Upcoming Balance Notes - 10/1/2019

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Flumek.9043" said:--NECRO--

Hot garbage !I was having low expectations but arenanet surprised me yet again with how incopetent and unrealistic they are.

1) Death magic is getting its 3x rework. No real work has been put in, nothing new. The numbers are weak. The mechanic feels CLUNKY cz necro has to be slow and clunky like superglue - while everyone else is playing guildwars, the fluid good feeling game. The useless "on death effects" the stayed. Traits that are 10x too weak have been kept same.

2) Scourge changes. They dont change ANYTHING in WVW. They only make PVP unplayable and Pve worse.They failed the main point.

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder
WHERES MY EXTRA 15k HEALING
:) Dont care where or how, just asking where and when is compesation buff ?

4) Other class balance - 0 NERFSRAMPAGE ... nothingCONDI THIEF .. nothing , have a shorter stealTHIEF IMPROVISATION ---- oh you feel clunky ? here have some QoL that we took from necro :)REST --- still 10x dodges and 1-shot potential

Couldnt say it any better... Another sustain nerf for necros because we allready have enough dodges, blocks and invulns.... Oh wait wrong class....

Not that I dont semi agree but u guys sound like scourge was suffering lol seemed to be pretty great for pve,pvp and THE class along side fb in wvw. The not being able to cast a shade at range and on yourself was a great change. Upping target cap to from 5 to 10 savant was silly asf and baffles everyone as most complaints were about scourge in wvw which is now more broken. I don't know how to improve them in pve and pvp but the shade spamming at range and on its self was pure cheese just as condi thief is.

I mean scourge is really only to oppressive with a support lately otherwise it is annoying but compared to other classes easy to shut down. The Changes to shades are bad but scourge was never good designed to begin with and really the definition of unfun mechanics to me. On the other hand they 'fix' a trait that was one of the best sustain choices necro overall had for a long time and rework a bad traitline in a way that its possibly worse than it was before or at best still useless.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Hot garbage !I was having low expectations but arenanet surprised me yet again with how incopetent and unrealistic they are.

1) Death magic is getting its 3x rework. No real work has been put in, nothing new. The numbers are weak. The mechanic feels CLUNKY cz necro has to be slow and clunky like superglue - while everyone else is playing guildwars, the fluid good feeling game. The useless "on death effects" the stayed. Traits that are 10x too weak have been kept same.

2) Scourge changes. They dont change ANYTHING in WVW. They only make PVP unplayable and Pve worse.They failed the main point.

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder

4) Other class balance - 0 NERFSRAMPAGE ... nothingCONDI THIEF .. nothing , have a shorter stealTHIEF IMPROVISATION ---- oh you feel clunky ? here have some QoL that we took from necro :)REST --- still 10x dodges and 1-shot potential

Couldnt say it any better... Another sustain nerf for necros because we allready have enough dodges, blocks and invulns.... Oh wait wrong class....

Not that I dont semi agree but u guys sound like scourge was suffering lol seemed to be pretty great for pve,pvp and THE class along side fb in wvw. The not being able to cast a shade at range and on yourself was a great change. Upping target cap to from 5 to 10 savant was silly asf and baffles everyone as most complaints were about scourge in wvw which is now more broken. I don't know how to improve them in pve and pvp but the shade spamming at range and on its self was pure cheese just as condi thief is.

It was alright in PvP (great with a sup FB) and pretty much nonexistend in endgame PvE aside from very niche cases like Epi bot on SH.

A thing to note though, is that in theory at least I agree with the design change of the Shade effects being either on the Scourge or the Shade, the problem is just that such a change needs to come with vast compensation in terms of greatly increased DPS for PvE and any defensive capabilities in PvP, to be viable, as well as a redesign of the Minor Traits.You have to consider that Necro is the focus priority Nr.1 in PvP just because it's so easy to kill already, with the Shade around Scourge being the only mechanical countermeasure for focus Scourge has, and you already had to be god tier at kiting to stay alive for more than a 3 seconds into an engagement.With the Scourge losing it's ability to self barrier, condi cleanse etc. as well as to put out any melee counter pressure, the moment it put's out a Shade is a certain death sentence in PvP.

Additionally, the core issue of Scourge (and to a point Necro in general) of being ridiculous strong when cleaving many targets, and being fairly lacklustre against single targets (see performance and popularity in WvW vs Fractals/Raids), is still not addressed, with Traits like Sand Savant, being the cause of many of those problems, not even getting a look in.Quite the opposite, it seems like it will perform even better in large scale, and even worse in small scale now.

So the reasonable fear is, that they, as usual with Necro, chop it up to make room for "future improvements" which then never come.A process which already left Necro hacked up and feeling incomplete ever since the beta weekends into launch 7 years ago, and more so with many patches since, which then had to be covered up with broken/OP and unhealthy for the game elite spec mechanics as band aid.

Maybe anet needs to think of a way for scourge to fare better in melee or add a bit of mobility to its weapon sets. Right now it can pressure ranged with shades and staff, it can do ok melee medium range and close with axe/x no? And defensively create barriers on its self so they'd have to be careful cuz I'd imagine it wouldn't take much to push them over the line.

Necro doesn't really have good melee cleave/melee pressure outside of Reaper, but even then, the problem is that everything else can invul/block/ranged kite that with mobility easily, while also outsustaining Necro quite easily while doing so.Meanwhile Necro lacks any and all skillful interactions like combo finishers, well timed invulns or blocks, reflects, easy access movement skills, the resustain and basically everything else to keep up.It either locks down an opponent in a straight up fight and wins with pure numerical pressure, or is dead.

And now with the shade rework, it either has ranged pressure OR can do just okay at medium range/melee, including losing access to defensive barrier for 15 seconds after putting out a single shade somewhere.

The future I see for Necro is pretty much just Necro puts out Shade to pressure in ranged, and everybody leaps/ports, whatever into the Necro for an instant kill without countermeasure, or Scourge kites around not using Shades to prevent that, being essentially useless on the sidelines while their team loses an essentially outnumbered fight.

And sure, we can theorise about what Anet could do to alleviate some of those issues, like adding movement skills and blocks and such to Necro weapons, like most everything else has, but the issue is, they won't.Which is why people are upset about these changes.

The promise of "we break this now but then compensate with improvements later" has been broken every single time for 7 years, with Anet just breaking things and nothing being added for it later on for literally years at times.

This latest DM "rework" is yet another example of them having no idea what Necro needs or how to design for the profession.It's just yet another thing focused on some thematic idea, which in terms of gameplay basically changes nothing to how it was before (if not being worse) and doesn't fix any of the many holes Necro has.

Reworking Necro is like playing Minigolf if the entire course is just holes. You are bound to hit some issue the class has and fix it no matter what you do.It's almost impressive how they somehow manage to still miss regardless.

3) BLOOD BOND BUGFIX - Reality matters. Nothing else. No dreamworld or arenenets design teams concepts. YES - it was a bug. AND WITH A RANDOM bug that healed you for 5-15k in a 1v1 .... NECRO WAS STILL WORST SUSTAIN BUILD. slow to rotate. cant escape 1v1. Instadies to +1. Ez focus unless pocketed by babysitter.So I just wonder WHERES MY EXTRA 15k HEALING :) Dont care where or how, just asking where and when is compesation buff ?

Necro is by no means suffering. Lets not ride the "BUFF THIS BECAUSE X SAID SO" train, it'll only cause more headache for the devs because it'll get unnecessarily buffed again and be back to being OP.

@Ghos.1326 said:

Necro is by no means suffering. Lets not ride the "BUFF THIS BECAUSE X SAID SO" train, it'll only cause more headache for the devs because it'll get unnecessarily buffed again and be back to being OP.

Sarcasm?

@"Flumek.9043" said:4) Other class balance - 0 NERFS

The ranger sword and greatsword changes are net nerfs. They remove utility and mobility by increasing cooldowns and shuffling and changing skills. Then there is the longbow nerf.

They have previously butchered druid for months and kicked it out of competetive PvP/WvW, and soulbeast has had its fair share of nerfs for several patches before this aswell. So get out of here with the "no nerfs to other classes" bs.

@Josiah.2967 said:

Sarcasm?

Nope.

@Nimon.7840 said:

Symbol of Blades: Removed the double strike that occurs when the symbol is first created. Increased damage of each strike by 20% to compensate. Overall damage is unchanged.

Hello devs, please consider this:
  • Most players in PvP/WvW will not stand in symbols for more than 1 or 2 ticks
  • By removing the inital strike from symbol of blades and distributing it over the duration of the symbol, it is effectively a damage nerf in pvp, unless a player stands in the symbol for the duration of 4 seconds, which is extremely unlikely unless they are in downed state
  • If a player is only hit by the initial tick of the symbol and moves out of it, the change to symbol of blades is effectively a
    40% damage reduction
  • If a player is only hit by two ticks of the symbol, the change to symbol of blades is effectively a
    20% damage reduction

Please consider undoing this change OR compensating in PvP/WvW, as this skill was unintentionally nerfed purely for the sake of standardization(for those unaware, other symbol skills function like the new version of symbol of blades). It may seem irrelevant, however in PvP every small bit matters, and this isn't the first time guardian received an unintentional nerf in PvP/WvW due to standardization of skills. Previously, lesser smite condition was changed to cast after healing(like other skills) which means it no longer clears poison prior to healing and feels clunky. I understand the need for standardization - it streamlines things and reduces confusion regarding skills, however, please consider compensating lost performance. This was already done in PvE, since NPCs stand in symbols so the overall damage should not change, but it is simply not the case outside of that game mode.

Necro got no compensation for the delay on shade abilities, and that's pretty much exactly the same. Why should guard get something for it?

Wasn't a standardization. Was an intentional nerf. Completely irrelevant to what I am discussing.

@Ghos.1326 said:

No necromancer(Core) and to some extent (Reaper) are suffering. Scourge is not, Scourge is to necromancer what Herald is to revenant the core class itself suffers and falls further behind while one elite spec specifically makes it playable in specific modes. Core Rev is unwanted everywhere and I believe so is core necromancer; Where as Reaper and scourge can be good and herald is good for competitive while renegade is only good for PvE.

Both classes are in the same boat, weapons unusable because they are trash and everyone pointing calling them OP because "Elite specs" work well on them for what they were intended to do. This issue becomes that the nerfs and removal of things will be delivered to the Core class with no justification rather than the Elite spec itself which is the portion causing the issue. Its like soulbeast and ranger, Core ranger and druid aren't even an issue because both have fallen behind but freak'n soulbeast( Boonbeast) is the issue and continues to be one.

how do they solve it? Nerf core, and gut druid. They've left boonbeast in a still ridiculous state and continue nerfing the tools of the other two while not looking at the common denominator. This trend will continue until only the E-specs can be run if something isn't done.

• ArenaNet Staff

Just wanted to jump in to address a few questions and comments I've seen popping up frequently in relation to these update notes:

Why does Function Gyro die when CCed?Destruction on CC allows other players to counter the skill just like they would counter a normal stomp or res attempt. There is no point to the gyro existing after being interrupted as we don't feel it's fair for it to attempt multiple stomps or reses. This has been the functionality since the rework but we are clarifying it in the upcoming update because players are under the mistaken assumption that Function Gyro has low health and armor. The Function Gyro has 18k health and 1.3k armor. (A level 80 Elementalist in ascended armor with no bonus toughness or vitality has about 12k health 1.9k armor.)

Can Improvisation recharge my Heal or Elite?Improvisation recharges one of your utility skills. It does not recharge the Heal or the Elite.

What does Mending Might do?This was an editing error that should be fixed for the final release notes next week. Mending might heals the warrior whenever the warrior grants might to an ally and has no internal cooldown.

Power Break isn't related to Mantra of Pain, which skill does this note refer to?This is another error and should be "Power Spike". It should be corrected on the final notes.

How much barrier does Call of Valor give?About 2.5k with a 1x healing multiplier.

@"Dediggefedde.4961" said:I also think +50% on warrior-damage is a bit unreasonable against scrappers.Granted, no one really runs tactics in WvW, but the patch looks like some warriors should want to at some point.At that point, it will be good against scourges and unreasonable against heal-scrappers. Pistol-1 gives like 38 barrier.

However, power-scrapper are usually at max-barrier cap and scourges have also great barriers up. In those cases +50% is reasonable.

So, how about a barrier-treshold?"Deals +50% damage against targets with more than 2000 barrier".That would spare scrappers that don't specialize in barrier generation, still hit through bulwark.gyro and would not change anything against other classes.

Don't forget weavers. We get minor barrier, less than 1k, from every dual attack. Which is about every 5 sec.

With this patch, warriors could completely remove weavers from being a side node for pvp

@Robert Gee.9246 said:Just wanted to jump in to address a few questions and comments I've seen popping up frequently in relation to these update notes:

Why does Function Gyro die when CCed?Destruction on CC allows other players to counter the skill just like they would counter a normal stomp or res attempt. There is no point to the gyro existing after being interrupted as we don't feel it's fair for it to attempt multiple stomps or reses. This has been the functionality since the rework but we are clarifying it in the upcoming update because players are under the mistaken assumption that Function Gyro has low health and armor. The Function Gyro has 18k health and 1.3k armor. (A level 80 Elementalist in ascended armor with no bonus toughness or vitality has about 12k health 1.9k armor.)

I haven't observed 18k health function gyros in Fractals. I've seen my function gyros die nearly instantly from when they were spawned near random AoE. Are you sure that health number isn't getting divided by 5 (the maximum number of f-gyros)?

@"Robert Gee.9246" said:Just wanted to jump in to address a few questions and comments I've seen popping up frequently in relation to these update notes:

Can Improvisation recharge my Heal or Elite?Improvisation recharges one of your utility skills. It does not recharge the Heal or the Elite.

What does Mending Might do?This was an editing error that should be fixed for the final release notes next week. Mending might heals the warrior whenever the warrior grants might to an ally and has no internal cooldown.

Power Break isn't related to Mantra of Pain, which skill does this note refer to?This is another error and should be "Power Spike". It should be corrected on the final notes.

How much barrier does Call of Valor give?About 2.5k with a 1x healing multiplier.

So... How much does Mending Might heal for, and does it proc on might that the warrior gives themselves?

@"Robert Gee.9246" said:Just wanted to jump in to address a few questions and comments I've seen popping up frequently in relation to these update notes:

oof thats a chunk of a barrier

Total failure to address the flaws & weaknesses of other 'support' options (static, immobile, resistance, stability, ground stuff) compared to powerful Firebrand support.Total failure to address Holo it either needs to have a lot of CC, or a lot of sustain, or a lot of dmg, or a lot of invuln stealth etc, or really short cooldowns, but not everything all at once.Condi thief is too high reward for little risk.

Scourge changes need to be totally shelved. Someone completely new needs to take a totally fresh look at whatever you want to tweak about scourge. These changes look like probably the worst changes I've seen to a class in 25+years of playing MMO's since UO. I'm just amazed how you could gut the central themes of a class so thoroughly. I thought the druid changes were bad, then the chrono changes were worse, but scourge changes set a new bar for ruining a class. Astonishing.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Kalifax.3046 said:RIP Powerful Synergy. I'll miss you, even if you were kitten for a grandmaster trait. I wish combos were less of a useless gimmick and more of a powerful option.

Well Martial Cadence is a unique alternative at least.

True, it's interesting. Powerful Synergy was really unique too, and I hope it will reincarnate in some respect, maybe for a different profession. Just more traits that beef up combos in some way would be neat.

@Kalifax.3046 said:

@Kalifax.3046 said:RIP Powerful Synergy. I'll miss you, even if you were kitten for a grandmaster trait. I wish combos were less of a useless gimmick and more of a powerful option.

True, it's interesting. Powerful Synergy was really unique too, and I hope it will reincarnate in some respect, maybe for a different profession. Just more traits that beef up combos in some way would be neat.

They'd have to make combos worth using to be frank before that happens.

RIP scourge, ANet did the opposite that people asked for nerfing it in PvE and PvP more but buffed in WvW.

ANet has basiclly buffed warriors to be able to kill scourge much faster in PvP, yay death in secounds as you already stuggle to get warrior below 90% at start of the fight.

Mesmers, warriors, guard, holo, thief and ranger has all in one builds available , damage, mobility , boons, heals, and some stealth too.

Reaper is the only thing that is only ok in PvE (played by people who like the theme mainly but still can be out-perform by most of other class) while scourges will be a even bigger problem in WvW.

Dont worry, we have death magic now for an extra mighty 600 toughness which we have to sacrifice whole specialization line for while on others are already included in traits in different specialization line along with fart for heals, boons, invulnerable etc.

Blind, chill and fear are next to uesless too in pvp.

@Kalan.9705 said:Total failure to address the flaws & weaknesses of other 'support' options (static, immobile, resistance, stability, ground stuff) compared to powerful Firebrand support.Total failure to address Holo it either needs to have a lot of CC, or a lot of sustain, or a lot of dmg, or a lot of invuln stealth etc, or really short cooldowns, but not everything all at once.Condi thief is too high reward for little risk.

Scourge changes need to be totally shelved. Someone completely new needs to take a totally fresh look at whatever you want to tweak about scourge. These changes look like probably the worst changes I've seen to a class in 25+years of playing MMO's since UO. I'm just amazed how you could gut the central themes of a class so thoroughly. I thought the druid changes were bad, then the chrono changes were worse, but scourge changes set a new bar for ruining a class. Astonishing.

You left out how they brutally killed anti toxin Scrapper in just one patch. And, continue to beat that dead horse in this coming patch. The Balance Team, indeed.

The balancing patch looks pretty good on some professions.But on other professions this is not at all the case and some things are not harmonised as you say.

Necromancer:

Nerf on 4 torch and the Corruption is good.Blood Bond fix is fine but now you have to up this line without the bug this trait is useless.On the redesign of shades system tested.Given the redesign of shades, I suppose you've given up the nerf of the barriers or is that an omission compared to your other post?

Death Magic: This trait line has been reworked.You have made a branch still based on toughness, which the necro doesn't need, it already has a huge pv pull + the shroud.I suppose you want the necro to be a tank role, because in pve HL, toughness is reserved for the tank.

• First problem is that the necro doesn't have the tools to tank + support his team in comparison to chrono or FB.Chrono currently has 2 invulnerability on these signs, access to distortion with the sword.At the blockage with the sword and shield, access to the aegis, access to stability for you and your team.In addition it can give alacrity and quickness and increase all the advantages of its squad.All this CDs are reduced by 50% with alacrity and a return to the past in addition!

• 2nd problemIf the necro tank, it will move everywhere because it should dodge the aoe or move to not take them so the boss moves loss of dps so tank ineffective compared to what we have available.The chrono doesn't need to move so the boss is also asked to move, so an increase in the dps because the boss stays in the Aoe.How do you want the necro to be able to play equal when you have the chrono in front of you.A boss who will bump you or you one shot apart from our shroud we have only that to survive!

• 3th big ProblemYou have made a synergy between death magic and necro pets!But all the pets die constantly at each AOE, the time to get their CD back is very long and the cast very long too.We don't need cast on the invocations, maybe they appear after X seconds when we have activated the skill.In addition all necro pet should when the special ability of the pet is activated die! to have more control over them and have more control over the Death nova line.Make pets inherit part of the stat power, condition damage, precision, vitality and toughness of the necromancer.Make all pets that it has been necro, ranger, elem, pet that pops on the runes, guild of thieves, ...All pets are an aggro to them and they don't put you in combat if you haven't attacked or if you are attacked.Because it hinders the passage out of combat, so out combat regen and mobility in open world and pvp and McM.

On traits :Flesh of the Master should be basic in the description when you select Death magic.

Beyond the Veil is too weak put instead in Minor Grandmaster Death summon you invoke a horror for every death with Xs of CDs

Armored Shroud incrase at 10 stacks of Death's CarapaceCurrently it's 180 of robutesse and it's not played and you lowered it again instead of up.

If we talk about certain traits like the one Putrid Defense you make a line on poison when we have almost no skill that inflicts poison!We have 3th auto attack of the scepter putrid cruse (very, very slow), skill 3 of the staff chillblainsCorrosive poison cloud that is used in no game mode because it is not powerful and punitive enough.Plagueland but except in raid otherwise this spell is never used because Aoe is too small and we can't place himAnd the trait Death nova.If you want this feature to be a minimum a chance to be used changed a minor feature a bit like Barbed Precision for poisonTrait Example : You and your pets with X% chance of inflicting poison for Xsecondes on each hit (CD is X seconds on each pet and X seconds on you)

Death Nova split in 2 treats itself if your main attribute is power when the pet dies it makes an explosion (combo) of X damage depending on your power.If your main attribute is alteration it generates a cloud of poison of X damage depending on your alteration.

• I find that there are problems with the positioning of the line branches, you had done something great on thief or you specified the columns 1 utility, 1 defensive, 1 offensive.

I was very impatient with the redesign of the Dead Branch, the community has been asking for it for 7 years so I was expecting something really crazy, you had time for that!Access has more mobility, necro pets redesign, more dps in PVE because we are the lowest dps level and we bring no buff to our group. Actually, none of that.I pointed out in your last Post that only the necro AFk farm currently uses the Death Magic branch, and ironically you buffed it, waiting for you at bots wave of necro spe pet.Do you want the price of gems to rise? have a bots invasion? The next step is the engineer turret buff? because it's true that there aren't enough of them already in open world.

7 years of waiting to play with one less draught branch again because it is useless.Try to get new ideas and test your Spe in real conditions, compare them to other current Meta roles and see if it has the same ease to do its role + if it brings something comparable to its squad.I'm so disappointed in this patch for the necro ,I've had too much hope.

Warrior:

In a few words the rework of the tactical branch + the horn is too strong for my taste. (with alacrity it will be anything)All this does automatically you hit, = heal and buff power constantly 5people and it's magical.

Thief :

He still in the top dps with a 3-key rotation for 7 years in pve.Improving stealth detection skills is good but if you let the Shadow Meld (elite sniper skill) removed revealed in mcm we will always have the same problem.Stealth is about to engage or escape.On GW2 it is constant and part of your dps which is absurd because 3/4 of the game's skills require a target, stealth is too powerful!Fix all skill failures caused by an invalid path on all professions, pls.

Mesmer :

Problem on wells and clones in mcm already mentioned in your last post.A big problem of coherence on the shatters of Mesmer.So all core/spe mesmer must have clones to use their F1,2,3 and 4Or they can use them all without clones.But we have to choose and resolve this quickly pls, it's a question of cohesion and equity.

@Robert Gee.9246 Thx for your previous answers

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

They'd have to make combos worth using to be frank before that happens.

They'd have to improve the usability of combos before that happens. No point making them stronger in their current state. They aren't an aspect of gameplay you can reliably interact with in most cases because of all the combo fields that end up on the ground.

For a start, your own combo fields should always be prioritized, followed by party, then squad, then other. Conflicts within a category (self, party, squad, other) can be dealt with using the current system (first field entered). And even that would still need improvement.

@Jasonbdj.4021 said:RIP scourge, ANet did the opposite that people asked for nerfing it in PvE and PvP more but buffed in WvW.

It's not buffed in WvW. Its damage at a range is... sorta buffed because it hits more people. However, what made scourge truly bad in WvW was the fact that it was able to support its sub squad with barrier pulses from sand shade at the same time as dealing all of its damage. It did all the DPS with absolutely zero sacrifice in utility. I specifically ran a power burst blood/barrier scourge that did easily 20-30k aoe damage bursts while still applying barrier to my entire havoc. THIS is what made them broken in WvW... HOWEVER... most of that barrier came from sand shade pulses of some kind.

By making the necro pulse zero of the sand shade skills on itself once a shade is placed, it forces you to choose between support and damage rather than getting both at once all the time with no effort. At BEST you can place two small shades away and one next to you but it still won't provide near the damage or support that big shade bombs did in WvW previously. And for the condi builds, you have to invest pretty heavily in to condi damage, which means you're not taking the barrier skills. This is a definite step in the right direction.