Build Templates Were Free in GW1

Common misconception. Guild Wars 1 didn't store your build templates, and didn't remember your gear.

But by all means, do continue harping on about it long after the decisions have been made. Surely that'll make you feel better."We want Build Templates!""Okay, here's some Build Templates""EEW! Not like THAT!"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Pirogen.9561" said:If template is stored on your client, then it costs ANet nothing.

If template is stored on server, then it costs ANet something. Server disk space. Disk space is not for free. One(1) template would be like nothing. But on server you have to multiply this by millions of characters/accounts. So it does add up.

OK, 3 templates are already there. The "current" ones. So 3 don't increase disk space. Extra do.

GW1 "templates" where on client, your PC.

Where are GW2 templates stored?

• If client, then "pay for extra" is a dirty money grab.
  • If server, its justified. Disk space is not for free.

Then let me store them on my own computer like before. I'd gladly store 30+ text files myself. I did it for hundreds of builds back in the day (which I still have around).

I still don't see why such a basic feature has to be paid. And people need to stop using the argument that "it's a free to play game. They need to be compensated." Living World is free by simply logging in. It's not a good excuse. Stop using it.

If storage is the problem, then let me store my own stuff. I've been doing it for a very long time already. But methinks storage is not the issue. They just want your money.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@ListenToMe.5130 said:guys. the game is free to play.it's not sub-based.it's a business.i will happily swipe my credit card for templates.not interested in using additional software and copying and pasting stuff.

yeah but how many builds do you have?

The people complaining have 15+ builds..some have 30.

@400 gems for gear and 400gems for traits...not counting needimg to buy character slots too.The person with 30 builds will have to spend4+4+4+4+4= 20 x400gems3+3+3+3+3= 15 x400gems€175 ...thats really not acceptable.

(Btw, I'm someone who's happy to anets build templates, I just understand why people are upset.)

How many builds people have has zero to do with what they will cost. if you got 30 builds and it costs too much for you to have them all swappable with this feature, you better start asking yourself what really differentiates them all and condense or use other approaches ... or do without them if you don't want to pay.

@Emberstone.2904 said:They just want your money.

Why is that ever an argument for why you should get builds for free? That's nonsense. OFC they want your money .. .they run a business. If you aren't willing to patronize them for a service they provide, don't ... but it's ridiculous to criminalize them because they want to run a business.

@Emberstone.2904 said:

@"Pirogen.9561" said:If template is stored on your client, then it costs ANet nothing.

If template is stored on server, then it costs ANet something. Server disk space. Disk space is not for free. One(1) template would be like nothing. But on server you have to multiply this by millions of characters/accounts. So it does add up.

OK, 3 templates are already there. The "current" ones. So 3 don't increase disk space. Extra do.

GW1 "templates" where on client, your PC.

Where are GW2 templates stored?
  • If client, then "pay for extra" is a dirty money grab.
  • If server, its justified. Disk space is not for free.

Then let me store them on my own computer like before. I'd gladly store 30+ text files myself. I did it for hundreds of builds back in the day (which I still have around).

I still don't see why such a basic feature has to be paid. And people need to stop using the argument that "it's a free to play game. They need to be compensated." Living World is free by simply logging in. It's not a good excuse. Stop using it.

If storage is the problem, then let me store my own stuff. I've been doing it for a very long time already. But methinks storage is not the issue. They just want your money.

the money you pay them is to cover the upfront cost of the development work the devs had done, and future development

sure you can get build template from arcDPS for free, BUT! that the decision of the person who wrote the build template for arcDPS

in fact, arcDPS can charge you money for the addon if wanted to, but that will be against Anet's EULA for trying to obtain monetary gains from their intellectual properties, shutdown and have their ass sued by Anet; by making it free makes it in the grey area, which Anet can still revoke it status of being an acceptable addon

Arena Net is NOT a charity, they are a business that needs pay their employees and answer to their shareholders

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:But your OK with justifying playing a mmorpg with no sub. They are putting a useful utility in the shop that people want, buy it and support the game or don't.

Put it this way by your argument you only ever want items in the shop that are not desirable and have never been free in any game in the past.

There's enough gem store items that QOL untilities don't need to be monitized and in a fashion that doesn't even come close to what we had before....I buy gem store items all the time with real money. I am very dissapointedd that a QOL feature is monitized and is also not as capable as it predesessor.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It’s funny that players who had been wanting build templates were saying they’d be willing to pay for them. Now that we’re getting them, with expanded slots being purchasable, it’s suddenly not okay. Such is the nature of the GW2 player-base I guess. “Be careful what you ask for” never rings much clearer.

I’m also slightly curious how many of those complaining actually have used build templates through ARCDPS. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re complaining just for the sake of complaining. Gotta grind those complaints out after all.

A portion was, me included, saying this not the majority and i personally stopped asking for it when delta made his own tool.

But hey ppl gotta ask devs to poor resources into stuff players themselves can make for free, cant have devs work on content and players on qol now can we?

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:But your OK with justifying playing a mmorpg with no sub. They are putting a useful utility in the shop that people want, buy it and support the game or don't.

Put it this way by your argument you only ever want items in the shop that are not desirable and have never been free in any game in the past.

There's enough gem store items that QOL untilities don't need to be monitized and in a fashion that doesn't even come close to what we had before....I buy gem store items all the time with real money. I am very dissapointedd that a QOL feature is monitized and is also not as capable as it predesessor.

That doesn't make sense. The expectation is ALWAYS going to be that Anet sells features as a service to players, just like EVERYTHING else you, me or any other player has ever got in the game from them... REGARDLESS of your opinion if there is enough gem store items (yeah .. because you walk into a regular store and think the same thing ... this thing I want should be free because the store if FULL of other stuff!!!). To expect anything else is unreasonable and implies sense of entitlement. Furthermore, it has no predecessor; this is the first time Anet is offering this feature to players.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:

There's enough gem store items that QOL untilities don't need to be monitized and in a fashion that doesn't even come close to what we had before....I buy gem store items all the time with real money. I am very dissapointedd that a QOL feature is monitized and is also not as capable as it predesessor.How is this different from bag slots, bank tabs, storage expansion, shared inventory slots, and so on? Those are all QoL features too, and people are just fine with Anet selling them...

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

There's enough gem store items that QOL untilities don't need to be monitized and in a fashion that doesn't even come close to what we had before....I buy gem store items all the time with real money. I am very dissapointedd that a QOL feature is monitized and is also not as capable as it predesessor.How is this different from bag slots, bank tabs, storage expansion, shared inventory slots, and so on? Those are all QoL features too, and people are just fine with Anet selling them...

Because they were in game since launch, and there was never a community made and authorized, better, free version of any of them.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

What C Cspace Cowboy.5903 said:

C Cspace Cowboy.5903Because they were in game since launch, and there was never a community made and authorized, better, free version of any of them.

@Obtena.7952 said:

That doesn't make sense. The expectation is ALWAYS going to be that Anet sells features as a service to players, just like EVERYTHING else you, me or any other player has ever got in the game from them... REGARDLESS of your opinion if there is enough gem store items (yeah .. because you walk into a regular store and think the same thing ... this thing I want should be free because the store if FULL of other stuff!!!). To expect anything else is unreasonable and implies sense of entitlement. Furthermore, it has no predecessor; this is the first time Anet is offering this feature to players.

Nice analogy there but you are forgetting one thing, this is a video game we are talking about, not a store.

I know it's really hard to tell them apart these days but still...

@C Cspace Cowboy.5903 said:

Because they were in game since launch, and there was never a community made and authorized, better, free version of any of them.

So you're saying if this exact system was in at launch and/ or Anet never allowed Arc that it would be fine?

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

So you're saying if this exact system was in at launch and/ or Anet never allowed Arc that it would be fine?Well, if this kind of monetization was in game since launch, i would not have started playing it at all, so yeah, i guess it would have been fine then.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

So you're saying if this exact system was in at launch and/ or Anet never allowed Arc that it would be fine?Well, if this kind of monetization was in game since launch, i would not have started playing it at all, so yeah, i guess it would have been fine then.

But it has been? This new system doesn't follow any different kind of methodology co.oared to bags, banks etc etc.

@"Emberstone.2904" said:Then let me store them on my own computer like before. I'd gladly store 30+ text files myself. I did it for hundreds of builds back in the day (which I still have around).

You can do that (for build templates, not gear) - they said that in the very first official announcement:

Build Template SharingBuild Templates can also be copied as a chat link in the game. You can send them to friends to help them prepare for a raid—or to your enemies to boast of your superior build. These chat links can also be copied and pasted out of the game and back into it from your clipboard, making trying a new build from another player or an external website a breeze

It bewilders me how people continue to complain about things that are absolute non-issues, just because they apparently can't even read through the announcement of the feature they complain about.

The game was designed to charge us for utilities such as inventory space or additional character slots from the very start. Why would anyone assume ArenaNet isn't going to charge us for build templates? Personally, I don't mind paying for these kind of conveniences since the game has no sub. I didn't when I started playing and I don't now. But you have to make that choice for yourself.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:But it has been? This new system doesn't follow any different kind of methodology co.oared to bags, banks etc etc.It might have been true if the gear slots were the only thing monetized, and if the system didn't require equipment from those gear slots to work. That's not true however - what we have here is not a gear slot addition, but a QoL system that is built around gemstore purchases. It is completely different than what we've had in the game at launch.

@witcher.3197 said:

@ListenToMe.5130 said:guys. the game is free to play.it's not sub-based.it's a business.i will happily swipe my credit card for templates.not interested in using additional software and copying and pasting stuff.

This game is buy to play, not free, and I'd gladly buy more expansions if they delivered repeatable content with them.

I'm all for paying to support development of the
game
. Right now I feel like we're just paying to support more things to pay for on the store. Where's my playable content other than LS?

@""ListenToMe.5130"

This game is free to play.

@dodgerrule.8739 said:

This game is buy to play, not free, and I'd gladly buy more expansions if they delivered repeatable content with them.

game
. Right now I feel like we're just paying to support more things to pay for on the store. Where's my playable content other than LS?

@""ListenToMe.5130"

I guess this sums up the state of the game. The game added free to play in 2015 - Free Accounts became available on August 29, 2015. This comes with many limited features. The veterans have paid for the base game, HoT, and PoF. So you are being rather dishonest when you say the game is F2P.

And once again the game isn't sub free because they wanted to do the playerbase a favor. The sub model would not work for them. Someone behind the scenes crunched the numbers and it was decided B2P with a supplemental in-game shop is what would be sustainable. People in general have no problem supporting the game, they understand work goes into developing a product. It's not what Anet is doing but how they are doing it.

For example, take two parents from different families attempting to support their family. The parents from family A - go to work 9-5, come home and study, so they can get some degree or vocational education in order provide more for their family. The parents from family B - go to work 9-5, decide it's not enough and they worry for their family, so they sell drugs or steal to provide more for their family. You can argue that this is a more extreme example but it is a plausible scenario.

In the situation above, it's admirable that both parents want to provide for their family but HOW they go about doing that is important. And I think that is the issue here. In the past Anet has made this mistake with mounts, and other things. If they instead released monetized templates that provided the same level of support that Delta had or that wasn't so limiting, the majority of the people would be fine with it. Instead they split templates into three sections and are trying to monetize each one of them, while also limiting the functionality of the templates themselves (six max vs. unlimited before with an add-on - and this was free). So they are paying to get a lot less and it's done in a way which leaves a sour taste in players mouth.

@dodgerrule.8739 said:

game

@""ListenToMe.5130"

By your logic I guess WoW is also a F2P game, since it's free until level 20.

It's very simple really. GW2 has an F2P part, which is basically an extended trial of the core game, and a heavily restricted one.

In the end GW2 is still a Buy-to-play game and WoW is Pay-to-play, despite both having parts that are free.

@witcher.3197 said:

game

@""ListenToMe.5130"

By your logic I guess WoW is also a F2P game, since it's free until level 20.

It's very simple really. GW2 has an F2P part, which is basically an
extended trial
of the core game, and a heavily restricted one.

In the end GW2 is still a Buy-to-play game and WoW is Pay-to-play, despite both having parts that are free.

The entire base game is free to play