Cooking 500 and the single character problem

Only 1 character can do a collection. That means it's much harder, but not impossible, to get other characters to 500. However, it appears that gathering special materials (ie varietal seeds, choice cuts, etc.) IS restricted to only that specific character no matter what.That creates a huge issue if you have either a) a dedicated crafting character, b) a dedicated harvesting character or c) just want to play on a character other than the one you did the collection on. Under the current system, one character and one character ONLY can ever get the high quality food drops you need for 500 cooking (and seed packets). There is also no warning of this at any point, so it is quiet easy to do the collection on a character you don't want to take into open world much.Once we have 500 unlocked on one character, all other characters should be able to do the gathering. That is how every other piece of the gathering system in the game works, and it's the only way to not force us to almost exclusively play with a single character in order to avoid missing needed drops.

Boogiepop,

My Cook is also one of my mules! Haha! :lol:So she doesn't do much besides make food for my fighting toons... and weapons. (She's also my Weaponsmith.)

Anyhow, like other folks have said, my other toons are REGULARLY getting the seeds and meat drops needed to make the ascended food when gathering or killing beasts out in Tyria (an estimated 20 - 40% proc rate). You might be "bugged" if your other toons are seeing ZERO drops for ascending cooking.

Maybe submit a ticket?

@Krypto.2069 said:Boogiepop,

My Cook is also one of my mules! Haha! :lol:So she doesn't do much besides make food for my fighting toons... and weapons. (She's also my Weaponsmith.)

Hehe, mine's a crafting mule too - chef, leatherworker, and huntsman - one who lives at the Lily of the Elon and almost never leaves there except to jump home and plant the fancy new seeds. Like the other posters here, all my alts have picked up the new seeds and the fancy meat cuts. Heck, even my key farmer on the beginner maps has picked up seeds and fancy meat. One thing of note - I'm stockpiling mats for legendaries so I'm gathering from every node I see, with a special eye out for herbs. I also kill a lot more random beasties these days to grab whatever mats I can from them. That's a lot of gathering I'm doing on a daily basis and the fancy seeds/fancy meats have been slowly but steadily streaming in with all the other mats.

I was able to finish the quests completely on a second character with little problem. And, by the way, you do not have to craft a second composter. Also the varietal seeds from any of the plants, mint, sesame, etc fulfill the qualifications for the varietal part of the chain (just so people know)