New for Soulbeast

JUN YANG.4328

Hi Guys

I just re-open my Ranger to play with. ran HP train on the weekend and got all the skill for soul beast.

my current build is berzerker with long bow and great sword.

a few question want to ask:

1. should i keep using great sword as melee or change to sword / axe
  2. is digger for condition build?
  3. pets question: i havent touch my ranger since core game, i use "fern hound" for health boost and "Red Moa" for Fury boostjust got 3 new pets as everyone going to use. smokescale, jacaranda and Rock Gazelle.I understand Smokescale is good for dps and Jacaranda good for healing. but what Rock Gazelle going to use for? PVP? stun?an what other pets i could use for berzerker build?

Thanks

@"JUN YANG.4328" said:Hi Guys

I just re-open my Ranger to play with. ran HP train on the weekend and got all the skill for soul beast.

my current build is berzerker with long bow and great sword.

a few question want to ask:

1. should i keep using great sword as melee or change to sword / axe
  2. is digger for condition build?
  3. pets question: i havent touch my ranger since core game, i use "fern hound" for health boost and "Red Moa" for Fury boostjust got 3 new pets as everyone going to use. smokescale, jacaranda and Rock Gazelle.I understand Smokescale is good for dps and Jacaranda good for healing. but what Rock Gazelle going to use for? PVP? stun?an what other pets i could use for berzerker build?

Thanks

1. Both are valid choices, depending on the situation equips what can be useful.
  2. Lynx
  3. The gazelle is a dps / cc pet
  4. Take a look at this discussion on reddit on which pets and how to use them: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/85r6tx/ranger_pets_must/

I always rely on my greatsword, my axe + the nescesary ferocity usually kill a group of mordrem or raptors in a fly.Sword/axe was my way of melee before I realized I really dislike longbow.Also the sword skills only really work if you're lucky or know how to kite.In PvE i'd say smash everything with greatsword and an Axe/Warhorn if playing soloI always keep in mind ferocity is way more important than power (if you keep it 1200 and above)

Personally noone ever understood why I love being a valkery rampage instead of a boonbeast (team support) in PvPjust a sigil of intelligence can KO a player maybe in one and half hits.The problem nowadays is hitting though. So many classes have been updated with invulnerability and dodges,Makes me an angry kitty sometime, definately when first few games starting the day and I keep following my enemy running away with 1hp health using my gs 3 skill (leap) and pet skill (f2 of the stonedeer pet), Thanks to Soulbeast rangers are probably the most mobile and fast, so it's understandable that greatsword stays a slow type of attack for balance, unless you know what you're doing with swords and axes.

• I've used sword for a couple of months as my main melee weapon but skill 2 still seems useless to me (maybe because I forget to hold back instead of going head to head.

• I've always loved axe although I hate using an 'axe' just because it's an axe, like I have the same way I feel about warhorn or torch... but weapons stay weapons.

• As for now, I suggest go full DPS. a fully functional soulbeast wears Valkery armor and precision infusions or a mix of Bezerker/assasins and vitality infusions.

• For runes, anything forcing dps to spike is wonderful, sigil of severage (can't remember exactly) pulls up your ferocity to +250 for a few seconds,*Wearing a rune of rage you can keep getting fury skillwise or accidently and you inmediatly get a new oppertunity attack traitwise.

Those seconds count, when fleeing is no option to survive, or use rune of durability if the fight seems to big beforehand (available in Auric Basin).

• The likeable things of Longbow is how Barrage now follows the player creating a bigger AoE field and the stealth ofcourse wich I still hope to see more in future expansions for ranger. Lorewise I think it's more natural for a ranger to 'blend in' like camouflage with the enviroment, hence my way I think why I'd like to see more stealth.

• For Shortbow, wearing a good sigil that stuns a target for 5 seconds is a wonderful thing, I've lucked out many pvp matches just being able to do only that,although my condi could never meet up to mesmer.

Good luck to you fellow ranger, and stay ferocious!May our class be blessed by melandru.

@"Dayra.7405" said:Always 2-h katana (https://wiki-de.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skin_für_Belindas_Großschwert), the evade on auto-attack is so nice.Sic Em, adds to YOUR damage, while your per is absorbed.Isn’t sword more condie than power?

I didn't know Sic Em could do that :o that's really neat. I guess I'll replace my stances with sic em for a while to see the effect.

The thing with sword is, you can choose to bleed an enemy fr 33% more or evade while wielding sword.This is a huge dilemma traitwise if you want to build a hybrid or full condi ranger (I haven't met many good condi rangers that don't follow a meta build that works temporary. So if going for sword, DPS is the way, and hopefully we'll get dual wielding swords in the future so we can really show what hybrid condi-dps means being ranger!

@Dayra.7405 said:It got nerved in wvw and pvp.

Moa stance, sic em, pressing 2 on longbow and let your smokescale handle the rest.There are easy ways to kill. more than enough I think.I've made many 1hit KO's this way before...But switching pets should have at least a way of retaliation, or give protection (maybe from Melandru)When unmelting becoming vulnerable in PvP having to switch pets, I'm dead no matter how bunkerish I am.

thanks for the advise guys. just an other question. i using PPF set atm. just ran dragonfall got the mist shard gear. should sacrifice some berzerker ability and had additional concentration or half / half? ( to boost fury boon - wilderness Knowledge )

Abilities buildMarksmanship 2,2,2Whildemess survival 3,3,2soulbeast 2,2,3