Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

You can use PingPlotter (or similar) to find where connection issues lay.

You can try the many, many tips/workarounds/etc. found in the Dev-posted thread, https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/20771-storyline-disconnects-merged/?do=getNewComment

with the issue.  I suggest starting at the end of the thread and working back.

Good luck. 

Thanks. Looks like the last dev response in there was almost exactly 3 years ago. Do you know whether they have made any mention of it since? As some have noted in the thread, it does seem odd that the disconnects happen during cutscenes. Like the client is deciding the player is inactive and closes the connection while the game is still running.

Following links relating to changing the port the game connects on, I see there are ways to turn on logging. I wonder if that might shed additional light.

Still going through the 20+ pages of the thread, but at least I know this is far from an isolated problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RippyToucan.2083 said:

If you use Windows 10 , you have to disable windows virus protection or this game will disconnect you from story missions. This completely fixed my disconnect issues.

The bad part is windows 10 will only let you disable it temporarily, so you have to check it every few days to make sure it stays disabled.

Even if this seemed to work for you, I would caution that leaving your computer security turned off is not usually the best plan.

I have been on Win10 for years now and have only had the cutscene disconnect problem for a couple of weeks now. this is not to say Microsoft couldn't have changed something in the virus protection that would affect the game, but I'd need to see more information about what is happening before reaching that conclusion.

I am still going through this long thread, hoping there is some manner of logging I can use to get that information. Whether through the client itself or through connectivity tests. Either way, it does seem to be connected to cutscenes for the most part. Have the devs said anything more on this in the past 3 years?

I cannot describe how frustrating this is. It happens to me a lot - unless I'm in a party with someone (who is either in the instance or just out in the world) I get booted. The other day I got so frustrated trying to complete LWS2 achievements that I 'leeched' a Silverwastes Squad, hoping no one would notice I wasn't in map and participating, just so I would be 'partied up' and the game wouldn't forget I was online mid-instance. They did notice, before I finished an instance, and of course - it booted me out and I lost credit for the achievement I'd worked for an hour. How is this fair to people who have to play solo 90% of the time??

Just now - I literally spent 45mins trying to complete LWS2 Seeds of Truth - No Refuge with the Challenge Mote, finally beat the boss without dying and I get to the Wynne/Faolin conversation at the end and it boots me out. Again. Came on here to vent (as this has happened to me for years) - to find that this thread is 22 pages and has been unresolved for years. 

What's more frustrating - I'm not brilliant at the game, so I have to work hard for some of these achievements. I have limited play-time as I'm a mum to two kids under 3. I shouldn't get excited after finally doing something I was finding incredibly difficult to then be left heartbroken less than a minute later when I can tell the instance has stalled and is about to boot me out of the game again, wishing I wasn't playing alone.

It really really really sucks.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lindydrew.9382 said:

I cannot describe how frustrating this is. It happens to me a lot - unless I'm in a party with someone (who is either in the instance or just out in the world) I get booted. The other day I got so frustrated trying to complete LWS2 achievements that I 'leeched' a Silverwastes Squad, hoping no one would notice I wasn't in map and participating, just so I would be 'partied up' and the game wouldn't forget I was online mid-instance. They did notice, before I finished an instance, and of course - it booted me out and I lost credit for the achievement I'd worked for an hour. How is this fair to people who have to play solo 90% of the time??

Just now - I literally spent 45mins trying to complete LWS2 Seeds of Truth - No Refuge with the Challenge Mote, finally beat the boss without dying and I get to the Wynne/Faolin conversation at the end and it boots me out. Again. Came on here to vent (as this has happened to me for years) - to find that this thread is 22 pages and has been unresolved for years. 

What's more frustrating - I'm not brilliant at the game, so I have to work hard for some of these achievements. I have limited play-time as I'm a mum to two kids under 3. I shouldn't get excited after finally doing something I was finding incredibly difficult to then be left heartbroken less than a minute later when I can tell the instance has stalled and is about to boot me out of the game again, wishing I wasn't playing alone.

It really really really sucks.

Have you tried any of the many, many tips/workarounds found in this thread?

There's a lot to choose from, and one (or more) may offer some relief.

Good luck. 

I have in the past and am currently trying anything new, but it is genuinely not the point.

It is a bug - poor coding - not player error, not my system, not my internet connection (the only things I should really have to manage btw). I shouldn't have to be doing things like using a VPN (which is probably not very inline with the T&Cs anyway) and messing around with switching my virus protection off to play a video game that has had this problem for its entire existence, the best part of a decade now.

Again, how is it fair that I have to spend 30 mins to an hour researching rubbish like this when I have little time to play the game in the first place?

What is the point in a thread like this if it can get to 22 pages in length and be totally ignored?

• Like 3

I have fought the last battle with Ryland 3 times now.  I get to hear how his mother loathes him every time and then crash, every time.  I can't get past this.  It's the end of the damned thing but I can't get past it.

Also, I 100% agree with Lindydrew, this isn't OUR responsibility to try and work around with tips and tricks.  This is a broken game.  I don't even approach caring if it doesn't effect everyone.  Bugs rarely do.  It's still a bug that has existed forever and NEEDS to be fixed.  This has been a problem for ages.  It's unconditionally frustrating and puts a sour taste in my mouth for one.  My experience with this is ALWAYS right after an incredibly long, BORING, fight that gains absolutely nothing by being so drawn out.  It's one mechanic played over and over until I eventually whittle him down enough.  I've done it too much to care enough to actually put effort into it.  It takes longer, but it wasn't fun the first time, why should I try when I literally can't lose.  Why does this even have to exist?

Edited by Kal Spiro.9745
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Not totally ignored, as the Dev post(s) indicate.

Since it does not affect all players, and can not be reliably reproduced in QA, it seems there is not a 'one fix fits all' solution.

Your choice to try some of the tips...or wait for said solution.

Good luck. 

I may have missed some dev posts in among all the pages? The last ones I see are from 3 years ago by someone I don't think is with the studio anymore. So, maybe not completely ignored, but the only light I see at the moment may be filtering through the rug we're under. 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kal Spiro.9745 said:

I have fought the last battle with Ryland 3 times now.  I get to hear how his mother loathes him every time and then crash, every time.  I can't get past this.  It's the end of the damned thing but I can't get past it.

Also, I 100% agree with Lindydrew, this isn't OUR responsibility to try and work around with tips and tricks.  This is a broken game.  I don't even approach caring if it doesn't effect everyone.  Bugs rarely do.  It's still a bug that has existed forever and NEEDS to be fixed.  This has been a problem for ages.  It's unconditionally frustrating and puts a sour taste in my mouth for one.  My experience with this is ALWAYS right after an incredibly long, BORING, fight that gains absolutely nothing by being so drawn out.  It's one mechanic played over and over until I eventually whittle him down enough.  I've done it too much to care enough to actually put effort into it.  It takes longer, but it wasn't fun the first time, why should I try when I literally can't lose.  Why does this even have to exist?

Since it dont happen to everyone maybe its something in your system, hardware like crappy router for example or the connection your isp take bettwen your house and anet servers.

So it cant be anyone else then you who can figure out the problem mate.

Try the fixes others have found ot work for them in this 22 page long thread and maybe you stumble upon what works for you aswell.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Since it dont happen to everyone maybe its something in your system, hardware like crappy router for example or the connection your isp take bettwen your house and anet servers.

So it cant be anyone else then you who can figure out the problem mate.

Try the fixes others have found ot work for them in this 22 page long thread and maybe you stumble upon what works for you aswell.

Cool story bro, except it's not just me, and no it's not crappy equipment when this is the only instance of this kind of nonsense happening, in this game, exclusively and consistently.  So no, try again.

22 PAGES, how are you even trying, "It's just you?"

There is a reason they put the MERGED thread in Bugs.  This is a Bug.  So also no, I'm not going to do a damned thing.  The closest to putting any effort into this on my side that I have done is updating my graphics driver for something else entirely and then giving it another try just in case.  Didn't help.  This is Anet's fault, this is Anet's problem.  They need to fix it, and have needed to fix it for years and they are well aware of that fact.

Edited by Kal Spiro.9745
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Kal Spiro.9745 said:

Cool story bro, except it's not just me, and no it's not crappy equipment when this is the only instance of this kind of nonsense happening, in this game, exclusively and consistently.  So no, try again.

22 PAGES, how are you even trying, "It's just you?"

There is a reason they put the MERGED thread in Bugs.  This is a Bug.  So also no, I'm not going to do a damned thing.  The closest to putting any effort into this on my side that I have done is updating my graphics driver for something else entirely and then giving it another try just in case.  Didn't help.  This is Anet's fault, this is Anet's problem.  They need to fix it, and have needed to fix it for years and they are well aware of that fact.

Well good luck with that mate hope it just solves it self sometime in the future.

Anet dont control all the stuff that could be at fault just saying, since people have trouble with other instances not just this one you have trouble with.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well good luck with that mate hope it just solves it self sometime in the future.

Anet dont control all the stuff that could be at fault just saying, since people have trouble with other instances not just this one you have trouble with.

There's no difference between this and any other time this has happened.  First fight with Balthazar, the Fight with Almorra, the fight with Ryland.  In every case it was a crash for no apparent reason right after while waiting for the game to finish doing whatever.  In every previous case ANet made changes that ultimately fixed it.  So no, I'm not waiting for it to fix itself.  I'm posting in the Bug forum about a Bug that I expect THEM to fix for me.

• Like 1

Just adding another story here.

Trying to finish the mission 'Frozen Out', after fighting the Ice Beast during the convo between Braham and Rox i get booted out. It seems to happen during conversations, 

For people saying that it may be hardware, location, router, ... I've literally moved locations, changed PC, router and internet provider. These changes were unrelated to GW2 as they were normal events that caused these changes to happen. But i'm pretty sure this is 100% on Anet's side.

I love this game, this isn't going to cause me to quit playing. Regardless it's immensely frustrating when i have to replay the same mission 3-5 times just because a bug in the game is kicking me out. This is even worse when i'm trying to get an achievement. 

Another instance of this happening,

Killed Balthazar in the 'To kill a god mission'. got disconnected after the cinematic. This bug goes all the way back to 2017. 

The 'i can't reproduce it' argument doesn't really hold up after 4 years lol. I love this game but it's honestly ridiculous that a showstopping bug has been in the game for 4 years even after this amount of people report it. 

• Like 1

Frozen Out still kicks you out of the game after Brahm finishes his dialogue. One would think you would have fixed this issue by now for the rerelease.

Edit: 20 minutes of killing frustrating enemies, one lackluster bossfight and lots of Norn-whining later...the game kicks me out again, just before the cinematic should start...

Edited by lokh.2695

Im having same problem with Frozen out after Boss fight , when Braham gets done whining  Ii get a server DC error. I have done this 3 times in a row now and it happens every time.

UPDATE

I did figure out a work around the DCs , at end of boss fight  I ran around in circles spamming skill 1 till dialouge  was over and it kept me from getting booted out.

Edited by troy.3257

I have also had this same issue many times - random disconnects at the very end of certain story instances, after all the fighting is done and only dialogue or cutscenes are left.  I don't disconnect in any other circumstances, only those.  Frozen Out, Hearts and Minds, etc.  The usual suspects that are mentioned above.  Most recently, I have disconnected 8 times in the last 24 hours while playing Heart of the Volcano (LWS3).  I finish all the fighting, then the dialogue with Taimi, then the cutscene, and when the cutscene ends and nothing more is left other than more lengthy dialogue with Taimi, I get disconnected.  8 times.  When I reconnect, I get no credit for having completed the instance and have to restart and play through it all again.  The problem is widespread enough that Anet surely knows about it.  If they can't fix it, at the very least they can give credit for completing the story instance once all the fighting is done.  Listening to painfully long dialogue that most of us have already heard many times should not be a reason to make us replay the entire episode yet again.  Anet please fix.

Edited by monte cristo.1349
tried again and got disconnected again. updated.
  • Like 1

Originally posted yesterday (27 June 2021). Reposting here as I didn't realize there was already such a LONG thread on this topic:

This has been an problem ever since I started playing GW2. The game has an irritating habit of disconnecting during story steps. It always has. I have tolerated this because I like the game overall. But during this "Living World Return" event, it has come back to haunt me. I've had several story disconnects during this event. Each one requires starting the story step again from the start. Tonight I was attempting to finish the last chapter of 'Head of the Snake' (Confessor's End) and the story disconnected 3 times. Not at the start... no, that would be too easy.

- On the first play-through, it happened immediately after the cut-scene after the fight with Caudecus in his library.

- On the second play-though, it happened a little later in the first circular room below the manor.

- On my third play-through, the story disconnected in the second circular room.

I'm not one for rage quiting... but tonight I'll confess that I ground my teeth together, firmly turned the game off and opened up Disney+ to enjoy some random wholesome entertainment. Ah thank goodness for "Let it go!" it dissipated my urge to throw my computer out of the window.

Disconnects during story steps has been a problem for many years. I've lost count of how many story steps I've had to replay because of 'technical issues'. No, there's nothing wrong with my internet connection. No, there's nothing wrong with my PC. This is literally the only thing that messes-up. Please... if you're going to encourage your entire customer- base to replay story steps... please fix this!

Update: Tried to finish the same story step again tonight. It disconnected immediately after the cut-scene in the library... again. The definition of madness is trying to do the same thing again, and again, and again. But... how else am I supposed to get the "Seasons of the Dragons" achievement done. <sigh>

Edited by Rockhound.9605