Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Earth Traitline is in need of buffs


Stallic.2397

Recommended Posts

Many core traitlines received changes in the last year’s balance patch. It’s time to bring Earth up to par. Water has received damage buffs, increased sustain, and tremendous overall flexibility and if anyone had to choose, 9 times out of 10, they’re picking Water for sustain instead of Earth. It’s time to change that.

Stone Flesh-Receive 10% less damage from foes who are bleeding.Receiving damage reduction in only one element is absurd. To initiate bleeding, an Ele must attune to Earth frequently, but at least they’re not chained to it.

Elemental Shielding- Protection lasts for the duration of the Aura (4 sec).Is 4 seconds of protection really game breaking? I’m honestly shocked this hasn’t been changed already.

Serrated Stones- Increased damage from 5% to 7%.Nearly every single trait in GW2 involving increased damage via conditions has a baseline of 7%. If not 10%!

Earth’s Embrace- Cast Armor of Earth while struck below a health threshold of 33%. 1 sec stability now pulses for its duration. Cooldown reduced to 60sec.This suggestion is moderate, compared to Emergency Elixir for Engineer, which grants 3k barrier and protection, every 40 sec. Armor of Earth only grants two boons, and yet Anet is treating it as if it grants invulnerability.

Earthen Blast- Triggers 1 stack of bleeding for 10 sec as well as its previous effects.Similar to Electric discharge and vulnerability

Rock Solid- Grant Stability to allies when attuning to a new element. Cooldown of 10 sec. Whenever you apply stability to yourself, apply Tectonic Shift for its duration.Tectonic Shift: Gain Barrier every second. Never heard of it? It’s a mechanic no Ele uses because conjures are obsolete, especially earth shield. But barrier should be implemented in the Earth Traitline. Tectonic Shift is already a Core Ele mechanic. It makes sense.Also, Stability should not be chained to Earth. The cooldown can be debated, but the mechanic shouldn’t.

Written in Stone- Upon activating a signet, apply Tectonic Shift to yourself in addition to its previous effects.If you think this is OP, please look up other signet traits on other professions. Examples: Perfect Inscriptions, Signet Mastery, Signet of Suffering.

Stone Heart- I wanna remove the Earth attuned component, but have no idea how without nerfing it or overpowering it.

With these changes, Earth now has barrier application, better sources of stability, and improved damage reduction across all 4 elements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Stallic.2397 said:Many core traitlines received changes in the last year’s balance patch. It’s time to bring Earth up to par. Water has received damage buffs, increased sustain, and tremendous overall flexibility and if anyone had to choose, 9 times out of 10, they’re picking Water for sustain instead of Earth. It’s time to change that.

Stone Flesh-Receive 10% less damage from foes who are bleeding.Receiving damage reduction in only one element is absurd. To initiate bleeding, an Ele must attune to Earth frequently, but at least they’re not chained to it.

Elemental Shielding- Protection lasts for the duration of the Aura (4 sec).Is 4 seconds of protection really game breaking? I’m honestly shocked this hasn’t been changed already.

Serrated Stones- Increased bleeding from 5% to 7%.Nearly every single trait in GW2 involving increased damage via conditions has a baseline of 7%. If not 10%!

Earth’s Embrace- Cast Armor of Earth while struck below a health threshold of 33%. 1 sec stability now pulses for its duration. Cooldown reduced to 60sec.This suggestion is moderate, compared to Emergency Elixir for Engineer, which grants 3k barrier and protection, every 40 sec. Armor of Earth only grants two boons, and yet Anet is treating it as if it grants invulnerability.

Earthen Blast- Triggers 1 stack of bleeding for 10 sec as well its previous effects.Similar to Electric discharge and vulnerability

Rock Solid- Grant Stability to allies when attuning to a new element. Cooldown of 10 sec. Whenever you apply stability to yourself, apply Tectonic Shift for its duration.Tectonic Shift: Gain Barrier every second. Never heard of it? It’s a mechanic no Ele uses because conjures are obsolete, especially earth shield. Barrier should be implemented in the Earth Traitline. Tectonic Shift is already a Core Ele mechanic. It makes sense.Also, Stability should not be chained to Earth. The cooldown can be debated, but the mechanic shouldn’t.

Written in Stone- Upon activating a signet, apply Tectonic Shift to yourself in addition to its previous effects.If you think this is OP, please look up other signet traits on other professions. Examples: Perfect Inscriptions, Signet Mastery, Signet of Suffering.

Stone Heart- I wanna remove the Earth attuned component, but have no idea how without nerfing it or overpowering it.

With these changes, Earth now has barrier application, better sources of stability, and improved damage reduction across all 4 elements.

Yes, I like those changes, but I think the Earth trait-line should be more condition-focused. I want to see some Torment in there and more Bleeding involved, because the developers are all about diversity now, yet the Elementalist hardly has that in a dueling/roaming aspect. I've been using a condition build while doing the latter for many years now, but I can only do so much with Burning and Bleeding—not to mention Sigil of Doom and Geomancy—at my disposal. Now with the removal of Swiftness in the Tempest trait-line, I feel somewhat useless when being kited out of my damaging skills.

All in all, bring conditions to the Earth trait-line, so that other players can experience another sort of build, which they can hopefully enjoy many times over. But don't destroy the main traits we have, like Written in Stone, Geomancer's Training and Elemental Shielding. I need those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have that same feeling. Even prior to balance update, water was already better than earth.Even if you camp earth, I'm pretty sure water is still better (beside stone heart).Each time I want to trait earth, I end up with water...Like you said, Written in Stone is weak. CD reduction is nice, but ele signet passives are not great, so it doesn't really matter to keep passive working. This trait would have been great with warrior signts (power and precision ones).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:I have that same feeling. Even prior to balance update, water was already better than earth.Even if you camp earth, I'm pretty sure water is still better (beside stone heart).Each time I want to trait earth, I end up with water...Like you said, Written in Stone is weak. CD reduction is nice, but ele signet passives are not great, so it doesn't really matter to keep passive working. This trait would have been great with warrior signts (power and precision ones).

I agree, Written in Stone has a very hard time competing with Diamond Skin and Stone Heart. Adding barrier is at the very least, something that can add value to the trait without pushing it over the edge.

Edit to original post. Tectonic Shift applied by Written in Stone lasts 3 seconds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Serrated stones should grant 10% condi damage/duration against bleeding targets. I dont see any point of direct damage modifiers in earth.

  • Stone heart can be tectonic shift application (10-15 sec cd) when being crit while not attuned to earth.

  • IMO signets should apply short stability on cast instead of tectonic shift or some kind of offensive buff if any, trait is already pretty good on condi builds and you'd never want it in bruiser/tank ones because other 2 give much better defense bonuses. 2 GM traits that focus on self defense is even too much, diamond skin can also be reworked into some kind of support trait like barrier share (like engi shares incoming heals with others). Ele doesnt need condi cleanse in every spec.

Ideally every elemental core spec should have traits focused on offense, utility, support and defense (with some effects merging into one like smothering auras being defense+support for example). That way you form spec in 3 rows where first 2 rows provide main focus of the spec (fire = power+condi damage, air = mobility+burst damage, water = support+vulnerability, earth = condi+defense), while last row provide some kind of utility that's not a part of previous 2 rows. Having no offensive GM water trait (while adept and master do) is bad, having 3 air GM traits focused on damage is bad etc. They did this with PoF specs, but they didnt go back and try to do the same with old ones.

For example: top row of water spec should focus on healing (auras, better effects on water based skills etc), middle one on vulnerability/chill (improved effects on ice based skills) and bottom one could have cleanses, random trait procs, utility skill related traits etc. Having different traits that do more or less the same thing is counter productive. That should be the case with different specs (lets say both fire and water spec have about same % of dmg modifiers so you can choose whichever you want to use based on situation/preference), but it shouldnt be a part of the same spec.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@steki.1478 said:

  • Serrated stones should grant 10% condi damage/duration against bleeding targets. I dont see any point of direct damage modifiers in earth.

  • Stone heart can be tectonic shift application (10-15 sec cd) when being crit while not attuned to earth.

  • IMO signets should apply short stability on cast instead of tectonic shift or some kind of offensive buff if any, trait is already pretty good on condi builds and you'd never want it in bruiser/tank ones because other 2 give much better defense bonuses. 2 GM traits that focus on self defense is even too much, diamond skin can also be reworked into some kind of support trait like barrier share (like engi shares incoming heals with others). Ele doesnt need condi cleanse in every spec.

Ideally every elemental core spec should have traits focused on offense, utility, support and defense (with some effects merging into one like smothering auras being defense+support for example). That way you form spec in 3 rows where first 2 rows provide main focus of the spec (fire = power+condi damage, air = mobility+burst damage, water = support+vulnerability, earth = condi+defense), while last row provide some kind of utility that's not a part of previous 2 rows. Having no offensive GM water trait (while adept and master do) is bad, having 3 air GM traits focused on damage is bad etc. They did this with PoF specs, but they didnt go back and try to do the same with old ones.

For example: top row of water spec should focus on healing (auras, better effects on water based skills etc), middle one on vulnerability/chill (improved effects on ice based skills) and bottom one could have cleanses, random trait procs, utility skill related traits etc. Having different traits that do more or less the same thing is counter productive. That should be the case with different specs (lets say both fire and water spec have about same % of dmg modifiers so you can choose whichever you want to use based on situation/preference), but it shouldnt be a part of the same spec.

Also to add to this, traits should always have some kind of synergy with another trait in a different traitline.

Synergy is;

Ability A benefits from taking ability BAbility B benefits from taking ability CAbility C benefits from taking ability A

Any arrangement of the above is a synergy, and that is severely lacking on ele.

An example of a well made synergy would be;

Stone heart- grants barrier upon critical hit.Flow like Water - barrier’s applied to you apply to nearby alliesLucid Singularity- allies effected by barriers you apply receive -10% damage from critical hits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@steki.1478 said:

  • Serrated stones should grant 10% condi damage/duration against bleeding targets. I dont see any point of direct damage modifiers in earth.

  • Stone heart can be tectonic shift application (10-15 sec cd) when being crit while not attuned to earth.

  • IMO signets should apply short stability on cast instead of tectonic shift or some kind of offensive buff if any, trait is already pretty good on condi builds and you'd never want it in bruiser/tank ones because other 2 give much better defense bonuses. 2 GM traits that focus on self defense is even too much, diamond skin can also be reworked into some kind of support trait like barrier share (like engi shares incoming heals with others). Ele doesnt need condi cleanse in every spec.

I think these are good suggestions. Stone heart and written in stone are great ideas. Stability and barrier should have more access in Earth thanit currently does.

I do think diamond skin is a strong trait, but doesn't cover condi enough, forcing the ele to take further traits/utilities for cleanse. If stone heart grants barrier, diamond skin can apply 2 sec of resistance (10-15sec CD) when struck with conditions below the health threshold: 75%. In addition to its previous effects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Each traitline provides buffs based upon attunement swapping. Earth's buffs are just lacking in effectiveness. This wouldn't add more but buff what's already available.

Stability can't be traited in any other core traitline. It wouldn't be random. If every suggested buff was in use, you could get armor of earth every 40 sec and stability with every signet use, which doesn't lose its passive value.Edit: Every ten seconds means every other attunement, which is how the old version worked anyway. You had to attune in and out of Earth to get the boon. The new way allows boon access in any attunement.

That's a lot of consistent stability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...