him. Can Aurene absorb magic from every Elder Dragon and not get crazy? If not, why is she immune to this corruption?

Ending everything like "Kill them all because Aurene can replace them" sounds boring and... predictable. We don't want the story to be like that. I know the story needs action, real action like fight Jormag, but... another happy end is too much. Some episodes in LS4 were really nice, like ep5. We can't just succed everywhere. I'm expecting a failure or other solution than "kill".

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cyninja.2954 said:One Dragon to rule them all, One Commander to find them,One Commander to bring them all and in the Dragon bind them.

Bring it! =)I am not trying to attack or anything but just out of curiosity. How that main plotline resolution can be interesting?

It would be a really obvious one without twists and you could easily predict much before the story ends(it's a little bit like knowing the ending in the middle of a movie).It really throws away all set ups of mistakes and future destruction because of our actions.(All Joko dialogue(which was great btw.) would be thrown out of a window, all theme of destruction caused by killing dragons).It would be a little bit like, well, a story for children where after doing something really stupid nothing really happens because plot must have a happy ending.

It would be a repeat of Mordremoth plot where we were going after him without and real plan and just when we met him some character(Traeharne if I remember correctly) told us his weakens which for our current situation was perfect(just standing before an allay directly connected to his mind). Going without any plan at random(especially if playing with giant forces(like dragons, gods etc.) and always being unrealistically lucky(because some plot device shows just when we need it) isn't good writing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Randulf.7614" said:Prob is, the narrative team have said that GW2 is "Aurene's Story". So it wouldn't surprise me if they do, even if it is implied that we need multiple replacements

I’d rather they keep it about her by making her the guide to the new dragons, and she can potentially supply information on where to find some

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a while now… Every time the story reminds you "do not kill one we have no solution". And what do we do ? Forget about it and every episode find a strategy to kill one. Every time I talk about it to someone in my guilds they say "oh but we have Aurene". Really ????!!! This 6 years old dragon is going to fix Killing 3 elder dragons ? So when we had visions of her failing, when npc kept saying "kralk might be too strong" and the vision became real, I was relieved. Maybe we would find a way to live in peace with the elder dragons. After all they are also supposed to be really smart. Then everybody starts talking about a resurrection and it happened! That was so bad :astonished: . At least the ending was great. I got what I wanted about elder dragons.But right now, Aurene is still the definition of deus ex machina.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Aurene and her story so far (minus the decision to kill her and immediately res her), but yeah... I would not find this resolution ideal. It would feel too convenient, but then again they have always purported Aurene as "special." She is "the prince that was promised," so to speak. So I wouldn't be surprised if things shook out this way. In the end, I would prefer to kill/replace all the EDs on a 1:1 ratio, or find a way to make peace with them somehow (at least assure their sleep will last for a very, very long time). I think the idea of a "prismatic dragon" is cool, and I enjoy the idea that she could better/more efficiently house and harness multiple kinds of magics, but I'm not as excited to see her become the solution to every big problem.

I am interested by the notion Jormag might be attempting to change the nature of the All, but... that seems about as volatile as saying, "let's kill another elder dragon without a means to replace it!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Randulf.7614" said:Prob is, the narrative team have said that GW2 is "Aurene's Story". So it wouldn't surprise me if they do, even if it is implied that we need multiple replacements

I kinda interpreted it as "the GW2 story as of late is Aurene's story" e.g., Season 3 to Season 4 is "Aurene's story". Similar to how the Personal Story is the Commander's rise, and Season 1 to Heart of Thorns is about the origins of the sylvari.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sznurek.8791 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:One Dragon to rule them all, One Commander to find them,One Commander to bring them all and in the Dragon bind them.

Bring it! =)I am not trying to attack or anything but just out of curiosity. How that main plotline resolution can be interesting?

It would be a really obvious one without twists and you could easily predict much before the story ends(it's a little bit like knowing the ending in the middle of a movie).It really throws away all set ups of mistakes and future destruction because of our actions.(All Joko dialogue(which was great btw.) would be thrown out of a window, all theme of destruction caused by killing dragons).It would be a little bit like, well, a story for children where after doing something really stupid nothing really happens because plot must have a happy ending.

It would be a repeat of Mordremoth plot where we were going after him without and real plan and just when we met him some character(Traeharne if I remember correctly) told us his weakens which for our current situation was perfect(just standing before an allay directly connected to his mind). Going without any plan at random(especially if playing with giant forces(like dragons, gods etc.) and always being unrealistically lucky(because some plot device shows just when we need it) isn't good writing.

I think you missed the joke friend. Here:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,One for the Dark Lord on his dark throneIn the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind themIn the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing the nature or structure of the All may be a volatile plan but it may also be necessary. There is an indelible link between mind and magic. There are multiple examples of minds being dominated or corrupted by magic. The All is held together by massive magical minds that are dominated or corrupted by magic. I don't care if the writers spin a tale of an incorruptible mind, the magi-physics doesn't work. Aurene's mind is incorruptible and can withstand the dominance of magic because we played hide and go seek with her? They have offered too many instances of minds giving up some share of free will to magic. What are the human gods but beings who have given up some of their will to the will of magical domains. Even if we stretched the magi-physics to provide Aurene, can we expect 5 more incorruptible minds to appear? What happens to Aurene's incorruptible mind after eons of watching mortals fight each other, or watching all her companions die? The plan to stop the Elder Dragon doesn't have to perfect, I just hope it doesn't depend on soft magic wand waving. The writers have made magi-cosmology central to their story without ever delivering adequately hard rules for magic. Imo, it is time to deliver those rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you missed the joke friend. Here:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,One for the Dark Lord on his dark throneIn the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Well I got the reference but I didn't catch that your reaction was sarcastic.Sorry for that. It's sometimes hard to get the emotions behind the post on text messages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As written by many above, if that is the end they're going for, then it's predictable and boring - Aurene is boring. I need a good story, then I will rather do something else with my time.

Heck, let Aurene sacrifice herself and to consume/get rid of all Elder Dragons thus releasing all the magic back into the world and its races.

Make a twist and let the dragons be represented by humanoid forms who will be cunning and scheming to give us more of a tangible "human" foe rather than a force of nature hellbent on destruction and just tossing its armies at you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quite a stretch, i could possible see (depending on where they take the story) a world where the remaining 5 Elder Dragons are replaced with Dragons of varying breeds & types. Aurene being the ambassador of the Dragons to Mortals and a threat from beyond the mists appear. You could say this enemy would be called "Outsiders" and the 6 Dragons Roles are pillars or Guardians of the realm. I also have a feeling that the whole Kralk went crazy due to magic overdose is a misdirection. One theory i have is something got into the magical waters of this realm and infected the 6 elder dragons and turned them into the corrupted monsters we have seen. i do see some potential for good story telling especially with the Elder dragons being more distinguishable. We shall see the direction they decide to take the story, i know they are trying to get people super excited but i will wait and see how they do on ep 0.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Psientist.6437" said:I am hoping/predicting that the plot will move towards trading the "Tyria that is" for "the Tyria that could be." Jormag will offer us information about the nature of the All and how Elder Dragons maintain the integrity of the All. He

She.

will try to get us to help him change the very structure of the All or how it is maintained and then try to take control of the All. Perhaps he will offer more reliable access to the the after life. More reliable than dying.

I, too, am uncertain whether we will actually fight another Elder Dragon. The writers might hold something different for us. In any case, I agree it would be the most forseeable option if Aurene was to replace the remaining Elder Dragons as well. Let's wait and see what Season 5 is going to bring to the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Psientist.6437" said:I am hoping/predicting that the plot will move towards trading the "Tyria that is" for "the Tyria that could be." Jormag will offer us information about the nature of the All and how Elder Dragons maintain the integrity of the All. He

She.

will try to get us to help him change the very structure of the All or how it is maintained and then try to take control of the All. Perhaps he will offer more reliable access to the the after life. More reliable than dying.

I, too, am uncertain whether we will actually
fight
another Elder Dragon. The writers might hold something different for us. In any case, I agree it would be the most forseeable option if Aurene was to replace the remaining Elder Dragons as well. Let's wait and see what Season 5 is going to bring to the table.

Do we know Jormag's gender? Perhaps 'they' would be more appropriate.

So resolve the threat posed by 6 too big to fail dragons with one too big to fail dragon. Imo, that increases the risk to Tyria. How cute and nice does Aurene have to be to change Tyrian magi-physics? Can she or any being channel and balance all the conflicting and insistent domains without changing? The studio may tell us she is cute and nice enough but it requires trivializing their magi-physics. I would prefer Aurene confront us and Glint's plan with her inability to remain cute and nice enough for all time. I want Aurene to demand we help her avoid being imprisoned by fate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...