Does Marjory have a new voice?

Ashantara.8731

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Greener.6204" said:A list of the voice actors in the prologue

Yes, so it is as stated earlier: still the same actress, just with different intonation. Can't imagine why she was told to do it differently now - perhaps her performance was considered too sexy for a game like GW2?

Well, Balthazar almost killed her and then the whole shaken faith thing. I didn't get the feeling that it was a different VA, more that it was someone trying to be upbeat and supportive for their partner while also being a bit tight-lipped since a god tried to kill her, that god deals with flames and, oh joy the FLAME LEGION IS HERE. So I wonder if she was given the direction to sound like someone recovering from a trauma and not her voice was too 'sexy.'

@miraude.2107 said:

@"Greener.6204" said:A list of the voice actors in the prologue

Yes, so it is as stated earlier: still the same actress, just with different intonation. Can't imagine why she was told to do it differently now - perhaps her performance was considered too sexy for a game like GW2?

Well, Balthazar almost killed her and then the whole shaken faith thing. I didn't get the feeling that it was a different VA, more that it was someone trying to be upbeat and supportive for their partner while also being a bit tight-lipped since a god tried to kill her, that god deals with flames and, oh joy the FLAME LEGION IS HERE. So I wonder if she was given the direction to sound like someone recovering from a trauma and not her voice was too 'sexy.'

I think you're right about why she sounds like that, especially based on how she acts at the very beginning of this story.

Edit: If I'm reading this correctly, Tom Abernathy confirms that you're right.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/d5k22v/is_it_just_me_or_is_the_voice_acting_in_this/

Her voice is still sexy! Even more so for being more natural. <3 Sumalee Montero, ever since she was on Critical Role to show just how warm and wonderful her voice can be. Marjory's diction always seemed out of place in Tyria. Like, when she was introduced they did it in a noir way and then had to stick with it even though her sister talked completely differently (I expect people that grow up closely together to have something in common in how they talk). The new diction allows for a lot more expression of emotion, too, since noir detective is generally a cynical one-note voice.

My head canon is that she put on the noir voice when she was working as a Divinity's Reach detective so her clients would feel they were getting the real deal, and now that she's moved on she's dropped it.