Jump to content
  • Sign Up

(video) Build templates, and why the design is horrible in it's current state.


Recommended Posts

Disclaimer: i didn't make this video, i stumbled on it on youtube, so full credit goes to Daelin Dwin and the people who helped him make the video.

The point's raised are on point, and quite honestly, it only angers me even more that arenanet didnt simply copy the arcDPS templates, since they were quite litterally perfect the way they were.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halfway through he complains about six slots for nine professions while mousing over the character build tabs. I may be misremembering, but aren't those character specific? So it's six slots for -one- profession, individualized per character that has them unlocked. The left hand side is overall builds that can be shared, and 24 there does seem limiting if you want to keep swapping out the ones you have individually saved from a vast library of builds (I don't, myself, but I can see there are those that like to change builds every ten feet). But I think he's wrong on that particular bit so I can't say the points are all on point here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlimited build templates like GW1 that players can store on their own PC’S along with a paid version that stores build templates on Anet’s servers would have been great. I would have gladly paid 2,000 gems to store (at least 100 builds) on Anet’s servers.

The coming set up, though, is atrocious. Very limited number of build slots, and most likely several hundred gems to unlock only ONE build slot for only ONE character. It seems like Anet’s focus was not on how to create the ideal build templates, but on how to milk players’ money with as little effort as possible. I’m not spending any gems on this.

Only bright side, for me, is that since majority of my characters don’t do PvP or WvW, these characters can use these 2 spare slots for PVE builds, so it’s 2 more than what is officially available right now...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Donari.5237 said:Halfway through he complains about six slots for nine professions while mousing over the character build tabs. I may be misremembering, but aren't those character specific? So it's six slots for -one- profession, individualized per character that has them unlocked. The left hand side is overall builds that can be shared, and 24 there does seem limiting if you want to keep swapping out the ones you have individually saved from a vast library of builds (I don't, myself, but I can see there are those that like to change builds every ten feet). But I think he's wrong on that particular bit so I can't say the points are all on point here.

6 slots aren't enough.

I have on necromancerpdps reapercdps scourgeheal scourge

for raids and for wvw(the builds are different).. thats 6 builds there, and now I have no space for pvp builds.....

and mesmer mains have far more builds

I happen to have these on different characters so it doesn't bother me....but I understand why people who have been using arc are frustrated with the coming builds. They'll have to pay over a couple hundred dollars, to have less than they got from arc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BlueJin.4127 said:Unlimited build templates like GW1 that players can store on their own PC’S along with a paid version that stores build templates on Anet’s servers would have been great. I would have gladly paid 2,000 gems to store 100 total builds on Anet’s servers.

The coming set up, though, is atrocious in so many ways. I don’t see myself ever spending any gems for this.

Only bright side for me, is that since majority of my characters don’t do PvP or WvW, these characters can use these 2 spare slots for PVE builds, so it’s 2 more than what is officially available right now...

You would have paid 2000 gems to store 100 chat codes- are you crazy?

Edit: @Taygus- you might as well delete those scourge builds since the shade nerf has given scourge a hefty kick in the balls. I haven't played mine since the patch, and will probably revert to reaper unless my raid static can tolerate the stupid shade mechanic update.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wakani.1829 said:Disclaimer: i didn't make this video, i stumbled on it on youtube, so full credit goes to Daelin Dwin and the people who helped him make the video.

This is so true! Exactly the points people criticize. And the part about the devaluation of legendary gear... oh yes, spot on (I, for once, will not go for another set of legendary armor, because it's become pointless with this new gear template system; I wish I hadn't wasted so much gold on now mostly useless legendary upgrades).

The point's raised are on point, and quite honestly, it only angers me even more that arenanet didnt simply copy the arcDPS templates, since they were quite litterally perfect the way they were.

I had hoped for such a system as well, were things get simply swapped in your inventory. It makes no sense to have the stuff now lingering in limbus; we have enough inventory space by now, plus people who really profit from it, because they have tons of equipment and builds, won't be able to use the system properly anyway, because they will have to pay up for it and might not be satisfied with the 6-tabs limit.

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:Seems I'll still use Arcdps.

If that will still be possible, I am now considering installing ArcDPS, to be honest, after seeing that it can switch gear as well. :+1:

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Wakani.1829 said:Disclaimer: i didn't make this video, i stumbled on it on youtube, so full credit goes to Daelin Dwin and the people who helped him make the video.

This is so true! Exactly the points people criticize. And the part about the devaluation of legendary gear... oh yes, spot on (I, for once, will not go for another set of legendary armor, because it's become pointless with this new gear template system; I wish I hadn't wasted so much gold on now mostly useless legendary upgrades).

The point's raised are on point, and quite honestly, it only angers me even more that arenanet didnt simply copy the arcDPS templates, since they were quite litterally perfect the way they were.

I had hoped for such a system as well, were things get simply swapped in your inventory. It makes no sense to have the stuff now lingering in limbus; we have enough inventory space by now, plus people who really profit from it, because they have tons of equipment and builds, won't be able to use the system properly anyway, because they will have to pay up for it
and
might not be satisfied with the 6-tabs limit.

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:Seems I'll still use Arcdps.

If that will still be possible, I am now considering installing ArcDPS, to be honest, after seeing that it can switch gear as well. :+1:

Arcdps will no longer work unfortunately

Link to post
Share on other sites

@style.6173 said:It is definitely odd that ANET worked on this for so long and still ended up with a design that is less efficient than arcdps or gw1.

Well, they did work on it shorter than delta did. No matter what they were saying for the first 5 years of the game, the stream made it clear that the actual work started less than 2 years ago, and only after delta released his arc templates. We also don;t know how many people were working on it, and whether they were also working on other stuff in that time.

@Funky.4861 said:You would have paid 2000 gems to store 100 chat codes- are you crazy?Still way better than pay 25k gems to make the current system working at lower-than-that capacity for 9 classes...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Wakani.1829" said:Disclaimer: i didn't make this video, i stumbled on it on youtube, so full credit goes to Daelin Dwin and the people who helped him make the video.

The point's raised are on point, and quite honestly, it only angers me even more that arenanet didnt simply copy the arcDPS templates, since they were quite litterally perfect the way they were.

Maybe it is just me, but, if you (not you specifically) are going to make a video giving your opinion on something, basically bashing it, then it might be a good idea to educate yourself on it, at the very least have your facts straight, before you come out looking like an idiot, which the maker of this video did to perfection, the idiot part that is. =)

It is quite obvious that the maker of this video does not have a clue how Build Templates work but he thinks that it is ok to make this video and give his opinion on it, and he totally expects everyone to take his word for how bad it is. The only bad thing that I saw was his opinion. =)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Agrotera.1254 said:It is quite obvious that the maker of this video does not have a clue how Build Templates work but he thinks that it is ok to make this video and give his opinion on it, and he totally expects everyone to take his word for how bad it is. The only bad thing that I saw was his opinion. =)

why don't you humor us all, by ejucating us on what he got wrong then? - otherwise what you just said, is nothing more than white-knighting for Arenanet in yet another massive blunder on their part.

Regardless of how you look at it, when you compare what ArcDPS templates can currently do, and has been able to do for years now - to ArenaNet's Long under way templates, it's night and day, and not in favor of the ArenaNet version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like you are renting a house. ($60 for GW2 at release, $50 expansion at release, both now free, costs for expansions since)A couple of months in you think, man I could use some air conditioning. So you ask the landlord and they say "Fine. There's ducting there and the set up but you'll have to remove your system when I install my version."OK! you say and talk to your friend who hooks up the system for free and off you go! It's temperamental and your friend keeps tinkering but it has heaps of controls, settings, flexibility and works well most of the time.Seven years later your landlord says "I'm installing a new AC system. It doesn't have nearly as many of the options, fewer controls and less flexibility. You'll have to pay for additional features to. "And you say "Bye."

The code for the build template system was already there from GW1, none of the other games I've played have charged "Extra" for a build/gear template system even when introduced later, other build systems have been as good, if not better for being provided by the game developer.

So for me Anet has shown how moneytisingly hungry they have become.

Before you mention it. GW2 does not need to make money to continue to be in business. As long as the balance sheet balances, they are good to go. New features don't even need new money, just move the focus of features around on the schedule. Clear plans, forecasts and asset allocation are essential for good work practice, but I shouldn't have to remind them of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nick.5276 said:Before you mention it. GW2 does not need to make money to continue to be in business. As long as the balance sheet balances, they are good to go.Yeah, I'm sure everyone that work for a living have that sentiment too. I mean if your living costs are $1000 a month yet you earn $2000 a month, whats the even the point of the extra cash? Ask your employer to reduce your salary to $1000. No need for good money to go to waste.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Its meant to do a task while also making money to keep the game running. Why are you all tripping on this?

Because, the system back in the Original GuildWars (feature is 13+ years old), was better than what ArenaNet wants us to pay top dollar for now.Because, the system that gw2 players have had access to since Heart of Thorns, is better in every single way compared to what ArenaNet wants us to pay top dollar for now.

nobody asked for a 3layer monetization cake, we asked for build TEMPLATES. as they were in guildwars, without limitations like they are now imposing.

GuildWars - 550 free slots for builds, stored on your own PC.Guildwars2 - 24 slots max, 3 for free, 3 more IF you're around in the first month bringing it to 6, anything after that is money money money.

ArcDPS templates - can swap gear, legendary stats (correct me if im wrong), can hold as many builds as you want - free of charge.ArenaNets new money cow - maximum of 6 GEAR templates per character (you gotta pay PER character aswell, Not Accountwide , Maximum of 24 Build templates, makes a joke out of legendary gear - and by definition, those who spent the time obtaining that legendary gear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides what others already said, you get some free slots and only have to pay for extra slots. It's the same with bag or character slots, and as far as I remember, there weren't many complaints about having to pay for extra slots there. If there have been any at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...