What makes a WvW vet?

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Hello WvW'ers

Today, while bored, I have a question for everyone.

How do you constitute someone as a WvW vet?

This can be fairly subjective.

• Is it rank? If so, what rank?
  • Is it the amount of hours one has spent in WvW? If so, how many hours?
  • Is it related to commanding? If so, how?
  • Is it general knowledge of the maps? If so, what does need to know to be considered a vet?

I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, debates...etc

• TheRealMC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BassHunteR.7246 said:you can only be called avet.. if you started hating anet and wvw mode itself.until that day comes.. you are just a child

So with that logic, someone could have played WvW everyday for hours, for the last 6+ years, if they still have fun and not hate Anet and the game mode, they are still not a vet? Just looking for clairification, thats all :)

I'm a vet in wvw only when I'm a pink norn with gigantic handlebar moustache healing all those poor animals around me.Jokes aside, a vet in wvw to me is someone who can be experienced in any one of the many play styles, knows how to react to certain situations, is quick to respond without people telling them, they know the nooks and crannies of siege placement, and also dealing with sieges inside structures. They know the shortcuts, how to evade enemies on maps, all sorts of things. They know how to identify certains threats above their fighting threshold, and know when to mostly choose their fights. Above all, a WvW vet is usually someone who posts complaints on wvw forum muhaha.

Anyone who is knowledgeable about any particular facet of WvW and who knows how to handle the situations that arise therein is a Vet imo. Whether it's a zergling, a commander or a scout.

There's so much to know that no one really encompasses it all--especially since you have to learn it twice for EBG and the Borderlands.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@BassHunteR.7246 said:you can only be called avet.. if you started hating anet and wvw mode itself.until that day comes.. you are just a child

So with that logic, someone could have played WvW everyday for hours, for the last 6+ years, if they still have fun and not hate Anet and the game mode, they are still not a vet? Just looking for clairification, thats all :)

yes. you got the idea. if you still dont hate anet and the game mode itself.. you still not a vet... therefore... keep dreaming with the big patch and reading all their posts about the hard work being done and soon you will become a vet..

soooooonnn

A real vet moved on to other modes of gameplay.

That said i tried WvW after 4 years away.. Not going back, adding warclaws was incredibly stupid and poor decision.. Because as newer customers do not have them they spend hours lost from the rest of the players bored..

Warclaws literally ruined WvW because new customers cannot keep up with the older customers who already have them.. Just an incredibly silly decision. I will not be going back to WvW again now.

Id call myself a wvw vet, even tho i dont know where to place the best siege, i know some spots sure, but i never rly played the scouting role that sat in his object to defend it.

Ive spent hours upon hours roaming solo or with 1 or 2 other players attacking camps disrupting caravans and attacking objectives when enemies were distracted somewhere else.

Ive spent a ton of time running in public zergs or in different organized wvw guilds mostly as a frontliner.

Ive seen metas come and go and i still blast waterfields when i see them.

Vets are the people that understand that WvW doesn't only function on open field fights and karmatrain.Vets are made some of, but not all of:

• Understanding what your actions mean to all parties involved, enemy or ally groups, not just you, your squad or your guild.
  • Understanding meta isn't just 1-dimensional 7-build thing and different builds are necessary for different situations and playstyles
  • Contribution to server, guild, players or WvW in general. Having personal memories and experiences. (The time played part)
  • Mechanics; having experience to dodge stealth bombs, being able to differentiate between different sized AoE fields, having right settings.
  • Understanding the difference single scout, commander or active player can make in outcome of a matchup or a fight
  • Understanding the factors that decide when group fun goes over objectives and when objectives go over your personal fun
  • Give and take attitude; Sometimes you let guilds GvG so they let you have your fights later. In crucial matchups you might do morning or nightcrew despite it not being your timezone.
  • Understanding your personal strengths. Some people can't play melee, some get bored playing ranged (rev btw), some can't zerg, some can't scout, some can't be loud, some can teach others, some can be funny.
  • Understanding importance of movement and positioning, in-fight and outside fight. Unfortunately PvE doesn't teach you this.

Now there are people that can be 10k rank but gained it in EotM following some random ktrainer commander without learning anything. These aren't WvW veterans but rather people who played some other gamemode. There are also people who AFKed or played 1-style on same build for 5k hour in WvW sitting in SM, these aren't veterans either because they didn't learn anything.