something said in guild chat stream about bands, music types of each race gave me an idea...

I believe it was Novera that said they all like the idea, but as it's kinda hard to do and time consuming, that there would have to be content teams for each one.Well, we do have a pretty talented community, what if Anet did some kind of auditions or contest, they determine what style music each race would most likely have, and have community members upload their info and recordings of what they got into the forums with sub forums for each genre?? Winners gets to make content for Anet. Thoughts? Other than "they'll never do it!"

I don't like the idea of racially defined music. Mainly because I'm pretty sure that someone will come with "sylvari should play some kind of dreamy Enya style music" (which I don't dislike, but I don't like it being shoved on sylvari just because they're the flower guys). So how about omitting the race - style part?

I do like the rest of your suggestion. Even if most of the music wouldn't make it in the game still a contest would be a great thing. There's never enough fan made nice stuff to enjoy for the less talented (like me). And I think that those pieces might be even better than the ML songs (what a heresy! :) But I must admit their lyrics are not really my cup of tea. Not saying they're bad, I just prefer a little different style/form of lyrics).

@"anninke.7469" said:I don't like the idea of racially defined music. Mainly because I'm pretty sure that someone will come with "sylvari should play some kind of dreamy Enya style music" (which I don't dislike, but I don't like it being shoved on sylvari just because they're the flower guys). So how about omitting the race - style part?

I do like the rest of your suggestion. Even if most of the music wouldn't make it in the game still a contest would be a great thing. There's never enough fan made nice stuff to enjoy for the less talented (like me). And I think that those pieces might be even better than the ML songs (what a heresy! :) But I must admit their lyrics are not really my cup of tea. Not saying they're bad, I just prefer a little different style/form of lyrics).

I think racial themed music could be interesting, if it was done in a more nuanced and creative way. For example asura creating something similar to math rock where there's much more focus on the technicalities like unusual time signatures and structures, not necessarily rock though (I assume there's similar subgenres for other genres of music, but I don't know what they're called) and maybe more unusual instruments, like a theremin.

I'm not sure what kind of music I'd associated with the sylvari though. Probably something experimental with loads of influences from other cultures, and yes natural sounds, because their culture is still relatively young and very open to experimentation with new things, but I'm not sure what it would sound like in terms of genres. Maybe a bit of everything? Sylvari metal band, sylvari indie singer-songerwiter, sylvari orchestra...sylvari orchestra using instruments you'd never see in a real-life orchestra because they think they'd fit together?

The norn already have music in their lore in the form of skaalds writing and singing ballads and I think they have a fair few drinking songs for moots too. I could definitely see them going for either folk music intended for everyone in the room to join in on or something like big band jazz and blues with lots of emphasis on improvisation and audience participation.

Humans are difficult because I feel like their culture is still quite generic but I could see them being the ones to go for the Enya style floating relaxing music. Or sweeping inspirational orchestral pieces, kind of like the GW2 soundtrack. And the charr of course have their metal band.

And Lion's Arch absolutely needs a pirate band like Alestorm.

@"anninke.7469" said:I don't like the idea of racially defined music. Mainly because I'm pretty sure that someone will come with "sylvari should play some kind of dreamy Enya style music" (which I don't dislike, but I don't like it being shoved on sylvari just because they're the flower guys). So how about omitting the race - style part?

solution would be to take genres with many sub genres or ones that don't really have a set style. on top of that there could be subgenres that are popular with other races or incorporate elements from other race's music (for example there could be a metal band with char and norn that play "norn-metal" (and yes, i am thinking of korpiklaani)).

edit: just thought of a name for a "new" sub genre: Grenth-metal

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Look around you today and what would you call "human-music"?

For that reason alone I dislike looking at playable races as homogeneous.

i think you have to look at it from a cultural perspective, so less human-music and more Indian-music and yes different cultures gravitate towards different genres and styles. on top of that you've also got sub genres and hybrid genres.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think racial themed music could be interesting, if it was done in a more nuanced and creative way. For example asura creating something similar to math rock where there's much more focus on the technicalities like unusual time signatures and structures, not necessarily rock though (I assume there's similar subgenres for other genres of music, but I don't know what they're called) and maybe more unusual instruments, like a theremin.

I'm not sure what kind of music I'd associated with the sylvari though. Probably something experimental with loads of influences from other cultures, and yes natural sounds, because their culture is still relatively young and very open to experimentation with new things, but I'm not sure what it would sound like in terms of genres. Maybe a bit of everything? Sylvari metal band, sylvari indie singer-songerwiter, sylvari orchestra...sylvari orchestra using instruments you'd never see in a real-life orchestra because they think they'd fit together?

The norn already have music in their lore in the form of skaalds writing and singing ballads and I think they have a fair few drinking songs for moots too. I could definitely see them going for either folk music intended for everyone in the room to join in on or something like big band jazz and blues with lots of emphasis on improvisation and audience participation.

Humans are difficult because I feel like their culture is still quite generic but I could see them being the ones to go for the Enya style floating relaxing music. Or sweeping inspirational orchestral pieces, kind of like the GW2 soundtrack. And the charr of course have their metal band.

And Lion's Arch absolutely needs a pirate band like Alestorm.**@"derd.6413" said:solution would be to take genres with many sub genres or ones that don't really have a set style. on top of that there could be subgenres that are popular with other races or incorporate elements from other race's music (for example there could be a metal band with char and norn that play "norn-metal" (and yes, i am thinking of korpiklaani)).

Well, I thought about something like "every race can play >style<, but there are different influences recognizable". Let's use folk metal as an example of this. You can quite easily tell if a band is working with traditional celtic, viking, mongolian or any other heritage/inspiration. So that would be similar. There'd be distinctive things (typical instruments, prefered tone sequences...) about each race's music but it would not lead to "sylvari play X while asura play Y".

Grenth-metal sounds very promising. Also, sylvari would definitely have wood-metal, whatever that might mean. It'd sure be experimental as mulch. Oooh, and there'd be the loved-by-everyone experi-metal :D

@anninke.7469 said:

@"derd.6413" said:solution would be to take genres with many sub genres or ones that don't really have a set style. on top of that there could be subgenres that are popular with other races or incorporate elements from other race's music (for example there could be a metal band with char and norn that play "norn-metal" (and yes, i am thinking of korpiklaani)).

Well, I thought about something like "every race can play >style<, but there are different influences recognizable". Let's use folk metal as an example of this. You can quite easily tell if a band is working with traditional celtic, viking, mongolian or any other heritage/inspiration. So that would be similar. There'd be distinctive things (typical instruments, prefered tone sequences...) about each race's music but it would not lead to "sylvari play X while asura play Y".

Grenth-metal sounds very promising. Also, sylvari would definitely have wood-metal, whatever that might mean. It'd sure be experimental as mulch. Oooh, and there'd be the loved-by-everyone experi-metal :D

i think of it more like sylvari prefere X and asura preferre Y so while human metal exsists it's alot smaller and more niche compared to the charr's metal scene.

grenth-metal would probably be something like powerwolf or maybe gothic metal