Is AFK Ranger Farming ok?

Stormsong.1758

@Antycypator.9874 said:I don't want to create new discussion, but I'm just curious how much karma/materials/gold (whatever people farm) can you earn that way? I doubt it's more profitable than just playing the game.

I do this on my necromancer, I am still at the keyboard but watching a movie/sports/etc on my other monitor. I use enough abilities to not auto log off and usually just sit somewhere where I can get bags from something trying to get leather/cloth drops from them. Playing would definitely net me more stuff, but I am doing two things at once this way.

@kratan.4619 saidI do this on my necromancer, I am still at the keyboard but watching a movie/sports/etc on my other monitor. I use enough abilities to not auto log off and usually just sit somewhere where I can get bags from something trying to get leather/cloth drops from them. Playing would definitely net me more stuff, but I am doing two things at once this way.Personally, I disagree with this mind-set. I don't see the point other than to manipulate the market which, to me, isn't playing the game. BUT ... since Anet allows for it, I really don't have any standing to complain about it and it doesn't usually affect my playing of the game. It does disappoint me in how it might be affecting the market.

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:Short answer: if they attend enough to converse with a GM when prompted, it’s ok.

Slightly longer answers:

When they can respond to a GM in whatever timeframe ArenaNet deems acceptable, they are not considered to be AFK, so they are not AFK farming (being AFK equals no reaction to a GM interacting with you) Please note that this "interaction" does not need to be in text form but can also happen by actions taken like teleporting you).

When their character only stands there and the pet does 100% of the work with no action taken by the character, they are not farming (to be considered farming, your character needs to actively participate, as in use skills or spells. This includes any skills that have been put on the game autocast function). If the character does not use any skills, the pet is ok to kill whatever it wants, as pure pet kills are explicitly exempt.

There are numerous threads where this has been explained in detail, with links to the corresponding official statements and clarifications but I got a bit tired of posting the same links over and over again. I am sure you (the OP) can find them :)

@Dami.5046 said:So we aren't allowed to mindlessly kill mobs like in other games ? I'm not talking about AFK, but it seems doing anything other than set events is open to witch hunts and scrutiny.

The Labyrinth comes to mind lol..

But yeah, a case could be made against a lot of things, and I think once the policy is made, and (appears to be) adhered to, I am fine with it.

I can argue against the play style, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. The developers are aware of it and have set parameters.

Problem lays on whether they are actually afk.Even if they're not actively inputting commands but they're present on their PC then Anet doesn't have a problem with it.

Personally though don't like auto farmers, I dislike players who farm the game without actually playing it, doesn't matter to me if they're on their Pc or afk..They're not actively playing the game they're letting automatic skill casts and NPC allies do all the work for them so as far as i'm concerned it is no different than botting to me.