Why does Longbow get used

Sansar.1302

@bigo.9037 said:

@bigo.9037 said:Here's the reason ppl do LB im wvw : LB#4 triggers quickness sigil which gives 5 s of quickness followed by RF without using utilities. Axe is better melee, but it cant kite at all. LB stealth has lower CD than smokescale blast with WH. So with LB you have 2 sources of stealth vs 1, which is important for 1v1/1vX.

Also, Lb is easier to land dmg with at safer distances. Axe is 900 range, lb is 1500. Secondly, if you run double axe, axe #5 is too easy to avoid.

NO axe mainhand is WAY better 1v1 AND 1vX, LB in a 1v1 any decent person is would punish you, and axe kite very well with 5 target chill. (if traited)Wh offhand 4 more boons and healing, axe off hand is ok-ishStealth on ranger is very situational and often not the best play as ranger have low dmg output so you need to do constant dps to kill or cleave downs (esp more sustain oriented build)id say make lb 1200 range so ppl stop crying then buff all dmg exept auto 30 -50% Remove hunter shot as it fails too mutch and cant be relied on. (Ranger used to not have stealth at all )

Wrong. You can't kite 5 people with aoe chill as well as you can with stealth. Condi clears, teleports, leaps, jumps. You name it. Stealth only has 1 counter and that is reveal. Thus stealth is more versatile. It allows you to relocate and then get the first shot. Only way axe wins a 1v1 if the fighting area is small. If not, the fight will stall. ( Both usually have enough sustain to not die. )

Also, LB RF hits harder than axe #3. They have the same cooldown. Axe doesn't proc quick quickness sigil..Axe #2 deals nearly no dmg unless you are literally in melee range.

I cant see any good with lb it is only a +1 weapon ( best used when adding )

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sansar.1302 said:

@bigo.9037 said:Here's the reason ppl do LB im wvw : LB#4 triggers quickness sigil which gives 5 s of quickness followed by RF without using utilities. Axe is better melee, but it cant kite at all. LB stealth has lower CD than smokescale blast with WH. So with LB you have 2 sources of stealth vs 1, which is important for 1v1/1vX.

Also, Lb is easier to land dmg with at safer distances. Axe is 900 range, lb is 1500. Secondly, if you run double axe, axe #5 is too easy to avoid.

NO axe mainhand is WAY better 1v1 AND 1vX, LB in a 1v1 any decent person is would punish you, and axe kite very well with 5 target chill. (if traited)Wh offhand 4 more boons and healing, axe off hand is ok-ishStealth on ranger is very situational and often not the best play as ranger have low dmg output so you need to do constant dps to kill or cleave downs (esp more sustain oriented build)id say make lb 1200 range so ppl stop crying then buff all dmg exept auto 30 -50% Remove hunter shot as it fails too mutch and cant be relied on. (Ranger used to not have stealth at all )

Wrong. You can't kite 5 people with aoe chill as well as you can with stealth. Condi clears, teleports, leaps, jumps. You name it. Stealth only has 1 counter and that is reveal. Thus stealth is more versatile. It allows you to relocate and then get the first shot. Only way axe wins a 1v1 if the fighting area is small. If not, the fight will stall. ( Both usually have enough sustain to not die. )

Also, LB RF hits harder than axe #3. They have the same cooldown. Axe doesn't proc quick quickness sigil..Axe #2 deals nearly no dmg unless you are literally in melee range.

Then you probably just don't know how to play it right. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know how to use sword or offhand dagger either.

@bigo.9037 said:

Then you probably just don't know how to play it right. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know how to use sword or offhand dagger either.

Yes cant get it to work as good as other weapons (ofc with so many non pvp players I get to "work" to a degree, but never against any of the skilled roamers ) but when I almost always kan kill 2 rangers (or SB) IF they use lb I realized that its bad and stopped using it. ( salvaged all my accended longbows :( )

@Sansar.1302 said:

Yes cant get it to work as good as other weapons (ofc with so many non pvp players I get to "work" to a degree, but never against any of the skilled roamers ) but when I almost always kan kill 2 rangers (or SB) IF they use lb I realized that its bad and stopped using it. ( salvaged all my accended longbows :( )

A lot of rangers are really bad. What you're describing is EXACTLY why most rangers are worse players than most other classes.

Everyone fights the newbie ranger players, thus think rangers are bad. This myth is then perpetuated by others, making the newbie ranger players think they have to swap class cus ranger is bad.

They swap class, forget ranger exist, and after playing for 2-3 years, they are finally good on their new class. Then they see newbie ranger in wvw, kill them ( cus they are new to game ) and the myth lives on forever.

That's why i, who can 1v1 and win against like 99% of enemy wvw server and win on first try, still get chased down by necros 1v1 even tho necros are weak in 1v1 cus they rely on support.

Soulbeast is not weak, and neither is longbow. Axe isn't necessarily weak, but it objectively speaking deals less dmg unless you're fighting in melee range.

• 1 month later...

Bow is still viable. The idea of ranger using a bow is to do as much damage to the target, before the target gets up in your face hand to hand. Once the enemy has crossed the distance will a ranger switch to up close hand to hand weapons. Do damage at range, enemy gets to close quarters, switch to close quarters weaponry. Originally SEVEN YEARS AGO...it was a viable method of punishing the enemy for closing the distance to hit a ranger. With today's permaboons...it's effectively useless, with perma reflects, perma shields, perma regen every second.....I fricken hate boons. Think it's really messed up viable combat.

@bigo.9037 said:

I agree with Sansar, Longbow is a +1 weapon and a noob finisher. That weapon is trash tier against 1v1 or 1vX if the other players know what are they doing. Based in your experience which should be mainly in WvW where there most roamers are pretty bad I understand where you come from still doesn't make you right.

@anduriell.6280 said:

I agree with Sansar, Longbow is a +1 weapon and a noob finisher. That weapon is trash tier against 1v1 or 1vX if the other players know what are they doing. Based in your experience which should be mainly in WvW where there most roamers are pretty bad I understand where you come from still doesn't make you right.

No, longbow is bad in spvp because of limited space and node fighting.

Obviously, when you have to fight in a very small space and fighting outside of that space is bad, longbow doesn't work.

I don't use longbow in spvp either, I use axe. Also, axe offhand seems to do significantly more dmg in spvp than it does in wvw.

But in wvw, when there's a lot more space to kite and fight, longbow is just better. Axe #5 is merely a noob killer, as people with half a brain don't run into a soulbeast on axe without having a stun breaker or condi cleanse ready. Freedom of movement renders axe offhand nearly useless.