Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

On 7/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, Stormcrow.7513 said:

This issue has been around for years....years.

I am done troubleshooting for Anet. 

GW1 had a rejoin instance when clients disconnected...this isn't any new technology. 

I can't progress characters through the story. I have tried countless fixes and it seems to be pretty random. I am at my wits end. 

A sad sad shame that I wanted to take a legacy character from GW1 through to Cantha and yet can't. 

An anticlimactic end to almost  twenty years of supporting this franchise...off to things that function. 

I want to be able to say something hopeful that would convince you to stick around, but given that ANet hasn't even acknowledged this issue publicly in years...yeah. My small group was able to power through by rerunning instances multiple times, but it was certainly annoying every time one of us disconnected.

All I can say for now is good luck and I hope you can return if and when this problem is addressed.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, xFaTaLLiMiTx.1548 said:

Ok, an update from myself, to myself, and any others still with this issue. The disconnects seemed to have finally stopped. I was in contact with the support team, and after supplying them with various information and files (hijackthis log file, ISP details, connection method etc). They recommended the following to me:

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Let's start by preventing programs from automatically starting with Windows, then repairing some Winsock entries. To do this:

1. Press and hold the Windows key and then hit the R key. This should bring up the Run dialog box.
  2. Type ""MSCONFIG"" without the quotes, and click ""OK."" This should open the System Configuration Utility.
  3. Click on the ""Services"" tab and check the ""Hide All Microsoft Services"" check box near the bottom, then click the ""Disable All"" button. (You MUST click ""Hide all Microsoft Services"")\
  4. Click the ""Startup"" tab. Click ""Open Task Manager.""

A list will be generated of all the applications you have set to start when Windows first boots up. Right-click on these applications one by one and select ""Disable."" Once completed, click ""Ok"" to save your changes. You will then be prompted to reboot your PC. Once you return to Windows, try connecting again.

Once you return to Windows, use the following instructions to clean up Winsock entries:

1. Click the ""Start"" button to bring up the Start Menu.
  2. Type in CMD into the ""Search programs and files"" field but do not hit enter. Doing this will change your start menu to show the program ""cmd.exe.""
  3. Right-click on ""cmd.exe"" and select ""Run as Administrator.""
  4. Type ""netsh winsock show catalog >C:\LSP.txt"" without the quotes. This will save a file to the root of your C drive called LSP.txt. Please attach that file to this ticket. (We would like this report even if the issue is resolved)
  5. Once complete, type ""netsh winsock reset"" without the quotes. When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears, followed by a new command prompt line.

Once completed, please try running again by ""right-clicking"" on "".exe"" and selecting ""Run as Administrator.""

Obviously, this was specific to my problem after I supplied them with the requested information, so there is no guarantee it will work for others, however, I have since managed to play for around 5-6 hours, from the opening of PoF to the introduction of the 3rd map for that expansion, without any disconnects during story or regular gameplay. I hope this info will help others enjoy the game 🙂

Final note, obviously leave out the LSP.txt step as you wont need to do that, since it was a request from the support team for me.

Thank you so much! this worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally I have completed my personal story! I have never been able to get to the 'defeating zhaitan' part before and since I followed these steps i have completed the story and am hopeful that I can carry on playing.

🙂 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 3 disconnects now at the end of 'Frozen Out' (LS3) now.

The instance is long and tedious...

What is going on here?

Disconnects on its own aren't an issue of your progress is saved, but you have to run the entire 20+ min thing again...

Very frustrating , one more and I'll uninstall.

(no, my net is solid, cabled 'S-tier' connection in the Netherlands)

• Haha 1

I have a friend that was having constant story disconnects when it cut to cinematics as well. He went to the ISP, to Anet, collected all the logs possible, checked cabling, etc. Everything.

What ultimately fixed it was he did a total hardware overhaul on his network gear (modem and router). I know that's not feasible for everyone, nor should it even be "the fix", but it 100% worked in this case. Since the new setup has been installed he hasn't had a single story drop (or any for that matter). It's been a solid 3-4 months now, and his other games experience less jitter.

It's worth noting that his old modem had an Intel Puma 6 chip in it. <-- Very important! This chip was in several dozens of modems, is known to have major defects in latency/lag spikes/stability issues to the point there's even a lawsuit about it. I had no idea about this until I began helping him troubleshoot his network and actively searched for known defects in the models of his hardware.

Since all the diagnostics and logs across the wide spectrum of hardware configs keep coming up empty, a faulty modem chip seems like it could be the shared underlying element causing all these issues. It's worth checking at least to rule it out right?  Feel free to search for "Intel Puma 6" and you will find plenty of info and a list of models affected.

Would be interesting to see if everyone else having these issues also have Intel Puma 6 chips in their modems as well. I hope this helps.

I keep DC'ing after Balthazar downs me the final time after getting him down to 10% health and can't finish the quest.  Apparently, this has been an issue for some since 2017.  I have tried a number of possible "fixes" that were suggested online, including repairing the client, reducing graphics, limiting fps to 30, quitting and restarting the story quest.  One thing I have not been able to try is using the 32-bit client instead of 64-bit, which fixed it for some people, however, there doesn't appear to be a way to run the 32-bit client in 2022 (if I am mistaken, please let me know).  Another possible issue is that I am a minion necromancer build and haven't tried the quest using a non-minion build.  Any suggestions would be appreciated since I typically like to be able to play the games that I purchase.

I was able to stop the disconnects during the storyline quests by deleting the cache and local.dat files (as suggested on the ArenaNet trouble shooting site) and running the game while using a VPN.  I'm not sure which of the above fixed the issue (1, 2 or all 3 of the above).  It didn't appear to have anything to do with graphics settings or using minions as others have suggested previously, at least in my case.  In addition, I didn't need to jump around wildly during the dialog cutscenes, etc.  Hopefully this may help others with a similar issue.

I have been away for a couple of years and have rejoined the game creating a new character, I am having a lot of issues doing the personal quests, I am having to do them multiple times due a failure and disconnect after completing the quests, some quests I have has to do 4 times to get it to complete.

I played this game at launch for a few years and never had this problem before having played 8 8 characters previously.

The game is not an issue during normal game play, I only have this problem doing the personal story line

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Throughout the main stoyline quests, after a certain progressions I get a dc with an error saying to connect back again. So far same happens in Living World Season 1 in Sky Pirates and Clockwork Chaos and at Heart of Thorns - 7.Prized Possesions.  Funny how I purchased the game today and these bugs have been an occuring phenomenon. Any advice or way to fix? 

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, For Real.8216 said:

Throughout the main stoyline quests, after a certain progressions I get a dc with an error saying to connect back again. So far same happens in Living World Season 1 in Sky Pirates and Clockwork Chaos and at Heart of Thorns - 7.Prized Possesions.  Funny how I purchased the game today and these bugs have been an occuring phenomenon. Any advice or way to fix? 

This bug has been around for a long, long time and the developers will not or cannot fix it.  The bug does not affect everyone, but if you have it, there is no fix for it.  Might as well move on to a different game.  Sorry to give the bad news, but better now than spending hours and hours attempting to work around it and ultimately failing.   Like I did.

I check back here every once in a while to see if there is an announcement that the developers have fixed this.  Still waiting. 

By the way, you are not really 'disconnected'.  The system is unable to return you to the main instance from the story instance, but you are still fully connected to the game servers.

Edited by Innocente.4271
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I kept getting booted and, by a horrible coincidence, my fibre connection was simultaneously messed up, and my router kept dropping connection -- for the first time in 2 years! Thanks Vodafone, whatever the hell you're doing right now, you cost me my dailies and Dragonstorm 😞

I asked in mapchat and a few people said they were getting the random disconnects, and there's been complaints today of huge ping issues. Who knows? Seriously annoying for me, though.

17 hours ago, Little Wolf.8927 said:

I'm not sure if this is a server issue or not, since my internet is stable at the moment, but I just got disconnected while doing the personal story in Lion's Arch. Is anyone else having this problem?

NM; Thread has been merged.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
Merged threads.

Yep getting the same issues as others.

I am running friends from another MMO through personal story at present as they were keen to consider GW2 as a new home for their game time, but seeing them get constant disconnects at the same story points and preventing them from progressing is turning them sour already.  Even interacting with NPC's like the Guild Hall Notary is causing this and it's not influencing them an awful lot to now purchase expansions...  bugs are something we expect in MMO's but progress blocking ones are just not acceptable after a week or two of sending reports in via ingame without so much as an auto reply to acknowledge someone is there!

edit - They both have checked for up to date drivers, Win 10 updates and their internet doesn't drop.. this is a game issue and its happening constantly at the same points in story blocking progress.

Edited by Bloodstealer.5978

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad isn't it.
Using a VPN is the only solution for me to safely play any kind of instanced content like storyline, dungeons, fractals and even in the golem training area.
Like one of the last one was in fractal 24 right before the boss when the npc talks, that was long enough already, it's not a cutscene itself.
And another was within the Metrica Province jumping puzzle but thanks it didn't reset to start like in other instanced content.

I got gw2 and HoT almost 7 years ago and hesitate to buy the full collection just because of that annoying bug. Then free vpn is way too laggy and I'm not really in need for a premium vpn for anything else but gw2.

Same error code:

Edited by Hhan.5728
  • Thanks 1

After 10 years this issue with the game DC'ing during a cinematic in a story instance has still not been solved, or checkpoints placed in the missions. its getting very annoying to have to do Victory or Death (zhaitan) 5 times because it of disconeccts during the cinematics (mostly the one after the mouth)

using a tagline to make the game use a secure port does help, but its still annoying.  it also seems to be very specific cinematgics that cause it more ofter than not, like the cauldron drop cinematic from Blast from the past also DC's alot, can you plaease put in checkpoints so you dont have to do the whole mission over and over again

2 hours ago, GrahamB.8301 said:

The bizarre solution, via a Reddit post, is to not tick the Remember Name and Remember Password boxes in the Game Launcher.

Judging from the thread, this has been a long term issue.
Why hasn't it been patched?

Idk But even the rememberign stuff and clearign cache still causes disconnects just not as often as having it on as far as i tested so i am doing evrythign renaming the exe file using hamachi to get the "port forward"  and manually logging in they know it is a problem and stil haven't done anything about it, mayby if josh complains about it when he's doing the video about it mayby then they do somethign about it like how amazon had to fix there new world after showing off the exploit bugs and glitches, but my guesse is not. 

23 hours ago, Hhan.5728 said:

Sad isn't it.
Using a VPN is the only solution for me to safely play any kind of instanced content like storyline, dungeons, fractals and even in the golem training area.
Like one of the last one was in fractal 24 right before the boss when the npc talks, that was long enough already, it's not a cutscene itself.
And another was within the Metrica Province jumping puzzle but thanks it didn't reset to start like in other instanced content.

I got gw2 and HoT almost 7 years ago and hesitate to buy the full collection just because of that annoying bug. Then free vpn is way too laggy and I'm not really in need for a premium vpn for anything else but gw2.

Same error code:

OMFG Thanks for this. I was stuck for weeks on a couple quests I need to do for Season of Dragons to get my free legendary and now I was able to do them with a VPN!