Game hangs when I hit exit to desktop

Every time I try to exit the game, it hangs and I have to restart my computer (task manager won't load at all or I can't click on it). When I reload gw2, it says that I have to repair the data archive. I've had to do this every single night this week. I'm not sure if it has to do with the latest Nvidia update that I just installed, or just that I'm logging out of PoF maps and its using lots of CPU.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My game has been freezing almost every time I exit as well, the difference however is that I don't have to repair anything. After the 3rd or 4th time I realized it was going to do this almost every time now, I started using the task manager to terminate the process almost as soon as I realize it's hanging.

I can almost guarantee a successful exiting of the game if I first log out to the character selection screen, wait about 7-10 seconds, and >then< exit the game. It seems like whenever it hangs/freezes, it's because the game might not be done saving game data for that toon that I was just on, if I exit the game immediately or too quickly.

This had never happened to me, ever, since playing this game... up until PoF... just like I've also never had GW2 use so much of my system memory before either... it seems that PoF uses almost twice as much RAM as pre-PoF did.

Anywho, if I figure out why mine keeps hanging upon exit, I'll let you know what I find.

For what it's worth, I checked the driver idea, I reverted my nVidia driver back a few versions all the way back to 382.xx, still happened regardless. Then, given what I mentioned about my game using so much more memory than it used to... I formatted a 8gm (class 10) SD card, and dedicated it to Ready Boost...something I never use. Luckily, so far I've not had a single crash upon exit (or any other hangs for that matter, even loading into Lions Arch was quicker, not by much but enough for me to notice), and I've tried to purposely recreate the freezing, but I can't do it now... yet.

I can't say this is a "fix", can't say it'll work for anyone else, but it might be worth a try, depending on how much RAM your system has. Me, I only have 8 gigs, never needed more. And btw, I'm also using Win8.1 64-bit and using the 64-bit client.

Give it a whirl, see if it helps, can't hurt to try, well... actually with Windows, one can never say that for sure.. it might just break something lol.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Yeah this has been happening to me also, although I CAN open task manager and kill it from there. Also just been getting a lot of crashes to desktop lately. Never happened before PoF.

Same for me for the majority. Sometimes however I can't even get into task manager and just have to hard restart my PC. Feelsbadman

• 4 weeks later...

One more report of "same", although as many others I do not have to restart. Almost every time I use "log out" from char selection or "exit to desktop" to quit gw2 it will close but then keep hanging as unresponsive application blocking me from using the pc in a normal way until I close it with the task manager.

Happening to me to - also happens sometimes when I start up GW2 and get the character select screen. Here, it becomes unresponsive and no portraits/characters load, the buttons don't work (but the music plays and the cursor moves). I can't kill it from task manager because it won't let me out of the window, but I can log off my W10 acc via ctrl+alt+del

Started happening sometime in the last week.

• 10 months later...

Happens to me as well (just happened). Bad 7870? Nope, BUT I now have a GTX1060 I received yesterday and after AMD driver complete removals (using DDU) then installing the Nvidia card, and drivers, here it is again. This proves it is not a driver issue nor a red, or green, video gfx card issue.

Archived