F2P Accounts Need Access to Map Chat in WvW

Sviel.7493

Communication is essential and third party programs can't fully replace Map chat. Said accounts already have access to Team chat so there can't be a concern about spammers or anything in WvW. There are also plenty of other P2W elements (warclaw, gliding, shield gens, elite specs, etc.) to entice them to open their wallets.

I'm guessing this was a decision made to prevent spammers in PvE, which makes sense. However, WvW needs an exception ASAP. It's hard enough getting new players acclimated without having to wait for them to whisper you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F2P accounts in WvW has always been a double-edged sword. On one hand the mode needs players, on the other hand the mode has limits to the players it can accept and other easily exploitable systems. It is obviously possible to get up to shenanigans on a paid alt account where you don't risk ingame assets and time but at least you risk losing something then. FP2 accounts can really ruin the WvW mode in many ways and the only reason it has been free of most kinds of broadly impacting buggery so far is that there isn't much to gain from it. Even the dark forces do not care, heh.

The little that can be gained from it though, like feckin' with tactivators, hacking the game physics or spying (possibly not apart or apart of the game) are unsurprisingly mostly done on free accounts. I can honestly say that I don't think the rewards outweigh the risks when it comes to F2P in WvW in general. I would find other ways to populate it and only stare down the F2P route again if there has been a major overhaul and full repurposing that makes the mode far less vulnurable overall. A kind of overhaul the mode is never likely to see in this game.

It is very doubtful that free accounts are seen as important for (re-)populating the mode considering how low priority fixing big sinking leaks in the mode has had so far.

I would say no to this.

F2P players can use party/squad/team/guild chat no problem. They can even pm a mentor tag (not sure if they can also pm commander tags) and they can use say chat (with restrictions). I have seen wvw groups I joined always use either TS or Discord as well. And I don't think I ever used a chat in wvw even as a paid player. If you can follow the chat its enough (there is no need to talk back most of the time).

If you open up restrictions we will see goldsellers and all that bad stuff in wvw maps spamming (and leading you off any usefull map chat) and I am actually happy this game is one of the few without any of that due to the restrictions we have.

If you don't want restrictions and want the Warclaw/gliding etc then support the game for all the game content they have created like most of us did. If you want to remain f2p then live with it and make it work for yourself (we have played without mounts and gliding and elite specs in this mode in past, just don't expect to keep up with the speed of the group as players with mount and gliding will not wait for players without).

P.s According wiki WvW is a combination Player versus Player/Player versus Environment game mode.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I would say no to this.

F2P players can use party/squad/team/guild chat no problem.

If you open up restrictions we will see goldsellers and all that bad stuff in wvw maps spamming (and leading you off any usefull map chat) and I am actually happy this game is one of the few without any of that due to the restrictions we have.

Because team chat actually hits 5 maps, gold sellers would already be able to spam the WvW maps. Map chat would actually be less in the WvW environment. That isn’t a valid concern for WvW.

You noted in what I clipped off that you don’t use WvW chat. If you had, you would understand how chat works in WvW.

@Black Frog.9274@Dami.5046@Astral Projections.7320

There are no restrictions on using Team chat, which reaches across all 4 maps, yet there's no problem with gold sellers there. Likewise, if someone intends to troll, they will have more success in Team chat. There's no reason to allow Team chat but to restrict Map chat in WvW.

And since we've seen that letting F2P players into Team chat hasn't caused mass issues, there's no need to belatedly ban them from that either.

I don't see the point of allowing team chat while blocking map chat. In PvE, the inconvenience is really only to the free account. In WvW, inconvenience is shared by everyone.

This is probably another of the many artifacts of the way ANet put things together in the game. By that I mean something like (and this is me guessing, not an assertion), "Map chat is blocked on free accounts, and shares the same mechanics no matter the map. Revising the block to be mode-specific is more difficult than it might be with different engine construction. Team chat is not in PvE, so was not blocked, just as Say was not."

@Sviel.7493 said:@Black Frog.9274@Dami.5046@Astral Projections.7320

There are no restrictions on using Team chat, which reaches across all 4 maps, yet there's no problem with gold sellers there. Likewise, if someone intends to troll, they will have more success in Team chat. There's no reason to allow Team chat but to restrict Map chat in WvW.

And since we've seen that letting F2P players into Team chat hasn't caused mass issues, there's no need to belatedly ban them from that either.

Clearly they don’t play WvW....

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Clearly they don’t play WvW....

wanna bet?

@Ashen.2907

On an active night (weekends, occasional weekdays), callouts in Map chat can happen non-stop. This is especially true if the map is being maintained by a network of roamers rather than a tag. If F2P players are to be helpful in this way, they would have to fill team chat to the point where it would no longer be useful for it's main purpose of cross-map reinforcement calls.

But even before we get into all that, what does anyone gain from blocking F2P access to Map chat? Even if you don't personally feel harmed by it, why is it happening?

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:I don't see the point of allowing team chat while blocking map chat. In PvE, the inconvenience is really only to the free account. In WvW, inconvenience is shared by everyone.

That sums it up perfectly.

I'm not sure why people don't seem to understand what is relatively obvious: in order to block map chat spam in PvE, all map chat is blocked. If they could differentiate, they probably would. So, they probably can't. You can always group up and use squad/party comms (i think) and then there is team chat. If you want it that bad, buy PoF and get HoT and map chat. That's pretty much all there is to this.

@Sviel.7493 said:@Ashen.2907

On an active night (weekends, occasional weekdays), callouts in Map chat can happen non-stop. This is especially true if the map is being maintained by a network of roamers rather than a tag. If F2P players are to be helpful in this way, they would have to fill team chat to the point where it would no longer be useful for it's main purpose of cross-map reinforcement calls.

But even before we get into all that, what does anyone gain from blocking F2P access to Map chat? Even if you don't personally feel harmed by it, why is it happening?

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:I don't see the point of allowing team chat while blocking map chat. In PvE, the inconvenience is really only to the free account. In WvW, inconvenience is shared by everyone.

That sums it up perfectly.

Admittedly an assumption, but I have been under the impression that map chat is the same regardless of game mode. So the decision to limit access in pve (for obvious reasons) impacts wvw.