WHY Anet keep coming with (balancing) projects then dont finish them

DragonFury.6243

1st. make weapon trait usable even when you dont equip the weapon (EX. Lingering Curse)2nd. the trade off for the elite specialization from core(EX. mirage )3rd. the removal of passive life saver trait (EX. warrior) (this one is funny because in the same balance patch they gave a new passive life saver to engi)4th. rework/buffing of underwater weapon skills (need a lot of work but its not PvP related so no harry )5th. banning hackers and 3rd party users for 6 month (they did it in couple seasons then they stop)

AND also many project that is not related to balance or PvPhalf done or unfinished is not the result that i want but do you want them to complete an old project or start a new one instead ?

because the gw2 we loved was made by a whole different group of people, the ones who took their places don't even understand how this game works, and how to make it better, it's like if you build a house for someone, later you get fired, and a new constructor gets to finish it, only your language was english and this new constructor speaks french, forget it gw2 as we loved it will never come back

want proof? check wvw dev streams, see how those guys play, they are horrible at it, look at arenanet vs streamers pvp matches, they don't even know how to properly play a game they are balancing...

@kraai.7265 said:because the gw2 we loved was made by a whole different group of people, the ones who took their places don't even understand how this game works, and how to make it better, it's like if you build a house for someone, later you get fired, and a new constructor gets to finish it, only your language was english and this new constructor speaks french, forget it gw2 as we loved it will never come back

want proof? check wvw dev streams, see how those guys play, they are horrible at it, look at arenanet vs streamers pvp matches, they don't even know how to properly play a game they are balancing...

This. Even M.Obrien jumped ship. If you expect meaningful and impactful balance that makes sense. This is the wrong game now.

S> @kraai.7265 said:

because the gw2 we loved was made by a whole different group of people, the ones who took their places don't even understand how this game works, and how to make it better, it's like if you build a house for someone, later you get fired, and a new constructor gets to finish it, only your language was english and this new constructor speaks french, forget it gw2 as we loved it will never come back

So true....

@otto.5684 said:

@kraai.7265 said:because the gw2 we loved was made by a whole different group of people, the ones who took their places don't even understand how this game works, and how to make it better, it's like if you build a house for someone, later you get fired, and a new constructor gets to finish it, only your language was english and this new constructor speaks french, forget it gw2 as we loved it will never come back

While the being a good dev does not necessitate being a highly skilled player. I also think that there has been a shift in the balance dev team around a year ago, and whoever is in charge right now (or maybe the entire team) lack the required competence. And devs tend to on tangents (like the chrono changes last 2 patches) that are not needed, no one asked for them and tend to break things that were already working. The end result is less build diversity, and alienating veteran players.

Considering all of the balance patches this past year were really good I don't think anybody can call the team incompetent...

On that note: Warrior will never lose it's passive stances, get over it. It has enough drawbacks as is.

@Blocki.4931 said:

While the being a good dev does not necessitate being a highly skilled player. I also think that there has been a shift in the balance dev team around a year ago, and whoever is in charge right now (or maybe the entire team) lack the required competence. And devs tend to on tangents (like the chrono changes last 2 patches) that are not needed, no one asked for them and tend to break things that were already working. The end result is less build diversity, and alienating veteran players.

Considering all of the balance patches this past year were really good I don't think anybody can call the team incompetent...

On that note: Warrior will never lose it's passive stances, get over it. It has enough drawbacks as is.

quality over quantity my friend, most of balance patches this year were pure trash, they just nerfed some random things, broke some others, swift the meta a bit but the game is still in this trash spot and they still avoid what really need to be nerfed

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"kraai.7265" said:because the gw2 we loved was made by a whole different group of people, the ones who took their places don't even understand how this game works, and how to make it better, it's like if you build a house for someone, later you get fired, and a new constructor gets to finish it, only your language was english and this new constructor speaks french, forget it gw2 as we loved it will never come back

I can't really call a few very small shaves a "balance patch" at all, it's simply impossible. There's needed a nuke to every single HoT and PoF spec and now even for some Core Classes aswell cause they were powercreeped for no reason (Mesmer, Wars, etc).If core would be worth 90~110 points(meaning fairly balanced for most classes), then HoT (current) sits around 150~200 points(still too strong on certain classes) and PoF would sit around 250~350 points(powercreep af).The gameplay was dumbed down soo much since HoT release, nah, since condi cap removal, I really don't understand how people cannot see the obvious here.There's too much of: boons, conditions, damage, ccs, heals, passive defenses, passive damage&conditions that carry a player. That's really astonishing that people STILL play PvP and WvW, though they start quiting them for very good reason. Not mentioning visual cluster thanks to these speces (though they nerfed core animations for certain skills and look now, shiny everywhere, someone will go blind sooner or later).The last match I could say that it was "fun" I had maybe like 2 years ago? When there was really good match without any kind of condi abusers or extreme meta huggers, I really didn't care about winning/losing that one.

Current games are just spamfest without skill involvement, new players will come to PvP, see mirage spamfest, or walking scourge condi converter(it's a support spec, so make it a proper support kitten), or unkillable sb, or passive damage dealing weaver while going through defenses and then leave that gamemode forever. Where's fun here?The only good thing that makes GW2 better than other games like ESO, FFXIV, WoW, etc. it's combat system, how fluid it is(still buggy af though) and that's it, that's the real reason why people still play it and maybe to chat with friends.

@"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:The only good thing that makes GW2 better than other games like ESO, FFXIV, WoW, etc. it's combat system, how fluid it is(still buggy af though) and that's it, that's the real reason why people still play it and maybe to chat with friends.

Have you seen ESO or FFXIV? If you think GW2 is a visual clusterduck, you'd have a heart attack trying to play either of those games.

At OP. 1. and 2. are probably still an ongoing progress. The last patch lacked an example of both but the previous one diversified ele attunement traits which are basically the weapon traits for ele and added tradeoffs to Chrono, for example. As for point 3, I don't think they were ever doing that. The intention was never to completely remove them. Nobody really cares about the 4th point, wasted resources IMO.The 5th point shouldn't really be a "project". It should be an ongoing company policy and should be enforced heavily.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@"TrollingDemigod.3041" said:The only good thing that makes GW2 better than other games like ESO, FFXIV, WoW, etc. it's combat system, how fluid it is(still buggy af though) and that's it, that's the real reason why people still play it and maybe to chat with friends.

Have you seen ESO or FFXIV? If you think GW2 is a visual clusterduck, you'd have a heart attack trying to play either of those games.I have seen them to some degree and I agree, especially FFXIV I've even played Cabal and it was already shiny on screen, but it seems I wasn't clear enough. Some time ago A-net decided to tone down visual clutter by shaving animations on skills to make combat more "visible"(like fireball on eles staff) even though they weren't that annoying, yet they've added a lot new shiny effects that are even worse than those toned down. It's like at some point they've stopped caring at all.

@"DragonFury.6243" said:1st. make weapon trait usable even when you dont equip the weapon (EX. Lingering Curse)

True, there are still plenty of weapon traits that need to be looked at.

2nd. the trade off for the elite specialization from core(EX. mirage )

Well, if we look at the last balance patch, we could say that ANet was looking into the scourge's e-spec trade off... Poorly done, yes but still done.

3rd. the removal of passive life saver trait (EX. warrior) (this one is funny because in the same balance patch they gave a new passive life saver to engi)

Well, nope. This balance "project" was mainly aimed at removing traits that punished CC with CC. Otherwise, elementalist (final shielding), warrior (defy pain), ranger (stoneform), necromancer (unholy sanctuary), guardian (virtous solace), thief (instant reflexe), engineer (emergency elixir), mesmer (desperate decoy), revenant (versed in stone) would have been removed from the game at this time.

This idea that ANet wanted to remove life saver traits is purely a player delusion because at that time it was a hot subject on the forum.

4th. rework/buffing of underwater weapon skills (need a lot of work but its not PvP related so no harry )

I don't think it's that necessary, they already did a lot.

5th. banning hackers and 3rd party users for 6 month (they did it in couple seasons then they stop)

Well, they like doing this in bulk.

AND also many project that is not related to balance or PvPhalf done or unfinished is not the result that i want but do you want them to complete an old project or start a new one instead ?

@DragonFury.6243 said:1st. make weapon trait usable even when you dont equip the weapon (EX. Lingering Curse)

@"Dadnir.5038" said:True, there are still plenty of weapon traits that need to be looked at.

I made a list the other day.

Elementalist: Done.Engineer: Entirely missing a trait for Rifle.Guardian: Focus Mastery, Stalwart Defender, Unrelenting Criticism.Mesmer: Imagined Burden, Duelist's Discipline, Fencer's Finesse, Warden's Feedback, The Pledge, Mirrored Axes.Necromancer: Soul Marks, Banshee's Wail.Ranger: Primal Echoes.Revenant: Is missing traits for Staff, Mace, Axe and Hammer.Thief: No Shortbow trait.Warrior: Sundering Mace, Crack Shot, Sun and Moon Style.

Notice how they've barely touched Mesmer yet. Guess they thought they would get flak for "buffing" Mesmer given the currently prevalent resentment in the community towards the class.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@DragonFury.6243 said:1st. make weapon trait usable even when you dont equip the weapon (EX. Lingering Curse)

@Dadnir.5038 said:True, there are still plenty of weapon traits that need to be looked at.

Elementalist: Done.Engineer: Entirely missing a trait for Rifle.Guardian: Focus Mastery, Stalwart Defender, Unrelenting Criticism.Mesmer: Imagined Burden, Duelist's Discipline, Fencer's Finesse, Warden's Feedback, The Pledge, Mirrored Axes.Necromancer: Soul Marks, Banshee's Wail.
  • necromancer no longer have greatsword trait

@Yannir.4132 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:True, there are still plenty of weapon traits that need to be looked at.

Elementalist: Done.Engineer: Entirely missing a trait for Rifle.Guardian: Focus Mastery, Stalwart Defender, Unrelenting Criticism.Mesmer: Imagined Burden, Duelist's Discipline, Fencer's Finesse, Warden's Feedback, The Pledge, Mirrored Axes.Necromancer: Soul Marks, Banshee's Wail.Ranger: Primal Echoes.Revenant: Is missing traits for Staff, Mace, Axe and Hammer.Thief: No Shortbow trait.Warrior: Sundering Mace, Crack Shot, Sun and Moon Style.

Notice how they've barely touched Mesmer yet. Guess they thought they would get flak for "buffing" Mesmer given the currently prevalent resentment in the community towards the class.

ofc they would get flak.gotta keep the nerf ball rolling rolling rolling.

@Blocki.4931 said:

With the exception of very few, the class balance changes have been a complete disaster for the last year or so.

Ele weaver is better brusier/condi. Everything else is the same or worse.Engi, finally after 2 years Anet finally nerfed shockwave. But that us barely a toss in a pan for an elite that has been hugely out performing. Major unnecessary re-works for scrapper. It was insanely overpower then nerfed, then nerfed again. And none of this was needed at all. All it needed was a bit of damage buff and utility buff.Guardian, in addition to absolute failure to nerf FB support, Anet killed all other builds.Mesmer, nerfed to the point of being useless. Forcing everyone to play the troll ranged clone AI damage spam build, which while okay solo, is overall not a good build except for trolling. Alt+ctrl+delete for chrono.Necro, up and down changes for reaper. It is barely viable. Core necro is better and scourge is a bit worse. With the exception of reaper, necro is in okay place.Ranger, with the exception of LB+GS power build everything else is meh, except druid, which is absolutely terrible (and yet still keeps getting nerfed).Rev, only power rev is usable. Most of the nerfs were warranted. Every other change was trash tier.Thief, probably the only class that is somewhat balanced.Warrior. SB brusier build is over performing. Bersrker changes are trash tier (it is just better for PvE power dps output with zero build flexibility). Nothing else works.

So.. ya. Except necro and thief everything is seriously fucked up. Diversity is near non-existent, with less than a dozen competitive build. And to repeat, Anet devs tend to go on re-design tangents that are not needed, no one asked for them and tend to break things that were already working.

As far as the dev team competency, calling them incompetent is not fair, but call them competent is also not correct. For my main and two-three other classes I know all the builds, which skills work and which do not and, particularly on my main, down to every single trait. When devs do changes, that clearly not inline with the descriptions they provide or do not fix skills they change, it cast a serious doubt on their competency.

@DragonFury.6243 said:1st. make weapon trait usable even when you dont equip the weapon (EX. Lingering Curse)2nd. the trade off for the elite specialization from core(EX. mirage )3rd. the removal of passive life saver trait (EX. warrior) (this one is funny because in the same balance patch they gave a new passive life saver to engi)4th. rework/buffing of underwater weapon skills (need a lot of work but its not PvP related so no harry )5th. banning hackers and 3rd party users for 6 month (they did it in couple seasons then they stop)

You forgot one more balancing project at least. They were supposedly going to make boons more tied to specific professions so there can be reasons to take different professions. They started by nerfing chrono and then completely stopped. They barely touched FB which is the other major offender that can give nearly every boon in the game.

In addition, they talk a lot about buffing or changing certain specs a bit in one patch as preparation for further changes. Instead of those further changes coming in the next balance patch, they either come 3-4 balance patches later or they do not make it into the game at all. For example, a couple of balance patches ago support tempest was buffed with the shout trait and some other decent buffs, and Anet were going to keep an eye on tempest and give it more changes down the line to make support more appealing. These changes have still not made it into the game. The latest patch mainly buffed DPS tempest. I bet the same thing will happen with scourge. They changed the way the shade mechanic works and that supposedly makes space for further improvements to scourge. I wonder how long it will take for these changes to make it into the game. I have a hunch that they are not making it in anytime soon.

do you guys remember when we actually had to use combos on our allies skills to produce boons? omg what a time to be alive, now either you play a class with boons or without, press a few buttons and you can spam endlessly at least 1 boon, some classes can spam 5 to 8 lolthis game is garbage compared to core

@Solori.6025 said:

This. Even M.Obrien jumped ship. If you expect meaningful and impactful balance that makes sense. This is the wrong game now.

I mean even before MO jumped ship, people coming in for that reason still came to the wrong game, as a matter of fact the wrong genre of game. If you want all the goods/pros of a PvP centric game, play a actual PvP focused developed game.

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

I mean even before MO jumped ship, people coming in for that reason still came to the wrong game, as a matter of fact the wrong genre of game. If you want all the goods/pros of a PvP centric game play a actual PvP focused developed game.

without pvp, guild wars is nothing.

@Ganathar.4956 said:You forgot one more balancing project at least. They were supposedly going to make boons more tied to specific professions so there can be reasons to take different professions. They started by nerfing chrono and then completely stopped. They barely touched FB which is the other major offender that can give nearly every boon in the game.yesI did forgot about thatand i think this project is very intersting one and just hope Anet remember it too

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

I mean even before MO jumped ship, people coming in for that reason still came to the wrong game, as a matter of fact the wrong genre of game. If you want all the goods/pros of a PvP centric game play a actual PvP focused developed game.

Sure enough the proof is in the pudding with how big the population for it is and how much support it receives right? :anguished:

@kraai.7265 said:do you guys remember when we actually had to use combos on our allies skills to produce boons? omg what a time to be alive, now either you play a class with boons or without, press a few buttons and you can spam endlessly at least 1 boon, some classes can spam 5 to 8 lolthis game is garbage compared to core

I missed most of the core days, but remember some of it. The concept of blasting fields to get boons was very good. It required planning and aiming. It also kept the boon volume and intensity in a good range. Now you press a button and get three boons. Another button and three more. And half the builds generate a ridiculous amount of might.

@Ganathar.4956 said:

@"DragonFury.6243" said:1st. make weapon trait usable even when you dont equip the weapon (EX. Lingering Curse)2nd. the trade off for the elite specialization from core(EX. mirage )3rd. the removal of passive life saver trait (EX. warrior) (this one is funny because in the same balance patch they gave a new passive life saver to engi)4th. rework/buffing of underwater weapon skills (need a lot of work but its not PvP related so no harry )5th. banning hackers and 3rd party users for 6 month (they did it in couple seasons then they stop)

You forgot one more balancing project at least. They were supposedly going to make boons more tied to specific professions so there can be reasons to take different professions. They started by nerfing chrono and then completely stopped. They barely touched FB which is the other major offender that can give nearly every boon in the game.

well i actually belive thats a complete scamthey tell us they want more class variety, yet they destroyed a hot spec which wasn't over performing and actually was one of the most fun specs to use (chrono) but they never touched that fail of a spec called renegade, which most players avoid because it's one of the most stupid and braindead designs they ever madeso a hot spec which had a "unique" (my ass) boon to offer for their team, which also had sense in the lore of the spec, you know, controlling time, giving less cd to allies, was completely destroyed and removed from high level gameplay (btw it was one of the most used specs)and a failed pof spec (one of the less used) was left completely untouched and was given a "unique" boon only chronos had before thatto me anet is failing miserably to hide their intentions to destroy everything thats not pof related so they can push all the reminent players who haven't bought pof to buy it

thats why i started another post demanding a real road map of where pvp and wvw is going, because if i knew they would pull this lame and stupid tactics in order to keep selling a product that hasn't delivered even half of quality that hot did (i know hot was umbalanced but at least specs where unique, had sense, and where pretty damn fun to use, even more after they nerfed everything down to core level, not like pof specs which all have huge fails design and mechanic wise making them impossible to balance properly) i wouln't have payed for this miserable expansion in the first place

@Lucentfir.7430 said:

@"kraai.7265" said:because the gw2 we loved was made by a whole different group of people, the ones who took their places don't even understand how this game works, and how to make it better, it's like if you build a house for someone, later you get fired, and a new constructor gets to finish it, only your language was english and this new constructor speaks french, forget it gw2 as we loved it will never come back

Sure enough the proof is in the pudding with how big the population for it is and how much support it receives right? :anguished:

well actually, right before hot release, pve and wvw had almost the same amount of population, yet pveers had no real challenge or endgame content, so after they've done everything they could they either went to wvw as endgame or just leave the game for a different one

hot unbalanced combat, and powecreep laid to tons of pvpers quitting, making the scale lean towards the pve side, but until that point gw2 was a pvp oriented mmo, i mean the name just tell us everything we need to know "guild wars 2" npc have no guilds...

and it was until that point that they decided to flip the scale and commit more to pve, and why?because a pvp community demands a lot more from a dev team than a pve community like the one we have in gw2pvers here ar pretty casual, except from raiders, most just go and farm the same content over and over again looking for currency, skins or gear, some don't even farm, just hang out, craft, do buisness inside the game etcthey don't care about challenges, most of them cried that hot was too hard, just because they couldn't run freely through open field like in core tyria, they don't care about class balance because they never practice combat between themselves, also doing content for them it's much easier than for pvpers, they just need some braindead npcs to kill, a currency to farm, and a goal ( mostly skins) to buy with that currency

meanwhile pvpers ask for different maps, different content, class balance, good performance (no lag spikes, stable servers) a swift in meta every few months, and the content you can create has to be much more creative, like wvw if you see it as a content piece, it has way more mechanics and stuff added inside than any pve map

thats why pvp community is almost dead right now, and the ones who are left are so angry, they feel scammed, because this game a few years ago dropped the ball, and left them ignored, a game that for years sell itself as a pvp oriented mmo, suddenly started to became a pve grind fest catering the most casual players they could, that and they also dumbed down so many mechanics it turned into an android mmo combat wise

and if you doubt what i say, simply think about it, the proof is right there, back then the "endgame content" for pvers were dungeons, which were not challenging at all, and were made only to farm exotic gear, which was the best one back then, used for wvw, which was the ultimate game mode, the one you reached after everything else, only after you already reached lvl cap and full gear, there was not farming, timers, meta maps, raids, nothing, just pure combat between players in a massive pvp zone with some pve elements.