Sword vs Axe vs Staff for secondary weapon (Power builds)

Sifu.9745

With GS as main weapon i just can't decide which secondary weapon set should i go for ... Sword dmg seems very low for a melee weapon: i do more dmg with GS lol. Staff is not bad as Power weapon, dmg is not that far behind sword (sometimes i can do even higher burst dmg) + nice defensive abilities. I am not sure about Axe ... Do you think it can be used as Power only weapon? I really don't like swords much, they are slow and it's hard to stick on target with them.I have in mind only solo pve, WvW and PvP (no dungeons/fractals/raids, when sword is a must have). Marauder, Berserker or Assassin or mixture of them.

Sword is the go to weapon when going with Power builds. In PvE it's our best access to AoE cleave and best DPS out of all of them, it also has access to Blurred Flurry which is our strongest damaging skill. In PvP, Blurred Frenzy is the best defensive tool in Mesmer's kit. Even with Condi builds, they use Sword over Sceptre or Axe, just because how strong Blurred Frenzy is. Not to mention it can boon strip, which is an invaluable asset to sword's awesome it. In addition, using Mirage with Sword, augments your mobility, clone generation and interruption by a lot just because how good Sword Ambush is in PvP.

I use a hybrid WvW gs/axe/torch build (more power than condi) when even when I run in PvE because I'm too lazy to change anything. Axe works fine for power, especially if you trait it and get an evade on a fairly short cd. The main damage bursts wont be your weapons anyway, its the shatter.

Archived