Coalescence of Ruin targeting bugged

Random.8719

@"RandomNameDude.8263" said:This skill is bugged after the recent patch. Your character now has to face the target to hit it. Before you could press the skill and face another direction while running and still hit the target.

I wonder if it’s tied to the Mesmer change on some of their mantra skills.

Umm, no if theres the tiniest bit of elevation difference it shoots into the ground or goes through the air now where as before it would at least try to track up a slight incline or decline.

Not an LOS issue.

Actually this used to be a huge problem with COR way back in the day, but they FIXED it in a previous patch ... now its broke again apparently.

It definitely used to go towards your target given you weren't turned around. If you had a target behind the way you were facing it would fail and go on cooldown. Now it ALWAYS casts where you're facing. Now you have to aim the camera just right when spiking at 1200 range, I'd prefer any change that was made here to be reverted.

I can't tell if it is culling your personal effect or its colliding with a hill. Noticed sometimes the 2nd hit isn't visible but 3rd is. Couldn't reproduce this reliably. Something is different for sure.

I'm not sure if the timing between 3 hits is slower or just confirmation bias after I read this post but it does seem slower.

@Warhawk.1038 said:It definitely used to go towards your target given you weren't turned around. If you had a target behind the way you were facing it would fail and go on cooldown. Now it ALWAYS casts where you're facing. Now you have to aim the camera just right when spiking at 1200 range, I'd prefer any change that was made here to be reverted.

I can't tell if it is culling your personal effect or its colliding with a hill. Noticed sometimes the 2nd hit isn't visible but 3rd is. Couldn't reproduce this reliably. Something is different for sure.

I'm not sure if the timing between 3 hits is slower or just confirmation bias after I read this post but it does seem slower.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was slower so in the rev section I left it open and someone else came in and said exactly that so it either is slower or there was an animation change that makes it look slower.

When trying it out to see what was going on with the aim, I was targeting a rabbit on a small mound and the 3rd cascade wasn't appearing nor hitting.

You definitely weren't able to cast it behind you even before the patch, but there are multiple problems after the patch. It's slower, some hits like to disappear (ie. hit 2/3 disappears but 1 and 3 can be seen), it can disappear into the ground on the tiniest elevations and it now goes through gates and I think even walls.

Edit: Also op is right, aiming looks wonky too

Is it bugged due to autotargetting or target switching?

It seems to have the same limitations as before, terrain-wise.

Maybe it has to connect with the target before you can change direction.

I need to further test it, but a list of things I have in mind for a test regime:

• Locations -- Hills/Bay stairways, Earth Keep stairway (unlikely to have this test case often) , Air keep choke points and ramps
  • test cases -- switch targeting after cast, no character movement or facing change no target switching, character strafing but facing same direction no target switching, slight character rotation using mouse or A/D keys no target switching , moving forward/backward , no facing change** switching targeting after cast, moving character with strafing , no facing change

@Infusion.7149 said:Is it bugged due to autotargetting or target switching?

Maybe it has to connect with the target before you can change direction.

I need to further test it, but a list of things I have in mind for a test regime:

• Locations -- Hills/Bay stairways, Earth Keep stairway (unlikely to have this test case often) , Air keep choke points and ramps
  • test cases -- switch targeting after cast, no character movement or facing change no target switching, character strafing but facing same direction no target switching, slight character rotation using mouse or A/D keys no target switching , moving forward/backward , no facing change** switching targeting after cast, moving character with strafing , no facing change

The skill shoots where your character's face is pointing regardless of having a target selected in your forward facing arc. That's the bug. It should be attempting to track the selected target.

A better explaining example would be,Try to hit a foe using rapid fire without selecting them.You would need to use your camera to sort of half ass aim it.

Not true, yes it always used to have problems with steep terrain but that's nothing compared to now. Very small elevation can eat a hit or even the whole skill, it goes through objects and it can even go across gaps in the terrain, for example allowing you to hit across a chasm.

Might want to start updating the OP's post in the Bugs sub-forum on this CoR issue for better viability regarding Anet:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89045/coalescence-of-ruin-targeting-bugged#latest

That post has only his entry and has already fallen to page 2. So it's not benefiting from further details like what's being discussed here (or in Revenant).

It seems to bug out more on desert BL than alpine due to terrain changes and more often at 900-1200 range (at the limits of its range) than at a medium 900-1000ish range.It appears that it is mostly an issue with facing. Preempting a hammer bolt auto before using COR seems to make it hit more consistently (and that removes aegis ; if you are running the post-nerf Malicious Reprisal it makes the damage far higher but due to 20 cooldown instated it is better to use Notoriety or Assassin's Presence) with respect to range and facing.Before if you didn't have a target it would just lay out the damage in a line , so I don't think that has changed. So in essence I think that the COR skill itself doesn't alter facing.

Dodging before COR hits or fully rolls out seems to nullify the skill though.

Other people I have asked actually noticed the hitting through structures more so than the buggy terrain issue. So if there was a LOS requirement then it wouldn't make sense that it hits through walls.