Are exp boosters worth using on alts and new characters levels 1-80?

Angel.3916

Ok hello. I have a level 80 with some masteries like gliding raptor and springer. My level 80 is fun, but in order to get better at the game, and not get bored ; i decided to start creating more characters. My next character is a warrior, maybe an axe warrior dps with spell breaker traits.

Long story short, should i use exp boosters when leveling 1-80 or are they better for something like wvw or spvp ?

I am wondering if the 50% exp makes a huge different in getting from 1-80 or when the best time to use it.

Thanks all for commenting :) cheers and love love.

There are a few tricks to this. First 50% won't make any difference but most exp booster has kill streak as a bonus which will boost further in total of 150% if you can maintain 10 stacks bonus. Second is to find more available exp boost sources within the game like // guild buff (10%) // Celebration Booster (100% From Kill) // Cheap foods (10% to 15%) // Cheap utility items (10% to 15%) // Banner (10% This is extra and not needed). All of this can boost your exp gained to 300%, that mean by killing just a few trash mob around the world you can gain more or equal amount of exp of one heart quest.

This is more or less like power level by grinding mobs, i gained nearly 40 levels just by running around killing stuffs in 2 hours. The weird thing is it seems when you kill a mob spawned in a certain place for the first time, you get like double or may be triple the amount of exp, the second you do this, the amount of exp will be reduced by a lot so run around the map and avoid grinding in one place, killing same mob over and over again, if you ran out of places/stuffs to murder then go a head and switch map.

You probably don't want to consume booster at the first 20 levels because 1 to 15 is pretty fast and another 5 level couldn't hurt, i usually use mine after 31 when i have elite skill unlocked but that just me. Change gears every 10 level, once you hit 50, head to Iron Marches and grind there (thats my fav leveling map, just me tho). Another thing is crafting while you have exp boost, level a job from 1 - 400 will get you like 11 character levels, i tend to do cooking it is fast and cheapest way to gain 10 level in exchange for 5 gold. Don't bother with WvW/PvP while during leveling progress but your 80 can have some fun while getting tomes.

Awe thanks man. Those are some hot tips. Very good advice. I will follow your instructions.

My second question is if it is normal to have more then 20 characters with 1 trait set up build and ascended armor on each ?

Like I would have 2 or 3 of every class with their elite spec build and ascended armor to match that build...

This is normal right ?

I plan to buy more character slots later.

And I want to be good at spvp so I better learn the abilities of every class hehe.

Thanks so much again. Very much appreciated friend.

how many character you got atm? i dont think u will need that many character for different elite spec. i had 13 character, the double class i feel like is a waste. you only need buy a bigger slot bag. and prepare 2~3 set of armor and weapon.
ascended for me is not really useful. i play gw2 since release havent even had 1 set of ascended armor. it will had around addition 5%~10% ability . but take long time to work craft (too lazy)

I use XP boosters when levelling characters, even if I'm just playing them normally and it does make a noticeable difference, but it's not an efficient use of the boosters. If you want XP quickly and you're willing to go out of your way to get the most from them then I recommend doing that, especially if you're buying boosters to do it. But these are ones I've gotten free from somewhere and won't ever get around to using otherwise.

@Angel.3916 said:Awe thanks man. Those are some hot tips. Very good advice. I will follow your instructions.

My second question is if it is normal to have more then 20 characters with 1 trait set up build and ascended armor on each ?

Like I would have 2 or 3 of every class with their elite spec build and ascended armor to match that build...

This is normal right ?

I plan to buy more character slots later.

And I want to be good at spvp so I better learn the abilities of every class hehe.

Thanks so much again. Very much appreciated friend.

Yes it's normal to have multiple characters, even multiples of the same profession in this game. But one thing you might want to think about is that sometime in the future (we don't know when) Anet are going to add build templates which will make it much quicker and easier to switch between builds on the same character. So if you're doing this purely to have access to different builds you might want to hold off on making too many characters until we know more about how that will work, so you can decide which option is best for you.

It is normal i would say but like Jun said it really is a waste unless you're having a really high commitment toward the game or hobby of having that many characters it won't hurt at least but to gear them up with full ascended is....a lot of works.

I myself having 11 chars and it already worn me out trying to gear 4 of them with full ascended, so i decided to switch to a more "suitable" approach. It is similar to what Jun said above, what i'm using is Perma Bank Access, it is expensive but with a little bit more effort to unlock bank tabs and shared-inventory slot you can put every single piece of gear in bank then put bank in shared-inven. This way every char on your account will be able to access bank anywhere anytime, freely switch gears. builds, stuffs in and out. Or just using normal bank is enough, just a bit annoying to go all the way to the bank.

For example i'm playing ranger so i will make 3 ascended leather set, let says zerker for power dps, viper for condi dps, Harrier or something for healing, put them all in bank. If it happens on a whim i want to play engi or thief, i have everything sitting in the bank because they are all use the same armor type. Easier to track your stuffs rather than having 20 chars. Or just make a full zerker set of each armor type (Heavy/Medium/Light) and done. But if you truly want to do as you said then i would suggest keep it at Exotic level, unless you value min max. You never know when you will run into a situation where current build you using will screw you up and unable to swap character, having everything setup and ready for anything in one bank is what worked for me.

With that said, having multiple char do have it advantages like Living World currencies farming, Fashions etc.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I only have 1 character at max level with all elite specs unlocked. He's a holosmith engineer.

I am working on a warrior. It is fun ao far.

Yea I didn't know about build templates, I don't know where to read upcoming future features.

Thanks for the advice. I want to have different classes with different builds for WvW. I love WvW a lot hehe.

Also I got know how the different builds fight. For Spvp. So I can dodge properly and get good at knowing their fighting styles.

Any ways thanks for all the feedback and hot tips. Much appreciated. I am glad I got help here, these forums are nice in this section.

Any ways see you later. Thanks.

i am a bit old school player and not a big fans of warrior. i do have 2 warrior class . first 1st is full berzerker , (elites and PPF gear)2nd is build as 2swords/ great sword dps/condition. (wasted - as storage )my 1st warrior cant deal with all situation. specially map run. i do had second set of gear PTV or her. but still it find a bit struggle. mainly i use her for fast dungeon run ( in core game)and WVW for warrior is not a strength as well ( my opinion). powerful class in WvW is condition Mirage , berserker dead eye, weaver.

I think you better build a class can deal with every situation to start with , easy to play and for resource farm.after that you can start create your fun class for WvW.guardian is a good class to start with - support, tanky safe map run. (you can always swap between dragonhunter for dps and firebrand for support)

or nercoI switched to PTV Reaper with minion build as my main used character recently ( even the best of gear are still with my mesmer )open world , dungeon, meta run, story. etc
not a big dps output character but just wont die. (easy for beginner, - i am lazy )

for engineer, i do have 2, one dps, one condition (double pistol). i recently lvl my dps one into scrapper. as support class - not badno sure about holosmith. maybe you can swap between holosmith (dps) and scrapper (support)

@"Angel.3916" said:Thanks for the advice. Right now I only have 1 character at max level with all elite specs unlocked. He's a holosmith engineer.

I am working on a warrior. It is fun ao far.

Yea I didn't know about build templates, I don't know where to read upcoming future features.

Thanks for the advice. I want to have different classes with different builds for WvW. I love WvW a lot hehe.

Also I got know how the different builds fight. For Spvp. So I can dodge properly and get good at knowing their fighting styles.

Any ways thanks for all the feedback and hot tips. Much appreciated. I am glad I got help here, these forums are nice in this section.

Any ways see you later. Thanks.

Here is one place to learn about upcoming features: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upcoming_changes_and_features(The Wiki is a great resource for all things Guild Wars 2 -[link above]).

Thanks for the wiki link

Yea I bought 2 character slots today for 35% off and a storage expander. I plan to have more than 10 characters for wvw and spvp but my main holosmith will always be my main for world completion and new living stories.

I am liking exotic armor. Not sure about ascended. It takes roughly 120-150 gold to get a full set of ascended for me ( 6 peice rampaget forge swap into proper stats )

I also want to try fractals and raiding but I don't know what's meta. Maybe some spec builds will be regulated to playing for fun, others for pvp or others for pve.

I am already making a scrapper spellbreaker and a berserker.

Thanks guys for the constant help. I am enjoying the game very much. See you later.

I've found its better to use Tomes of Knowledge to level to 80, and save any boosters you have for Mastery track Exp later in the game (where tome boosting has no effect). If you WvW at all, you want to save boosters with WxP bonuses for that exclusively; as theres only has 3 things in the entire game that can speed that up (exp/celebration boosters, guild buffs, and Call of the Mists).

Getting Exp in PvE content is ridiculously fast overall. The game puts huge emphasis on Events being the main source of exp, and awards them based on % of level scales. So if you're in a lvl 80 zone, a gold medal for event awards 7% of the total exp needed to level up from 79-80, or 17.7k. Killing mobs only award around 1/10th of a %, sometimes with a bonus if they've alive long enough.

Ergo, killing mobs to level is not only inefficient, its also borderline idiotic- since most Events throw mobs at you enmass.

Theres also story steps that give 25% of a level each, Dungeon paths that can net you a full level by the end of it, general exploration of the map awards decent exp, gathering nodes give exp, and crafting can be a solid way to power level a character if you know what you're doing.

Alts and extra characters are the only things you should use boosts on.

With your main, you're better off doing normal leveling and learning the class, getting masteries and acheivements, and building your world-presence naturally. The level boosts are better used on characters you don't care enough about to play through the entire game with - namely alts.