Good Duo for PVE -- Suggestions Please

Warlock.2461

Hey, All -- I'm trying the game out with my son. Just looking for a solid duo with some synergy for smooth leveling and PVE. Ideally he'll blow stuff up, and I will support/buff/heal.

Can you guys please throw out some suggestions--and explain how they work together? My son is interested in mesmer, but we're not really married to any profession at this point.

Thanks!

Double mesmers. You'll both get to blow up stuff and when one inetivably falls off a cliff the other can portal.

Synergy isnt really needed, just that both have the same speed (both slow or both with 25% or both with perma swiftness). Otherwise you will just piss each other off.

Power/staff daredevil and condition druid. He can demolish things with the simplest rotation in the game. And you can heal him up and crank his damage through the ceiling while also doing good DPS yourself. It's a real hand-in-glove duo.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Berserker_Staff(But take "invigorating precision" over "no quarter"... it's tremendously more survivable and forgiving)

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_DPS/Support_Condition

I played for a while with two friends, them on Reapers and me on Mesmer, we did a few dungeons and other challenging open world mini bosses/HPs and it was a lot of fun, we berely took any dmg since our Illusions/Minions did the tanking for us. It was fun seeing all those minions and illusions swarming the mobs.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Double mesmers. You'll both get to blow up stuff and when one inetivably falls off a cliff the other can portal.

Synergy isnt really needed, just that both have the same speed (both slow or both with 25% or both with perma swiftness). Otherwise you will just kitten each other off.

I second this fully. For those recommending elite specs, I think OP is more concerned with the leveling experience at the moment. Mesmer has a good variety of builds that continue to be strong even through the endgame.

If you need open world smooth support, necromancer is your answer.

• nr 1 at ressing, no competition there
  • beefy out of the box and can get a looot more beefier if you like
  • can still do solid damage while building tank stats (trailblazer, valkyrie, crusader, shaman)
  • scourge is a beast at cleansing condies off allies
  • and can stack a lot of might for allies if build for it
  • many ways to play, very varied builds
  • downed necro (especially with lake doric mastery) has very high chance of getting back up on his own.

Sure you don't span all boons, distortions, and crazy level heals around. But the point is - he is the reliable, tanky, super ressurector that can take the heat of his team and provide some pretty nice damage/cc and condi removal. Few barriers and small heal here and there work too ;)

@Ardent Heretic.8216 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Double mesmers. You'll both get to blow up stuff and when one inetivably falls off a cliff the other can portal.

Synergy isnt really needed, just that both have the same speed (both slow or both with 25% or both with perma swiftness). Otherwise you will just kitten each other off.

I second this fully. For those recommending elite specs, I think OP is more concerned with the leveling experience at the moment. Mesmer has a good variety of builds that continue to be strong even through the endgame.

Actually, I am looking at elite specs, since pre-elite profs are short term. I haven't settled yet. Out of town for a wedding, but I've been taking in these suggestions.

1. Should I factor in swiftness, or do mounts take care of that (I don't care about leveling)?

2. And should one of us be a tanky prof with the other buff/heals? Or can illusions/summons/stealth handle any need for "tank"-iness?

3. Duo combo field interaction worth it (or are these more for flavor and small free bonuses) vs. focus more on class abilities and buffs?

Thanks for all the input so far.

@Warlock.2461 said:

Actually, I am looking at elite specs, since pre-elite profs are short term. I haven't settled yet. Out of town for a wedding, but I've been taking in these suggestions.
  1. Should I factor in swiftness, or do mounts take care of that (I don't care about leveling)?
  2. And should one of us be a tanky prof with the other buff/heals? Or can illusions/summons/stealth handle any need for "tank"-iness?
  3. Duo combo field interaction worth it (or are these more for flavor and small free bonuses) vs. focus more on class abilities and buffs?

Thanks for all the input so far.

Good to know. No further advice from me toward a particular pairing. I feel like there is a lot of good info in this thread already.

1. Once you get mounts, my guess is those will solve pacing issues.

2. It’s a good idea to get the holy trinity of tank/heals/damage out of your head now. You’ll generally only see it in raids. Elsewhere in the game, all professions function as tank, healer, and dps simultaneously based upon what skills they are using and, to a much lesser extent, their equipment. An elementalist, for example, can attune to fire to damage, swap to earth to buffer against some incoming damage, then swap to water to heal his allies. More important to synergy is that you don’t overlap group buffs too much. Take dual mesmer: if you both specced chronomancer, you would probably cap out on quickness and alacrity buffs and waste a lot of potential. If one were to spec Mirage or core, you could benefit each other through a balance of damage and survival. And both speccing into the same lines is not always bad, but damage is king in PvE, so make sure at least one of you can pump it out.

3. Many combos are well worth executing. I wouldn’t build too much around it though. Simply take the good when it falls into place naturally. Engineer and elementalist are the two professions I think of when I think ‘deliberate combos.’ Part of ele play is choosing the combo fields for your allies to trigger (such as water to heal), and a large part of engi is triggering your own combos individually.

Double necromancer.

• tanky
  • massive amount of pets
  • epidemic shares conditions which essentially covers all your damage needs (this is actually huge because it essentially works as a complete multiplier to both your damage. Stack up one oponent with conditions, then share those with all enemys around him, result: all dead)
  • what works for T4 fractals works double for open world content
  • one necromancer is nearly unkillable in open world pve, two will level towns in seconds
  • mounts take care of any out of combat movement issues and getting from point A to point B

Honestly, all professions have support to some degree or other, even if the support types are different. Some heal, some provide offensive boons, some debuff mobs, etc.

Feel free to play any two professions you want based on what you think is cooler. Then build around whatever specs you feel works best.

Archived