People are still refusing to fight Viscount

The patch notes mentioned reducing his health and increasing rewards but people are still refusing to fight him, saying that the fight isn't worth doing even as a once a day.I know this is incredibly minor, but I wish they would do more to make him considered worthwhile to do.

Also, almost everyone I talked to about why they skip him mention people needing to bring reflects to the fight. So maybe make it more clear to people that standing in the candy goop will protect you from his candy corn projectiles?

Edit for clarification: This thread isn't about finding groups willing to do Viscount, but more about whether or not the event has appropriate rewards for the time and/or effort.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People consistently have no clue about fighting the viscount. Mainly because you can’t just spam skills and no brain it.

Too many people in this game just randomly hit skills off cooldown with no idea about mechanics that make it easy....

It’s also why the majority of the player base hates raids. And Higher level fractals.

I would suggest getting multiple members of your guild to do it. 5-10 would be more than enough.

Just watch out for Steve lol.

I always look for groups that do all bosses and every time I tell people you can stand in the candy pools to reflect his attacks. Almost every time I get people saying they didn't know that.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe because it looks like something the boss is creating players think they should avoid it?

(Although I'm also still encountering people who think only rangers have knock back skills, so I think a lot of players just don't understand even their own mechanics.)

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Also, almost everyone I talked to about why they skip him mention people needing to bring reflects to the fight. So maybe make it more clear to people that standing in the candy goop will protect you from his candy corn projectiles?

How many years have this been around and people STILL haven't learned its mechanics?

As for rewards .... it is probably still inferior to just farming the rest of the mobs in the lab. You could probably increase its reward by 10x and that will maybe break even.

I am not there to farm so I usually don't mind fighting it.

That being said ...

@Strider Pj.2193 said:People consistently have no clue about fighting the viscount. Mainly because you can’t just spam skills and no brain it.

Too many people in this game just randomly hit skills off cooldown with no idea about mechanics that make it easy....

It’s also why the majority of the player base hates raids. And Higher level fractals.

I would suggest getting multiple members of your guild to do it. 5-10 would be more than enough.

They COULD do that easily if only they just stayed in front of me(or at least closer) instead of trying to range it from as far away as possible. If they were actually staying close to it I would be healing, blocking, reflecting, cleansing conditions from them so they could just 1111 they way through and it also avoids pulling in other mobs.

Did a viscount + steve fight yesterday. Wasn't all that bad.

@Danikat.8537 said:(Although I'm also still encountering people who think only rangers have knock back skills, so I think a lot of players just don't understand even their own mechanics.)

That is a bit more situational. It is possible to tell if something was knockback/pushed/launched/etc. based on the animation of the mob that was hit.

I soloed that boss with a reaper vampire minion master build. Sustain works folks. Took ages, but works.

Alternatively just dodge . I know, that sounds snarky, but it isn't, if you time your dodges properly, viscount isn't nearly as obnoxious as the lich in my opinion.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Also, almost everyone I talked to about why they skip him mention people needing to bring reflects to the fight. So maybe make it more clear to people that standing in the candy goop will protect you from his candy corn projectiles?

How many years have this been around and people STILL haven't learned its mechanics?

As for rewards .... it is probably still inferior to just farming the rest of the mobs in the lab. You could probably increase its reward by 10x and that will maybe break even.

That being said ...

@Strider Pj.2193 said:People consistently have no clue about fighting the viscount. Mainly because you can’t just spam skills and no brain it.

They COULD do that easily if only they just stayed in front of me(or at least closer) instead of trying to range it from as far away as possible. If they were actually staying close to it I would be healing, blocking, reflecting, cleansing conditions from them so they could just 1111 they way through and it also avoids pulling in other mobs.

@Danikat.8537 said:(Although I'm also still encountering people who think only rangers have knock back skills, so I think a lot of players just don't understand even their own mechanics.)

That is a bit more situational. It is possible to tell if something was knockback/pushed/launched/etc. based on the animation of the mob that was hit.

Try viscount, Steve, and the skeleton next door. When I lead I have learned to always run ahead in that corner and open the skeleton so people will be forced into that event. If not some idiot will do it in the middle of the viscount battle.

A lot of that is due to this game being absolute GARBAGE at letting players know just what the heck is going on with mechanics and attacks. There are no cast bars, no real explanations in-game to learn from. It's just a chaotic light show to most people.

@Menadena.7482 said:

That being said ...

Try viscount, Steve, and the skeleton next door. When I lead I have learned to always run ahead in that corner and open the skeleton so people will be forced into that event. If not some idiot will do it in the middle of the viscount battle.

The veteran skeleton? O_o

I am not seeing any reason to be concerned about that one.

@Vyrulisse.1246 said:

A lot of that is due to this game being absolute GARBAGE at letting players know just what the heck is going on with mechanics and attacks. There are no cast bars, no real explanations in-game to learn from. It's just a chaotic light show to most people.

People don’t watch their bars, don’t know how to dodge, can’t CC, and don’t read chat.

I certainly don’t want huge banner instructions popping up in front of me... And even then, people don’t pay attention.

Its quite sad that effieciency farmers (who always take the easy way) dictate what content will be done or not. It used to be done regularly in the earlier days (all 3 bosses). I hope i will walk into a more oldschool group who also plays for fun/challenge when i get to doing the halloween events. I always wonder why those people play at all, only busy with farming loot all the day, whats the fun in that.

Efficiency farmers only dictate what is done on their instance. If you want to spend 10+ min killing that boss then join an instance that’s doing them. If you’re on an empty instance, put a LFG up.

It could potentially be done more frequently but it’s the average PvE player who make it not worth doing at all.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"cNd.1096" said:Anyone know how much they increased reward for killing him?

I think it now gives 2 champion bags instead of 1. But I'm not sure how that compares to what farming groups can get by skipping it.

Only 2? Pitiful.

Thats 10 ToT bags, plus misc T5 and T6 mats. Better then any other champ bag to date.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Large_Candy_Baghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Large_Candy_Bag/historical

Plus the fights are way easier too.... They take half the time to kill, the break bars are clearly scaled down, and most of the PUG killer aspects got massively toned down. It takes, at most, 2-3 people to counter their mechanics for the whole zerg. Which surprises me when PUGs can't collectively generate enough CCs to break them, or field the 1 or 2 skill effects needed "just on sheer coincidence". Necros keep getting pushed as the best Farming class this year, yet I've already seen 3 large groups fail Lich due to a lack of errant boon strip...... how is that even possible when everything a Scourge does is both AOE and Boon strip?!?!?! A couple of reflect walls is enough to tackle Viscount.... and AOE Healing IS a lot more prevalent this year, yet people scatter/cloud during the fight, and end up getting punted across the map from ICCCBMs.

Out of the bosses, Steve is still the only real threat... and his damage is noticeably lower. I don't know if its because they scaled him down, or if its the new slew of barriers, but the downed rate of his attacks are well below half compared to previous years.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:The patch notes mentioned reducing his health and increasing rewards but people are still refusing to fight him, saying that the fight isn't worth doing even as a once a day.I know this is incredibly minor, but I wish they would do more to make him considered worthwhile to do.they could always lower the loot from everything else in the lab.

seriously though... why is it of concern to you? Join/start an "all doors" squad.... there are plenty.

@ancientoak.4258 said:Its quite sad that effieciency farmers (who always take the easy way) dictate what content will be done or not. It used to be done regularly in the earlier days (all 3 bosses). I hope i will walk into a more oldschool group who also plays for fun/challenge when i get to doing the halloween events. I always wonder why those people play at all, only busy with farming loot all the day, whats the fun in that.

There's plenty of groups who do fight them. I always look for groups that fight the bosses and I've not had any trouble finding ones to join this year.

The biggest source of frustration for me (as someone who wants to join a specific type of group) is that so many don't specify, they just say 'lab farm' and whilst I could join one and wait to see if it's right for me I'd rather join one that's more specific and avoid both the disappointment if they're skipping bosses and arguments within the group about whether they should or shouldn't fight them, because they're equally likely to attract someone hoping for a speed farming group who will be disappointed if we do fight the bosses.

Like I said there's more than enough groups who do specify that I've always been able to find one with space, but it's frustrating to have to ignore so many just because I don't know what they're doing.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I always look for groups that do all bosses and every time I tell people you can stand in the candy pools to reflect his attacks. Almost every time I get people saying they didn't know that.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe because it looks like something the boss is creating players think they should avoid it?

I didn't know that, and " it looks like something the boss is creating players think they should avoid it" is exactly why I avoid it. Boss isn't a problem for me as I just dodge his attacks (helps that I'm on a DD).

I'm not going to start in on a whole 'game shouldn't hold your hand argument', but the fact is, this is a festival boss that you might fight a few dozen times over the course of 2 weeks one timer per year. It isn't reasonable to expect every player to watch youtube vids beforehand to prepare themself, so any fight mechanics should be plainly obvious.

Saw the same thing in Ascent do Madness other day; 3 of the 5 in my group had no idea what to do or where to go, and I had only done it a few times the year before, enough to remember what happens in the 1st part of the encounter, and sufficient to remember you have to move to different platform levels to chase down the Mad King. Thankfully the boss is stupid easy to kill (practically solo'ed him on Reaper) but is yet another example of design that expects players to have done research before entering, which is fine for high level / end game content like T4 Fractals / CMs and Raids, but out of line for festival events.