[Ranked] New player looking for advices on how to balance a team comp.

Ashgar.3024

Hello, so as said in the title i'm looking for some advice to help me rank up. I currently play Deadeye Thief, got up to Silver 2 within 16 ranked games played lifetime, nothing special i imagine but it led me to believe that i at least grasp the basics of the game and i'm now looking to go a bit more in-depth.

I was only recently made aware of the fact that you can character swap during the preparation phase of a game which led me to start thinking a lot more about potential team comps and what i could play to fill in when being a Thief is not actually optimal (IE there's already 2 other ones on my team or whatever).

I'm just not sure what role each professions fill and what these roles even are beyond the most obvious ones.

I imagine most teams usually want someone capable of harassing far node, which is Thieves and Mesmers.

Some sort of Support, which is usually Engis (Scrapper), Guardians (Dragonhunters?) and Necros (Scourge).

But what else? I'm currently learning a Scrapper alt to fill the support role but i'd like to have a 3rd character to round the roster, its just the way i usually roll in other games (ie in LoL i have 3 champs for 3 positions i'm comfortable with, in WoW i had 3 active characters at a time etc.)

So, basically i'd like to have a more defined vision of how you build a balanced team comp to make that decision.

Thanks a lot for your advice !

I still counterpick even at platinum. Its strange because at lower ranks people will scream and tell you to switch at double thief compositions. But at higher ranks my most brutal losses usually come from double thief enemy teams.

Its still early days with this meta thanks to the expansion. I'd say its safe to have a scourge on your team. If the enemy team only has one scourge I'd probably run spellbreaker. I have three characters on rotation, one good for 1v1s, one good for offensive team fights and one good for defensive team fights.

@kKagari.6804 said:I still counterpick even at platinum. Its strange because at lower ranks people will scream and tell you to switch at double thief compositions. But at higher ranks my most brutal losses usually come from double thief enemy teams.

Its still early days with this meta thanks to the expansion. I'd say its safe to have a scourge on your team. If the enemy team only has one scourge I'd probably run spellbreaker. I have three characters on rotation, one good for 1v1s, one good for offensive team fights and one good for defensive team fights.

I'm pretty wary of rolling something just because its the "flavor of the moment", experience with other games thought me how fast that can change, like Scourge and Spellbreakers are right now. Mostly trying to figure out things more broadly.

Been thinking of playing Revenant as my 3rd but they seem to be rare. Renegade at least on paper look really strong in team fights though. Maybe they will be more viable with the new amulets?

@kKagari.6804 said:I've been trying to make renegade work but seeing as how I'm terrible at revenant in general, I haven't been able to. I've actually asked some of the top 50 players on what they thought of renegade and most are not impressed. In my opinion it needs more work.

I see. Might try my hands myself at it. Just looking for something with strong offensive team fighting since what i play most atm is roamer Deadeye and Bunker scrapper.

If that doesn't work what would be my other options? Maybe Warrior?

Archived