Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80?

@Menadena.7482 said:

@nerfworthy.9618 said:I hope they don't. I am weary of the level increase other MMO's have with each expansion. It completely invalidates what you've done up until that point. With the mastery system in place there is absolutely no reason to raise the level cap in GW2.

If anything, to force people not to think of masteries as a vertical progression, they should not be a gotta catch em all thing. Either a tree like traits or some other system. Right now people are gathering all the mastery points on the map just to show off they are at max 'level', no matter if they are actually putting all of them into masteries or if (hot
cough
hot) there are some masteries and even whole lines that are pretty useless.

You have to max out masteries to add mastery number to you charcter.People woh are 295 have all the lines filled out.And there is more mastery points then there is levels atm so some people have more then 295 points for sure.

But why though? I can think of better things to do with 12 points in HOT than some of those top tier masteries. The only reason to show 295 there is just for bragging.

For example, if you never do fractals why even put a single point into the fractals mastery line?

What else do you do with them once you've got the masteries you want trained?

I stopped going out of my way to get mastery points once I had all the ones I knew I wanted, but I'd still get points sometimes if I found one in the world or completed an achievement that gave a point, and since they can't be used for anything except masteries I started putting them into the ones I probably won't use. It took a long time doing it that way, I didn't finish the HoT masteries until long after PoF was released (I don't remember when exactly but I know it was after the roller beetle was added) but I didn't care because as I said I wasn't going out of my way to get the points, it just happened while I was doing other things.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@nerfworthy.9618 said:I hope they don't. I am weary of the level increase other MMO's have with each expansion. It completely invalidates what you've done up until that point. With the mastery system in place there is absolutely no reason to raise the level cap in GW2.

If anything, to force people not to think of masteries as a vertical progression, they should not be a gotta catch em all thing. Either a tree like traits or some other system. Right now people are gathering all the mastery points on the map just to show off they are at max 'level', no matter if they are actually putting all of them into masteries or if (hot
cough
hot) there are some masteries and even whole lines that are pretty useless.

You have to max out masteries to add mastery number to you charcter.People woh are 295 have all the lines filled out.And there is more mastery points then there is levels atm so some people have more then 295 points for sure.

But why though? I can think of better things to do with 12 points in HOT than some of those top tier masteries. The only reason to show 295 there is just for bragging.

For example, if you never do fractals why even put a single point into the fractals mastery line?

Well I need to get 16k spirit shards harder if I dont have max masteries.After that Im going for 17, 18 and so on.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Donari.5237 said:As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would
never
raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

Well the backlash against Ascended gear was enormous and they still added it in. So it wouldn't surprise me if they added another tier of gear or increased the level cap.

Ascended is difficult because in spite of the backlash there was also a significant number of people who wanted it. About a month into the game the forum was full of people complaining that they'd reached level 80, got full exotics (which pre-release info had implied would be harder than it is) with nice skins and now had nothing left to do except make a legendary (a lot of long-term goals, even core game ones, didn't exist back then - there were no collections for example). And back then precursor crafting didn't exist so making a legendary meant grinding gold to buy a precursor, or grinding gold to get rares to throw in the mystic forge hoping to get lucky. (Plus legendaries were exotics without stat selection, so literally the only reason to make one was if you liked the skin.)

It really shouldn't have been difficult. They didn't want players to grind in GW2 and they wanted everyone at level 80 to have the best statistical loot in the game. There was no reason to cater to players wanting additional gear tiers, especially because many of those players had already left by that point.

This. In Aion, they did this a lot. They went from 45 to 50, then to 55, then to 60, then to 65 and then leaped all the way to 75 and then again to 80 and it won't stop. All the money spent and wasted on new gear, maxed out, all manastones (to increase stats) in place in all armor and weapons, all your accessories ready for PvPvE...and then it was all unraveled with an expansion. A lot of that gear took months to get and when twas outdone by new gear that came out with better stats and a higher level. In Flyff it wasn't too bad, but Aion was the one game that I hated the gear progression. It was awful.

@Kanok.3027 said:

@"nerfworthy.9618" said:I hope they don't. I am weary of the level increase other MMO's have with each expansion. It completely invalidates what you've done up until that point. With the mastery system in place there is absolutely no reason to raise the level cap in GW2.

This. In Aion, they did this a lot. They went from 45 to 50, then to 55, then to 60, then to 65 and then leaped all the way to 75 and then again to 80 and it won't stop. All the money spent and wasted on new gear, maxed out, all manastones (to increase stats) in place in all armor and weapons, all your accessories ready for PvPvE...and then it was all unraveled with an expansion. A lot of that gear took months to get and when twas outdone by new gear that came out with better stats and a higher level. In Flyff it wasn't too bad, but Aion was the one game that I hated the gear progression. It was awful.Picking out Aion sounds kind of odd when pretty much
all
MMOs except GW2 does this, lol.

Either way its completely pointless. Even without new levels people still grind for gear (because of skins) and we already have "two levels above 80", first with HoT elites and then with PoF elites. If we want challenges, then higher level doesnt do anything - Anet can just add harder mobs... incidently just like they did in HoT, though somewhat less so in PoF. Hell I am still missing a true "endgame" zone with very difficult mobs across the board. Like, instead of groups of 3-4 regular mobs and 1 veteran... 3-4 elite mobs and something between elite and champion.

@Danikat.8537 said:As well as the issues already mentioned level scaling makes increasing the cap pointless. On any map level 80 or below you'd do the same damage as you do now because you'll be scaled down, and on any new level 90 maps you might see bigger numbers but the enemies would all be level 90 too, so the overall effect would be the same.

Every time someone ask what the OP is asking I am wondering if they even spent 10 seconds thinking about the question because of this.

@Healix.5819 said:

@Healix.5819 said:Prior to launch they talked about how GW2 wasn't going to be like GW1, how it was going to have vertical progression and how they planned for increasing the level cap at some point. It's unlikely they'll do anything now; it's too late and they'd be afraid of the backlash.

That's a patently false statement, the game was designed from the ground up with a max level cap and no vertical progression beyond that point, the only difference between GW1 and GW2 was that instead of the cap being at 20, it would be at the more traditional 80, but that's where it was going to stop all along.

58:35

"The level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game and we would absolutely increase it further into the game, probably through expansions is the most likely place we would do that." - Colin Johanson, 2011

Colin has also claimed that events and mobs would scale in a smarter way than just cranking up the damage and HP yet that is exactly what we got. Also something about expansion's worth of content. Doesn't seem like the most reliable source of information.

@Tsan.6431 said:Raise level's mobs should be a great idea but not for player.

That would just turn them into HP sponges. Lazy game design is a great idea?

@Zaraki.5784 said:Tomes of Knoeledge would kill the effort of gaining those new levels since many players have stacks of them in bank.

That is actually not a problem because tomes are already set to only give you a spirit shard if you use it on a lv80.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Tsan.6431" said:Raise level's mobs should be a great idea but not for player.

If its the "only" thing they do, then yeah its lazy. But when you look at the attack profiles of some of the Expansion mobs (especially in POF), a mob with a ton of Hard CCs can go from trivial to lethal simply by having enough HP to survive long enough to get attacks off. Nearly all of the POF mobs are a serious threat..... we just don't notice since much of that is mitigated by how fast you can burst them down. This is something we take for granted, and it bugs the crap out of me when people drone on about how easy or hard something is, without giving any real thought to the conditions they fight under.

I've long advocated that AI Mobs should more closely match to players in terms of combat behavior...... but the next closest thing we get is Mobs with bespoke attack skills that load up on effects, in addition to whatever damage it causes. The hard part is determining how durable they should be; since their counter strategy, group synergy, and opponent build type all factor into how fast they can be killed, and how dangerous they are to the player when still alive. Most glass cannon builds rapidly fall apart against an enemy that survive its burst damage. But on the opposite side of that same coin, the way damage scales in many builds causes most players to lose a war of attrition if trying to spec too much into defense.

Its a catch 22 so long as Mobs lack effective active defenses, and are EXPECTED to just soak damage as their means of survival.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Tsan.6431" said:Raise level's mobs should be a great idea but not for player.

If its the "only" thing they do, then yeah its lazy. But when you look at the attack profiles of some of the Expansion mobs (especially in POF), a mob with a ton of Hard CCs can go from trivial to lethal simply by having enough HP to survive long enough to get attacks off. Nearly all of the POF mobs are a serious threat..... we just don't notice since much of that is mitigated by how fast you can burst them down. This is something we take for granted, and it bugs the kitten out of me when people drone on about how easy or hard something is, without giving any real thought to the conditions they fight under.

None of that has anything to do with their level. The only time level has any impact on mechanics is where they remove some of them from the low level mobs and that stops at around level 10. Increasing a mob's level just inflates its HP(both direct and indirect via glancing blows/reduced condi duration due to level difference) and damage.

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80 to a higher level number?

I think it'd be neat to be 10 levels higher in a level 80 zone with and be able to buy armor sets with a higher defense number on them.

Who feels the same way? or is it a bad idea?

Why would you need higher defense numbers on level 80 PvE maps? Are you having problems staying alive on those maps? If you are maybe you should look at your traits, get different stats on your gear or get ascended gear. You can buy ascended trinkets with laurels and craft ascended weapons for the most effective increase in stats.

Not having any trouble at all staying alive. Was just wondering if they were ever going to raise the level bar like some game companies do.

Bethesda and Blizzard being good examples on how they increased leveling with a patch.

That's not really how Arena Net does things. I remember in the entire lifetime of the first Guild Wars they never raised the level cap a single time. And they said that with Guild Wars 2 they wanted to focus on horizontal progression rather than vertical. Thus far they have held to that nicely, with the addition of the mastery system, elite specializations, and new gear types. If you are bored with the current equipment look into some of the new gear from expansion zones. You won't get more powerful gear, but you will get new stat combinations or balances (most core gear capped at three stats, while new gear has four. They are balanced to be the same power overall [more stats mean lower overall numbers] but the new spreads can lead to interesting build possibilities).

If you haven't picked up any expansions I highly suggest you do so, as each offers enough new progression and development content to make something as straightforward as "higher level cap" unnecessary and even a bit redundant. There is more to feeling powerful than just having higher numbers; try strolling into a core zone with a whole gameplay mechanic that zone was never designed for and see how easily you can dominate everything, even with level scaling.