Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

INOY.6945

@Sigiran.4195 said:I can't type in Cyrillic too but I don't think this is problem.

Blind people cannot see, but they still can live their lifes.In most cases, blind people, unfortunatelly, cannot get their vision back. But to let ru-community to have a possibility use Cyrillic in chat, so they can talk to each other on their native language - ANet has all the instruments. Why do not use them?

@EyeQ.9724 said:

@"Sigiran.4195" said:I can't type in Cyrillic too but I don't think this is problem.

Blind people cannot see, but they still can live their lifes.In most cases, blind people, unfortunatelly, cannot get their vision back. But to let ru-community to have a possibility use Cyrillic in chat, so they can talk to each other on their native language - ANet has all the instruments. Why do not use them?

:) I don't know. Maybe because of that:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Add-Cyrillic-Symbols/5465134

I mean:

"VaLee.5102

I want a Zulu localisation, else it’s a discrimination against my tribe. And my fellow african neighbours want it too, so please offer localisation for the 500 or so dialects that are spoken in my region, else we’ll feel disrespected and we’ll riot."

@Sigiran.4195 said:

@Sigiran.4195 said:I can't type in Cyrillic too but I don't think this is problem.

:) I don't know. Maybe because of that:

I mean:

"VaLee.5102

I want a Zulu localisation, else it’s a discrimination against my tribe. And my fellow african neighbours want it too, so please offer localisation for the 500 or so dialects that are spoken in my region, else we’ll feel disrespected and we’ll riot."

If you like using transliteration it is your option. But, please, no need to say another that your point is better.

P.S.Speaking of other languages.If they really want to use their native language in this game, they could make a request for that. But not flood up into another topic.

@Sigiran.4195 said:

I mean:

"VaLee.5102

Did you read this topic from the start? I think, I'll be the 100th who say that we aren't talking about lo-ca-li-za-ti-on. WE DON'T NEED THIS! We are talking about CHAT ONLY. Is it really so hard to understand?

@Sir Shreder.4206 said:

I mean:

"VaLee.5102

Did you read this topic from the start? I think, I'll be the 100th who say that we aren't talking about lo-ca-li-za-ti-on. WE DON'T NEED THIS! We are talking about CHAT ONLY. Is it really so hard to understand?

And chat only is still to much to add, since it give no return on their investment only further costs.

Are you a developer from ANet or maybe you work in their marketing department?How could you calculate their incomes?

Well its not rocket sience, not having to add and support cyrillic cost zero dollars.Having to program to add cyrillic and then support it cost dollars.

@Linken.6345 said:

I mean:

"VaLee.5102

And chat only is still to much to add, since it give no return on their investment only further costs.

Are you a developer from ANet or maybe you work in their marketing department?How could you calculate their incomes?

Well its not rocket sience, not having to add and support cyrillic cost zero dollars.Having to program to add cyrillic and then support it cost dollars.

I would say you are not good astronaut.Why do you care so much about not your money?

Most people who support request is waiting for an official answer.Can you provide that type of answer?

The amount of whinging in this thread is incredible.There are other MMOs out there with the ability to chat in different languages, so why is adding Cyrillic, and other languages not currently supported by the game's code, such an issue? Why do y'all personally care so much that ANET has to hire new CS people to (potentially) handle more support tickets, if they don't outright put in a clause that support tickets must be written in English or the current "supported" European languages? The amount of money that they'd get in return with an increased playerbase would easily outweigh any cost that reworking the coding and (yet again, potentially) hiring more CS reps would bring.

I don't speak any language besides English. Am I going to be upset when I see people speaking other languages in map chat? No, and I'm not going to go out of my way to belittle those who speak very little to no English because the US doesn't own the world (surprise) and while English is a relatively universal language now days, it's hell to try and learn if you didn't grow up doing so.

"Glaswen.7926" said:Anet, please, if you decide to add Cyrillic alphabet to the game, keep it out of map+say chat, lfg and especially character names. And add some kind of block to Latin-only letters filter (similar to Only English one). There are many people who wouldn’t like to see alien symbols in this game.Alien symbols? Really? :# Wanna swing your "alien symbol" rhetoric at people who speak Greek? Arabic? Japanese? Or would you rather backpedal on you abysmally poor wording choice?

That being said, I hope ANet can give y'all the Cyrillic chat you're wanting at some point in the future.

@Giovanelli.6071I am surprised why this request became an issue. Really, I don't understand that problem. So, I am on your side in this question.

The amount of money that they'd get in return with an increased playerbase would easily outweigh any cost that reworking the coding and (yet again, potentially) hiring more CS reps would bring.And I also can't realize why people take care of ANet's money, like moneysitters.If you are an employee of ANet or NCSoft, please, give us an official answer.Otherwise, please, explain to me why you try to wear their shoes. Maybe I will do the same.

@Sir Shreder.4206 said:@Giovanelli.6071I am surprised why this request became an issue. Really, I don't understand that problem. So, I am on your side in this question.

The amount of money that they'd get in return with an increased playerbase would easily outweigh any cost that reworking the coding and (yet again, potentially) hiring more CS reps would bring.And I also can't realize why people take care of ANet's money, like moneysitters.If you are an employee of ANet or NCSoft, please, give us an official answer.Otherwise, please, explain to me why you try to wear their shoes. Maybe I will do the same.

Becouse they like the money to be spent on content that everyone can play instead of working on adding text for the few?EditTo be fair the guy you quoted have no idea if it will bring anet any money, the ones who would have started to play gw2 most likely already have its 7 years old already.

A new expansion aimed at the russian community with added cyrillic focused on dredge might get more cyrillic people to join but I dont see that happening anytime soon.

We do not know the “why” they do not enter the Cyrillic alphabet. If we received an official response (whatever it may be), we would calm down and live with any decision of the company. Silence in response creates only uncertainty. I believe that in order to fully understand our requests, you need to live a little in our body. The easiest way to talk about something that you have never lost.

We do not know the “
why
” they do not enter the Cyrillic alphabet. If we received an official response (whatever it may be), we would calm down and live with any decision of the company. Silence in response creates only uncertainty. I believe that in order to fully understand our requests, you need to live a little in our body. The easiest way to talk about something that you have never lost.

they will probably not respond to your question. they very rarely -ever- do so, dont expect it, you would probably have a better shot at getting an answer on the reddit, they seem to spend much more time there, or at least they used to.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Ulysses.9345" said:Maybe someone from Arena.net can explain Mr. Inoy personally why it is impossible to add cyrillic to chat of GW2 and gives him some "cookies"?

1) You know perfectly well that we use Discord.2) What does the Orc-podcaster video have to do with it? You mixed everything together. That's funny. : -D3) Of course, it was impossible not to mention that I do all this for the sake of fame and fortune. The option of representing the interest of my community here immediately disappears.4) All the answers on the forum are known to me. These were answers related to localization, or single appeals about the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet. The Russian-speaking community never came together to express their problems in large numbers.5) Why didn’t I do this two years ago? Very simple. Two years ago, I was "nobody" in this game. I just played and got fun from the gameplay. And today I have an audience that talks about their problems. Therefore, the issue of introducing the Cyrillic alphabet arose so sharply.

Your message shows hostility towards me as a person. I do not know a single normal inhabitant of this planet who would not want to be able to write in his native language. With all Discords, Timspeaks and other programs for communication.

So why cant you continue to use the superior program discord to talk with your community, its not like anet is forcing it to close down so you cant use it.Unlike something else they recently showed to bring in cash.It took them over 2 years to do build templates that one person did before that they can charge for.How long do you think it will take to add free cyrillic text in chat that they cant charge for probabely 5-7 years is my bet.

Considering that GW2 chat already supports Korean and Traditional Chinese, it very much might be that support for Cyrillic requires only a change of font. If this is the case, the price tag on this change is about $2000 ($500-1000 for a commercial font licence and $1000 for updating dependencies). I am quite sure that Russian-speaking players spend more than $2000 a year on this game. In fact, they could just crowdsource the money needed to implement this update.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

Considering that GW2 chat already supports Korean and Traditional Chinese, it very much might be that support for Cyrillic requires only a change of font. If this is the case, the price tag on this change is about $2000 ($500-1000 for a commercial font licence and $1000 for updating dependencies). I am quite sure that Russian-speaking players spend more than $2000 a year on this game. In fact, they could just crowdsource the money needed to implement this update.

I am ready to pay the company if necessary. We are ready to raise money and pay the company the services of introducing the Cyrillic alphabet, if it comes to 1000-2000 dollars.

@Ben K.6238 said:It doesn't really support Traditional Chinese very well - there's a number of characters that don't work.

I think it might be just the ones that were loaned by Japanese as Kanji that do work. Given I don't read Japanese to any significant extent I'm not sure.

As far as I know, Japanese is not supported well: there is no font for kana (although the number of spaces corresponds to the number of kana symbols, iirc); many kanji are not rendered properly—only partial radicals instead of a proper kanji. Japanese input is also not supported (at least the one based on romanisation; I haven’t tried hiragana input, though).

@noviiparen.8163 said:I am ready to pay the company if necessary. We are ready to raise money and pay the company the services of introducing the Cyrillic alphabet, if it comes to 1000-2000 dollars.

I'd hope that's unnecessary. They should make at least that in sales (it's less than 50 copies of the game) from people who otherwise wouldn't buy GW2. I'd be rather surprised if enabling Cyrillic in chat is expensive. My only concern is that they might have policy reasons why they can't do it, though I can't think of any.