New Skyscale skin?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't find a suggestions tab, but I'm curious. Seeing as how we now know they're willing to create new skeletons for mounts (thank you deer-jackal) and with the new Christmas special coming up for the HTTYD series, what would everyone think if they made a Nightfury/Lightfury/Nightlight skin for the Skyscale as a promotional collab or event? The skeletons aren't drastically different and they both have the same movement pattern, so animations aren't an issue.

I understand that ArenaNet would have to get in a partnership with Dreamworks and all the legal stuff that'd have to go down for this to happen, but other companies have done things like this and c'mon who wouldn't want to fly around Tyria on their own Nightfury? Just some food for thought

@Randulf.7614 said:Not sure I approve of a diff licence in the World of Tyria. The game has lost of its artistic individuality as it is, I think this would be a step too far. Isn't HTTYD a kids thing anyway?

Not sure really its worth the hassle for Anet or much gain for Dreamworks either

So much this. Its a shame theyve moved away from it too :(

@Randulf.7614 said:Not sure I approve of a diff licence in the World of Tyria. The game has lost a lot of its artistic individuality as it is, I think this would be a step too far. Isn't HTTYD a kids thing anyway?

Not sure really its worth the hassle for Anet or much gain for Dreamworks either

It’s kid friendly but honestly the plot gets so deep and it tackles more mature concepts that most tv these days. I can go on for a long time about its greatness but in essence, you must not have watched them to just call it a kids series

I LOVE the HTTYD franchise and would quite honestly pay more for a Nightfury Skin than an entire expansion. Maybe even hundreds of dollars (not that I have that much money at a given time but I’d still buy it as soon as possible at that price).

That said, it would be pretty weird for them to add something from another franchise. Not only is licensing potentially a nightmare, but it would stick out as the one thing to have really no lore in this world (unless, if licensing is worked out, they could add them in the word somewhere?!)

@willowstar.4750 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:The game has lost a lot of its artistic individuality as it is, I think this would be a step too far. Isn't HTTYD a kids thing anyway?

I dunno man I still come on because the game has so much artistic in to it. And you'd be surprised how many animations are more geared towards young adults nowadays

Still a drop in the bucket compared to ones aimed at selling toys to kids. Pop Culture is kind of Derivative enough as is.... but the issue with cross brand promotions is this dilution effect where brands start to mesh together, and eventually get overtaken by the strongest (ie makes the most money) ones. I call it the Minion Parable. Its a thought experiment where you introduce Illumination's "Minions" into your universe, and consider how long it will take for everything else to become irrelevant in their presence.

If we want to talk more recently.... Gears of War and Terminator. While neat as an idea, it rapidly breaks the internal consistency of the universe. A literal aberration. The reason Fortnite could get away with this, where as Gears can't, is largely drawn from Fortnite embodying Pop Culture as a concept. The character designs don't have any real substantial integration or logic to the world they inhabit, or to the flow of the game; thus they make a great canvas for personal expression, and acting as an extension of social media, social interaction, and endless marketing opportunities. Perhaps a better way to put it is the game is designed to not require they fit to specific theme, and creating value from the chaos.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Not sure I approve of a diff licence in the World of Tyria. The game has lost of its artistic individuality as it is, [...]

So much this. Its a shame theyve moved away from it too :(

True. They should never have started to mix strange styles into this classic fantasy world, like sci-fi designs or modern contemporary elements, or manga stuff. :/

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Not sure I approve of a diff licence in the World of Tyria. The game has lost a lot of its artistic individuality as it is, I think this would be a step too far. Isn't HTTYD a kids thing anyway?

It’s kid friendly but honestly the plot gets so deep and it tackles more mature concepts that most tv these days. I can go on for a long time about its greatness but in essence, you must not have watched them to just call it a kids series

I have not seen them. Any knowledge I have comes from where the books were located in my old shop

It's a kids thing but I know a lot of adults who like the movies, and at least one who likes the books. (He tried to work various references into a presentation about the Green Dragon environmental certification scheme, which didn't really work, especially because I don't think anyone else in the room, except me, knew what he was going on about.)

However I agree that it wouldn't be worth the hassle of trying to get permission to use a character from another franchise. And what happens if they lose that licence? Would everyone who bought the skin have it removed from their account? Or changed into something else?

If they did want to do it I think a better approach would be something like the armadillo skin for the roller beetle - it's clearly not a hedgehog (it's not even an armadillo, it's a pangolin) but it's close enough that players who want to can dye it blue and zoom around the world with their Sonic the Hedgehog mount and Sega doesn't need to have a say in it.

So if Anet did want to give us a nightfury skin (or lightfury) they could make a skyscale with smoother skin, 4 short backwards facing horns and a fanned tail, call it something else and leave it to players to dye it black or white if they want to.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I have not seen them. Any knowledge I have comes from where the books were located in my old shop

The books were pretty good too as far as I remember but the series is quite different. Aside from some character names and traits there’s not a lot they have in common

I only oppose this due to the obvious art style differences...

The day Anet starts adding in mount skins that look like anime characters or cartoons that are completely out of place is the day I stop buying skins.

We've got a lot of strange skins in the game atm.. most of them premium ones, but all of them fit with the games artistic style.. adding something like Toothless or a Moogle etc would be really immersion breaking for me and I'd probably flip flop and start nagging for an option to hide other peoples mount skins.

There's a lot more they can do with mount skins.. personally i'm hoping to see a wingless Chinese style Dragon skin for the Skyscale at some point, that would be pretty awesome.