DPS Meter ArcDPS

So I've heard some people talking about using ArcDPS to get DPS stats and benchmarks as they play. I just wanted to confirm that this is allowed by ArenaNet, much like how the GW2OverLay is...maybe if an Anet rep can't post about it, a reference to somewhere where they said it was okay? I don't want to get banned just for testing some stuff. :(

You're not gonna get banned. But if anything happens to your game or your character, they're not responsible. That's what I know.For example somebody was warning about (I forgot where I read this) that the Arc build template might cause some items to disappear. Don't know if this is correct. But if it does happen ArenaNet will not help with recovering of the item.

" WARNING: MODIFYING GUILD WARS 2 THROUGH ANY 3RD PARTY TOOLS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ARENANET OR NCSOFT.THERE IS NO HELP OR WARRANTY. THIS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITYFOR USING THIS TOOL. IF YOU FEEL THIS PROVIDES GAMEPLAY ADVANTAGE OR AUTOMATION, OR BREAKS ANY OTHER RULES,DO NOT USE THIS."

This is from ARCs web page,at the very top with capital red letters.According to Anet,ARC is allowed,"in it's current state".So yeah,good luck with that,if Anet decides sometime in the future that it breaks the ToS agreement,and you don't frequent these forumsin order to get the latest news,you could get a ban.

@Aenaos.8160 said:According to Anet,ARC is allowed,"in it's current state".So yeah,good luck with that,if Anet decides sometime in the future that it breaks the ToS agreement,and you don't frequent these forumsin order to get the latest news,you could get a ban.

No, that's almost certainly not the case.

If the creator of ArcDPS breaks something and ANet decides the tool is no longer compliant, then there's already precedent for what ANet will do: they'll warn people.

There used to be a competing tool that was okay for a time and then the developer pushed it in new direction. ANet warned the developer and specifically told us our accounts were not at risk, even if we were using the version at the time (which was not compliant). That version would eventually break with new patches and the developer was given the opportunity to fix the compliance issues. As it turned out, the developer chose to go another route. No users of the tool were banned (at least, not simply for use of the tool).

ArcDPS is as safe to use as any third-party tool can possibly get.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rhanoa.3960 said:This is the site forum. The gw2 official forums for that matter.

Yeah and it’s been posted on the official forums and other sites commonly used by Anet to deliver information to their players.

Also read the Sticky on this subforum about Third Party Software, it doesn’t say Combat Meters are prohibited.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:This is the site forum. The gw2 official forums for that matter.

Yeah and it’s been posted on the official forums and other sites commonly used by Anet to deliver information to their players.

Also read the Sticky on this subforum about Third Party Software, it doesn’t say Combat Meters are prohibited.

Nor does it say they are allowed.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Nor does it say they are allowed.

It doesn't have to since they fall under 3rd party program policy and are allowed as long as they conform to the User Agreement.

Spreading misinformation to scare people out of using something. Some people are pathetic.

ArcDPS is sanction and you will not be targetted for using it. Unless Anet states otherwise use it to your heart's content.

There's at least one dev working with the maker of Arc so it stays in good standing.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Well, if you routinely make posts like this one (which breaks a couple of rules, including talking about your prior infractions and referring to mods as "KGB" and "gestapo") then that could be why your posts are often infracted.

Read what you just said and tell me thats not the slightest bit peculiar.

Thats like me getting arrested for telling my friends about the time I got arrested.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Well, if you routinely make posts like this one (which breaks a couple of rules, including talking about your prior infractions and referring to mods as "KGB" and "gestapo") then that could be why your posts are often infracted.

Read what you just said and tell me thats not the slightest bit peculiar.

It's not peculiar. This is a video game forum. It has its own rules, and you agreed to those rules when you activated your account on here. The only peculiar thing I see is your weird attempts to make any moderation come off as Orwellian. Regardless, we're way off topic now, so back to the topic at hand:

Arc is fine to use. Just keep up on any changes.

ArcDPS is perfectly fine and legal to use according to the EULA, unless they change it in the future it will remain so.Also, when there is a change to the EULA, there is a pop-up when you first login asking you to re-accept it in order to play.So don't worry there is no way to "miss" it. If you see an EULA change, you can go to paragraph 7 to see if anything changed, it will be written there.

Yes of course, they will suddenly decide this particular meter is no longer okey and instantly ban thousands of paying customers without even a warning...

@Elarionus.3246 said:So I've heard some people talking about using ArcDPS to get DPS stats and benchmarks as they play. I just wanted to confirm that this is allowed by ArenaNet, much like how the GW2OverLay is...maybe if an Anet rep can't post about it, a reference to somewhere where they said it was okay? I don't want to get banned just for testing some stuff. :(

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Some people simply love to act like lawyers whenever this topic comes up. Most likely due to their personal dislike of such tools.

ArenaNet is running a business here. No company would openly promote the use of 3rd party tools or offer support for the issues caused by these tools and they sure as hell would not do so in their User Agreement Policy. Why would they give us any ground to hold them responsible for problems, why would they ever decide to spend their own resources on the customer support for a tool they do not own. Come on.It has been mentioned by ArenaNet directly that the use of ArcDPS is allowed while still closely monitored by the developers, however. You will not get banned, none of the ArcDPS users have been banned, not even those I know who used the TOS breaking version of BDGM have ever been punished for it. They obviously have little desire to go on a witch hunt against their paying customers. Meaning that you'd most likely be fine even if they ever decided to forbid the use of ArcDPS.

Archived