Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

It never happened to me, in 15-16 runs with a toaster as PC. But that part of the story would deserve some minor revamp, adding some checkpoint in the process. That fight is a bit sub-par, it's a pity. I remember a lot of people had disconnections also during "the departing".

Edited by Urud.4925

16 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I've always thought this was a silly argument. "I don't have the issue, so it's not an issue."

He didn't say it's not an issue, he literally said it "sounds like a personal problem", which still admits it is OP's issue. Seems like a completely related and direct response to OP's remarks about the developers being "so dedicated that they forcefully disconnect players 2-5 times during occasional instanced story content".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have been constantly replayign half of the opening instance of End of Dragons but keep disconnecting at the unskippable cinematic on the beach

As requested so often...

Please.. make ALL cinematics skipapble.

This becomes unplayable. I cannot get beyond "Jump from ship to ship" by now I done that part 5 times. Strange practise that progress is not saved BEFORE that long cinematic but AFTER and therefor throwing me in a constant loop of replay - disconnect - replay - disconnect - replay - disconnect.

Please ArenaNet... please make cinematics skippable to prevent this. We asked for years.

Happened again during 'The Departed' Nothing better than a disconnect during the last unskippable cutscene and then having to start the entire story mission over again that is filled with loads of unskippable dialogue and unskippable cutscenes. No other game or app has given me network problems like Guild Wars 2 does. It's ridiculous.

im a new player and this issue is really the only thing wrong with the game that i've encountered in 80 hours... ive been telling people the game respects my time but having to replay missions is making me rethink that... at the very least flag mission completion at the _start_ of the final cutscene rather than the end

Quick update. I tried everthing mentiont here and everywhere else. Nothing worked. Last thing i tried was a VPN and it worked. So to everyone who has this issue, GET A VPN. I use currently Proton, the free version, make sure you choose the closest server and you are good to go. I dont have a disconnects since then. 

Crashed twice in a row trying to complete the opening of the End of Dragons storyline when you travel to Cantha for the first time. I already completed this story at launch, and it only crashed once on me. However I'm done trying to use workarounds for an issue ArenaNet KNOWS about and yet can't seem to help much with. I'm not touching story anymore, just wasting my time and souring my love for this game. It's depressing because GW2 use to be my favorite game, but all the story-related issues just make me not want to play anymore. I'm strictly a PvE/Story player, so there's nothing for me to do. 😞

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have a very consistent lnternet connection, yet I've caught the options menu showing me as having an average ping of 800 for a brief moment immediately after a cutscene finishes. That implies it was in the 1000s in the half second it took for me to open the options. Whatever's happening in the game, it's messing with the client's communication with the server, as illogical as that sounds.

The game client lost its connection to the server. 

(code=7:11:3:202:101) 

Frequency:  

Happen three time last 12 hours of game time, especially after a long and difficult event (such as solo 'the mouth').

Finish the fight, then chat with the NPC at the ending, then 'frozen', then the disconnect notice pop up.   Redo game or give up.

I have to take a break, calm down first.   Don't tell me it is 'my computer issue'.   Playing other games I do not have 'issue' like this.

POSSIBLE FIX FOR GW2 STORYLINE INSTANCE DISCONNECTS

Ok.  Going to go out on a limb here and describe a set of changes I made that have (so far) allowed the game to play without any further Storyline Disconnects.  

I had a situation during the instance in Sparkfly Fen, the one where your Asura team destroys three towers with explosives.  That one had failed on me over and over for the past year+.  Every couple of months I would reinstall the game, try a few things, and see if it helped.  Nothing worked.

Thinking about it, I analyzed that it must be a combination of something in the GW2 system and something on my system.  If it was just GW2, then a whole lot of folks would have the problem.  If it was just in my system, more MMOs with instances that I play would have the problem (no others do).  So, I think it is a combination of something on my system and something in the GW2 code that is conflicting.

So, I decided to do some deep research on improving network performance.  Two promising lines of change showed up.  After having made these changes, the system completed the Sparkfly Fen instance and has completed dozens of further instances without issue.  I was going to wait longer for more instance play throughs but decided to post the information instead of waiting.

Here are the changes:

*  Open up the Network Adapter Properties dialog
*  Have <only> the following enabled:
    -  Client for Microsoft networks
    -  File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks
    -  Internet Version Protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Some systems may need more than the above three enabled, but mine does not.  So, I set everything else to off.

*  From the same Network Adapter Properties dialog select the "Configure..." button
*  From the Connection Properties dialog that comes up, select the "Advanced" tab
*  Find "Interrupt Moderation" and DISABLE it.

The "Interrupt Moderation" is what I suspect to be causing the disconnects.  The articles I found say that Interrupt Moderation should be disabled for gaming.  So, I disabled it.  So far so good.

If the above changes allow anyone to proceed past a Storyline Instance Disconnect fail point, please post back and let others know to try the changes.  If it does not help, post that back as well.

Good Luck

Edited by Ironkrieg.2056
Removed Some Whitespace
  • Like 1

I took a break from the game because of this, came back to do some wintersday stuff and bam disconnect while doing public toysmashing instance. The dreaded 7:11:3:202:101 hit me again. Had enough of this noncense and got myself a vpn. So far so good, with vpn I have been able to do story instances (including the EoD 1st instance w unskippable cinematic which always dc's) , fractals and strikes without me spamming 11111 or wasd. None of the posted tips or prayers helped. I will still need to do some testing (run HoT story as there is 1 instance that always 100% disconnect's) before I can say that the vpn is my solution for this bs.  

9 minutes ago, Memeren.1057 said:

I took a break from the game because of this, came back to do some wintersday stuff and bam disconnect while doing public toysmashing instance. The dreaded 7:11:3:202:101 hit me again. Had enough of this noncense and got myself a vpn. So far so good, with vpn I have been able to do story instances (including the EoD 1st instance w unskippable cinematic which always dc's) , fractals and strikes without me spamming 11111 or wasd. None of the posted tips or prayers helped. I will still need to do some testing (run HoT story as there is 1 instance that always 100% disconnect's) before I can say that the vpn is my solution for this bs.  

If I understand VPN correctly, your system talks to the VPN provider, then they talk to the GW2 servers.  Thus, your system would not be talking directly to the GW2 servers.  That may explain why the VPN works to eliminate the disconnect issue.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...

My sister used to have this issue while we were trying to play through the story. I've spent countless hours on the forums trying to find a possible answer and at the end of the day I did some troubleshooting.

First I did a packet capture on my sister's device and on mine( I never had the issue) while playing through a story mission. Comparing the two in an IDE(Visual Studio Code) and I found a generic packet timeout on her packet capture for port 6112. After that I came across a comment that I can't seem to find anymore that pointed me to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Basically I set up a settings.json file in %appdata% ( just type that into windows file explorer) in the gw2 folder. If you have a look at the link you can change the client port from 6112 which as they suggest can be affected in different ways by different ISPs using different rules to load balance, timeout, etc. Open notepad copy the below in and save the file as settings.json, put the file in the folder I mentioned in appdata. I've left the "-noui" in to make sure that you haven't messed up with formatting of the file, if you launch the game and the UI is hidden, you've done it right. CTRL+SHIFT+H brings it back. 

I really hope this helps someone 🙂

{
     "arguments":[
         "-clientport 80",
         "-noui"  
     ]
 }
Edited by Alexzor.9071

3 hours ago, Alexzor.9071 said:

My sister used to have this issue while we were trying to play through the story. I've spent countless hours on the forums trying to find a possible answer and at the end of the day I did some troubleshooting.

First I did a packet capture on my sister's device and on mine( I never had the issue) while playing through a story mission. Comparing the two in an IDE(Visual Studio Code) and I found a generic packet timeout on her packet capture for port 6112. After that I came across a comment that I can't seem to find anymore that pointed me to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Basically I set up a settings.json file in %appdata% ( just type that into windows file explorer) in the gw2 folder. If you have a look at the link you can change the client port from 6112 which as they suggest can be affected in different ways by different ISPs using different rules to load balance, timeout, etc. Open notepad copy the below in and save the file as settings.json, put the file in the folder I mentioned in appdata. I've left the "-noui" in to make sure that you haven't messed up with formatting of the file, if you launch the game and the UI is hidden, you've done it right. CTRL+SHIFT+H brings it back. 

I really hope this helps someone 🙂

{
     "arguments":[
         "-clientport 80",
         "-noui"  
     ]
 }

From the Knowledge Base:  https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015788327-Configuring-your-Router-and-Firewall-Ports

From the Wiki:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-clientport_80

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, again this, it's been years, I had a long talk with tech support and it wasn't resolved, they did several tests with me and without solution, in fact, they recognize that it's an existing problem but we don't see them do anything to resolve, I love GW2 I want to do the missions, but I'm always being disconnected in boss fights and having to do everything again is tiring...

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Had this exact same issue over and over again. My computer never loses a second of delay during normal open world game, zero internet issues for the entire time I lived in my current address, but the story mode.............It just don't get any improvement no matter what I try. The customer support don't know how to fix it. Asks me a bunch of questions and request to run diagnostic programs and generate files to attached back then ask for more to go deeper and never got me an answer. Its utter the lack of responsibility from the ArenaNet. They DO NOT CARE! They will direct you to make report on in-game bug and those will not give you any answers either. Has ArenaNet ever addressed this issue to customers for 10+ years since release? Do they ever give customers a fix or an update? 

• Confused 1

I came back after years of not playing and decided to give this Victory or Death a try as I never completed it... Sadly I too keep getting DC'd whilst doing this, its very frustrating!  I tried 5 times today and wasted several hours of my time due to random disconnects in different places of the instance 😞  Yesterday I played in open world for hours and had no problems, so its definitely something with this instance.

• 2 weeks later...

Its probably never getting fixed unfortunately.  ArenaNet just does not care because it affects a small % of users.  For me it was always in an instance just before a cutscene needed to load and I could reproduce that issue probably 85% of the time, which gets old real quick having to replay stuff over and over again.   ArenaNet support just wants to pass the issue off onto my ISP and isn't interested in having a developer investigate the issue.  If the issue was they couldn't reliably reproduce the issue I figured they'd be interested to see why I could reproduce it on demand but they just don't care.  I just moved on to one of a dozen or so other MMO's that I've played over the past 10 years for hundreds of hours with no disconnect issues.

• Confused 1

Tried all solutions - fail. Repair client etc. - fail. My internet connection is fine and dandy. I've tested PoF "Sparkling the Flame" on my alt acc and guess what? 3x in a row got disconnected at the same spot which is not even a custscene only a dialog between NPCs to get Fire Extinguisher. usually when i do storyline quests i get dc 85% of time. At this point i need to wait for my friends to be the host to not make THEM lose progress because of me.  FIX THIS S***! Make a checkpoints each quest progresses or a reconnect option to continue instance.

Edited by Myrtanos.3870
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1