Where does your opinion stand on introducing more "Smaller Objectives" into WvW?

Knighthonor.4061

There's already plenty of objectives if you also count towers. Another option would be to bring back manual upgrades. There was always too much to do when defending the borderlands and cycling through objectives to kick off upgrades. This kept people active on the map and improved roaming. Now you can just run off to join the zerg.

@"Gorani.7205" said:I would like to see expanded assets instead of new ones, like an additional level to sentriesStatus Quo (on Alpine):They slow down dolyaks by crippling them and reveal enemies via orange dots on the map.

New Idea (for Alpine, because DBL already has something extra)After the sentry spawns, it features a small checkpoint (like in DBL, where you can pick up the med kit). For 10 supply you can give the sentry post an additional feature, like "loot supply" (the first hit of the sentry on a dolyak reduces its supply by 15, cutting it in half for normal dollies); or "claw hunter" (the sentry gets a sniper's rifle that will de-mount enemy warclaw riders after the have been marked for 3 seconds); or "signal horn" (when being attacked, allies within 5000 range will hear the call of a warhorn and get a head's up on the enemy close by; enemy attackers will be revealed for 6 seconds.)Sentries could have a much bigger impact this way and matter more on the battle field.

Other ideas could be to replace the useless canon above ruins with a version that is powered by an ghost warrior, who only appears when you have killed an enemy in a ruin's circle. What about giving the Skritt and the Centaurs an active role, other than being PvE events. Skritt could build free "scrap golems", when you control their territory, centaurs could recruit messengers that can be deployed to structures, who will make swords appear immediately on the map and not after the usual delay of 20 (?) seconds.After reading the thread more carefully I just had to respond to this, because it also apply to many other ideas thrown around here:

This is what PLAYERS are supposed to do and there are tools for it already!

"Feature" that drain supply from dollys? Players are supposed to kill them to starve objectives and we can spend 10 supplies for a supply trap already."Claw hunter"? I'm called a roamer thank you VERY much."Signal horn"? I'm called a scout thank you VERY much and we can spend 10 supplies for a mark trap already.

You are literally talking about things players do. We already have these "smallscale objectives". And if we are going to be really nitpicky, these kinds of ideas of automating WvW - replacing jobs player do with jobs the AI can do - is one of the major reasons for the overall decline of WvW. Before we had sentries, guard towers and keeps magically spotting everything for 5 minutes, we had to rely on our eyes and ears and there where people fully dedicated to scouting, working with commanders. Like it was their own objective. And they didnt even get any rewards for it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Gorani.7205" said:I would like to see expanded assets instead of new ones, like an additional level to sentriesStatus Quo (on Alpine):They slow down dolyaks by crippling them and reveal enemies via orange dots on the map.

New Idea (for Alpine, because DBL already has something extra)After the sentry spawns, it features a small checkpoint (like in DBL, where you can pick up the med kit). For 10 supply you can give the sentry post an additional feature, like "loot supply" (the first hit of the sentry on a dolyak reduces its supply by 15, cutting it in half for normal dollies); or "claw hunter" (the sentry gets a sniper's rifle that will de-mount enemy warclaw riders after the have been marked for 3 seconds); or "signal horn" (when being attacked, allies within 5000 range will hear the call of a warhorn and get a head's up on the enemy close by; enemy attackers will be revealed for 6 seconds.)Sentries could have a much bigger impact this way and matter more on the battle field.

Other ideas could be to replace the useless canon above ruins with a version that is powered by an ghost warrior, who only appears when you have killed an enemy in a ruin's circle. What about giving the Skritt and the Centaurs an active role, other than being PvE events. Skritt could build free "scrap golems", when you control their territory, centaurs could recruit messengers that can be deployed to structures, who will make swords appear immediately on the map and not after the usual delay of 20 (?) seconds.After reading the thread more carefully I just had to respond to this, because it also apply to many other ideas thrown around here:

This is what
PLAYERS
are supposed to do and there are tools for it already!

"Feature" that drain supply from dollys?
Players are supposed to kill them to starve objectives
and
we can spend 10 supplies for a supply trap already
."Claw hunter"?
I'm called a roamer thank you VERY much
."Signal horn"?
I'm called a scout thank you VERY much
and
we can spend 10 supplies for a mark trap already

You are
literally
talking about things players do. We already have these "smallscale objectives". And if we are going to be
really
nitpicky, these kinds of ideas of automating WvW - replacing jobs player do with jobs the AI can do - is one of the major reasons for the overall decline of WvW. Before we had sentries, guard towers and keeps magically spotting everything for 5 minutes, we had to rely on our eyes and ears and there where people fully dedicated to scouting, working with commanders.
Like it was their own objective
. And they didnt even get any rewards for it.

Every sentry upgrade I have described can be done BETTER by a player and more adaptive (dollys can be looted/killed everywhere on their path, not just at the sentry spot; enemy warclaws can be intercepted everywhere; the position of an enemy can be reported anywhere via map chat). Unlike e.g. the watchtower, which has a 360° radius of sight - all the time, the human scout is inferior, because he can only look in one direction and has LoS blocking).I think my ideas provoke players to get involved with the sentries a lot more, which is good. e.g. even if you have map dominance, you should not ignore a sentry that could potentially half the supply brought to a keep to upgrade (in addition to the slower walk speed); you could lure a very evasive enemy close to a sentry with the claw hunter upgrade and engage him in a fight after he got dismounted. I am not sure players with a low WvW population in off-hours would reject some "automated help" like you do.The OP's question was about new "small objectives". I think upgrading sentries qualifies for that.

Would prefer to see more. The reason for that is would add in more strategy if the objectives had value.

For sentries, had posted similar in the past on the old forums. Geist was that as each yak passes through the sentry has a counter for three tiers. Each tier has a spot for an upgrade which would be created like normal thru scribing. The world is your oyster here on the type of upgrades that could be added. You could add hardened guards, mini-watch towers, patrols and various other options. The other concept was as the sentry upgrades in tiers more guards and type of guards would be added to the area as well so it could come to a full roadblock. It's point value would also increase as it leveled up. Sentries would provide a +1 per tick base with a addition point per tier.Will have to dig out the one on sappers, it would work well in tandem to upgrade sentries and act as counter play to the sapper idea, more on that later.

Additional objectives don't have to mean walls either, but if they added a strategic value then they would have even more options for open world encounters. Some of the best small scale fights have been around bloodlust on both ABL & DBL. Maybe another set elsewhere that provides a defense bonus to the side controlling them. Activate the NPCs in ABL so that they can be used to harass the camps. Add portal stones that once controlled can be used once an hour for a jump to other places on the map. Once you have the debuff that it was used you can't use another portal stone until debuff timer wears down. Don't want to get a zerg behind your lines, make sure to keep those on your side's control.

Don't really see the need as there are many small objectives already in the game. Adding more would just disperse the population more. When I feel like some solo roaming or ganking I just cap camps and control points behind enemy lines or when there is a monument daily I go to enemy BL and camp the monument closest to the enemy keep. I am the king of this monument hill, come and get me if you can.

@Sarrs.4831 said:I'd like smaller objectives but only if they make sense in the context of the map.EBG is already loaded, it doesn't need more stuff in it.Desert Borderlands is fine as it is.

The obvious answer is to re-rework Alpine and add back the Quaggans and Krait.

Issue with eb and alpine is that they are a low effort map, objectives are close to each other and one server can treb plus Zerg wich imo it’s lame and a bad design.

Maps should be designed with more large scale deahmatch mentality with small and larger groups objectives, rather than a redundancy map optimized for ktrain wich is what these maps were designed for initially mostly EB.

Anet need to remove the treb stack n spam from tower to tower.

What I have been noticing is that Anet confuses lowneffort gimmick with mechanics and objectives that end being abused by map blobs.This is some other mindset they need to improve 1st before they can make further changes into the game mode, besides all this can only happen after alliances.