Question for Beetle mount

JUN YANG.4328

hi guysI am working on beetle mount at the moment. just wondering. about beetle masteries skill. does lvl 2~3 effect the speed?i got all mount except Beetle and warclaw. want to use beetle mount for ground speed run. it feel like raptor and jackal is too slow and griffon need to take long time to boost up speed also need high ground as well.i check on wiki "barrier smash" and "big air" is nothing relate to speed. ( just dont want to hunt mastery point)if just lvl 1 still able to have turbo boost and drift

Thanks

The masteries don't really boost your speed but the 3rd one does give you back endurance when you do a trick (after a jump). Beetle is fastest on land when boosted (and on flat terrain or terrain that goes down). When a beetle has to go up its the slowest of all. However, a beetle can also be stopped by the tiniest bit of texture on the ground (roots, cobblestones, nodes that are gathered). So my ground mount is always raptor or jackal as to my experience they are faster in overall terrain transport. Unless I do a beetle race. The warclaw is kinda needed in wvw but in pve its kinda as fast as a person running. There are more than plenty mastery points that are easy to get btw without having to hunt that much.

@"Aaralyna.3104" said:The masteries don't really boost your speed but the 3rd one does give you back endurance when you do a trick (after a jump). Beetle is fastest on land when boosted (and on flat terrain or terrain that goes down). When a beetle has to go up its the slowest of all. However, a beetle can also be stopped by the tiniest bit of texture on the ground (roots, cobblestones, nodes that are gathered). So my ground mount is always raptor or jackal as to my experience they are faster in overall terrain transport. Unless I do a beetle race. The warclaw is kinda needed in wvw but in pve its kinda as fast as a person running. There are more than plenty mastery points that are easy to get btw without having to hunt that much.

thanks for your comment. if i want to do fast map run ( core game) for "Gift of exploration". should i use beetle or use raptor/ jackal. griffon can clear fog on map really quick but it skip ever thing like wp, poi etc .

@"whoeverxwins.1279" said:I use griffon/ skyscale personally because it's easy to skip over annoying mobs. But definitely raptor or jackal (your preference) over beetle. That sucker is pretty hard to control. Bam! Into a tree! Oops! Off a cliff...

huh... i dont expect it will be that hard to control. i should ask before craft. now only few "beetle feed" achievements left. lol. well use for fun then.

@"whoeverxwins.1279" said:It drives kind of like I'd imagine a rocket propelled tank to drive. Blasts around, but terrible turning radius. You can glide on turns, but I stink at that. lol

Thats because Beetle Traction doesn't work the way it does in racing games.... so it throws almost everyone off at first. Activating drift puts him into an ice slide, which has minimal traction but no control. This means your vector velocity is controlled by terrain you're sliding over, and you have to disengage drift to get him to change direction. But theres another layer of weirdness in how its implemented..... Petey also has a torque/rpm value that has a close relationship to his target ground speed. So its not actually inertia that powers him during turns, but a separate value thats influenced by "normal" driving conditions. If you go into a drift with a lot of speed, he can realistically 180 with most of that power intact, and quickly recovers speed in that new direction.

So when you drive Petey, hes operates like a weird hybrid of the Halo Warthog/Puma and a game that has a half assed physics engine.

If you want to successfully drift, you WANT to come in on a short angle around 45-100 degrees (not a wide one), start drifting, and quickly turn the Camera in the direction you want to go, and disengage drift. If done correctly, he'll rapidly slow down and speed up in the new direction. You want that effective turning radius to be as short as possible. If you do soft or wide turns, he ends up losing a lot of power, and you run the risk of sliding off the track. But you also have to pay attention to his turning rate (and direction), since mounts have another underlying behavior with their turning that negatively affects the Beetle's power band. The Snowden Drifts track is arguably the hardest, despite being the shortest, because its mostly sharp turns that you need expert control in drifting to do well in.

Overall the best land mount for mapping is the Jackal, the Raptor is also good however there are a few things that make the Jackal better.1st of all it's the only land mount that works equally well regardless of the terrain you ride it on, as it's blink ability works the same regardless if you are going downhill, uphill or level terrain. The Raptors jump however will not speed you up when going uphill because the Raptor will just crash into the ground.2nd the Jackals blink works even in mid-air. So if you decide to jump of a cliff to get a poi on a lower level the Jackals blink can be used to prevent it from dying and thus causing you to get dismounted by using it right before hitting the ground. The Raptor however is the most susceptible mount to dismounting via taking a large fall.3rd The Jackal is the hardest kill by enemy NPC's as by just unlocking it's T1 mastery it gains the ability to dodge enemy attacks while blinking. So if you need to go through a camp full of enemy NPC's you can just dodge though them when they start firing at you. The ability to dodge attacks can be passed on to the other mounts if you reach T4 with the Jackal mastery, but even so it can dodge up to 3 times in a row while the Raptor only twice.

Of course every mount is useful when mapping, The Springer, Griffon and Skyscale can be used to reach Vistas that are very high up, while in maps full of water like Bloodtide Coast the Skimmer is the best mount to use. But like I said on land the Jackal is overall the best as it's not picky when it comes to terrain and it's less likely you will get dismounted while riding it.

yeah beetle is not good for mapping... have you tried a rental in the races around core Tyria? Its very difficult to control and does not make a good mount to narrow down on areas to grap that poi without banging into everything around you.

Skyscale is great for mapping because it easily gets to pois or vistas up high.Jackal or raptor is good for controlled speed.

@Rikimaru.7890 said:Overall the best land mount for mapping is the Jackal, the Raptor is also good however there are a few things that make the Jackal better.1st of all it's the only land mount that works equally well regardless of the terrain you ride it on, as it's blink ability works the same regardless if you are going downhill, uphill or level terrain. The Raptors jump however will not speed you up when going uphill because the Raptor will just crash into the ground.2nd the Jackals blink works even in mid-air. So if you decide to jump of a cliff to get a poi on a lower level the Jackals blink can be used to prevent it from dying and thus causing you to get dismounted by using it right before hitting the ground. The Raptor however is the most susceptible mount to dismounting via taking a large fall.3rd The Jackal is the hardest kill by enemy NPC's as by just unlocking it's T1 mastery it gains the ability to dodge enemy attacks while blinking. So if you need to go through a camp full of enemy NPC's you can just dodge though them when they start firing at you. The ability to dodge attacks can be passed on to the other mounts if you reach T4 with the Jackal mastery, but even so it can dodge up to 3 times in a row while the Raptor only twice.

Of course every mount is useful when mapping, The Springer, Griffon and Skyscale can be used to reach Vistas that are very high up, while in maps full of water like Bloodtide Coast the Skimmer is the best mount to use. But like I said on land the Jackal is overall the best as it's not picky when it comes to terrain and it's less likely you will get dismounted while riding it.

The one Caveat I would give Raptor is the distance it can clear in those 2 jumps. For danger spots with a clear shot through, the Raptor can get through it before they even aggro. Jackal still holds the top spot however, as its ability weave through places with a lot obstacles, and even make sharp turns, is hard to beat.

I mostly use jackal and skyscale for map completion. Rikimaru already pointed out the advantages over other mounts for the jackal.

Skyscale is very good for vistas and mountain terrain. It is a bit slow, but it offers precise landing, which griffon lacks. Skyscale can also climb higher than a bunny in most cases.

As for beetle, I use it on maps that have beetle races to clear some fog and get a couple of WPs. However, I find it too hard to control on most Core Tyria maps, not to mention all the obstacles that negate beetle's superior speed.