Using account bound gear across characters is not possible with templates?

Agrippa.1693

I wonder if there's going to be a way that you can easily use Legendary and Ascended gear across multiple characters once the new template system is going to be implemented. they are account bound after all, but the gear templates are character bound. Is there shared equipment storage similar to the shared inventory slots available? or is this something that ANet is still looking into?

Why would it work any differently than it does now? An equipment storage slot means it will be on that character and you can remove it and move it to another character, which you have to do manually just as you do now. They don't work like shared inventory slots and weren't advertised as such. On top of that, you can't use gear straight from shared inventory slots since they would still need to be equipped, so no. Not possible and probably never will be.

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:I wonder if there's going to be a way that you can easily use Legendary and Ascended gear across multiple characters once the new template system is going to be implemented.

Is it going to be possible? Of course!Easily, though? No. You will destroy a loadout each time you remove items from it, as the information is not saved in a template. You will have to redo it each time as if you weren't using a templates system at all (i.e., like it's been before).

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:I wonder if there's going to be a way that you can easily use Legendary and Ascended gear across multiple characters once the new template system is going to be implemented. they are account bound after all, but the gear templates are character bound. Is there shared equipment storage similar to the shared inventory slots available? or is this something that ANet is still looking into?As far as I know there is no publicly available information if ANet is looking into creating shared equipment slots for legendary gear. The original motivation to make ascended and legendary gear account bound (it used to be soulbound in the beginning) as far as I know was not to move gear between characters each time you change characters, but rather to allow you to salvage/reuse the gear if for some reason you stopped playing/deleted the character that used said gear.

Frequent switching/sharing of gear between characters is something players came up with. Personally I don't expect the game to come up with ways to trivialize gear-sharing across characters, as gearing up a character is one of the more involved/time-consuming activities in this game, especially if you are going the way of ascended and legendary gear. Plus ascended gear is a major part of the rewards of instanced pve endgame (fractals, raids). Easily accessible gear-sharing across the account would make those rewards even more useless than they already are for those who play that kind of content a lot.

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:I wonder if there's going to be a way that you can easily use Legendary and Ascended gear across multiple characters once the new template system is going to be implemented. they are account bound after all, but the gear templates are character bound. Is there shared equipment storage similar to the shared inventory slots available? or is this something that ANet is still looking into?

If I had to bet, I'd say no.Reasoning:1) if the gear is on one character it'll stay on that one character.2)This appears to be directly based on the template system from GW1 and weapons/gear couldn't migrate amongst characters there.

So, once you create that template, that's that.

There is no concrete information about this yet, but logically one would be able to pull equipment from a shared slot as long as that item was in it to be equipped.

Current equipment systems recognize equippables from shared slots; there is no reason to believe this will change.

You cannot equip the same item to multiple characters at the same time. (But you can equip identical items)

@"Trise.2865" said:There is no concrete information about this yet, but logically one would be able to pull equipment from a shared slot as long as that item was in it to be equipped.

Current equipment systems recognize equippables from shared slots; there is no reason to believe this will change.

You cannot equip the same item to multiple characters at the same time. (But you can equip identical items)

Yes there is. Dev posts on Reddit almost a month ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/dbhj8j/build_templates_coming_next_month/f21ugws/

While build templates can be linked, equipment templates cannot, since they rely on actual items.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/dbhj8j/build_templates_coming_next_month/f220ib2/

Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a good solution for sharing equipment templates between characters, because we didn't want players to accidentally break equipment templates on one character by removing a piece of equipment on another.

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:It appears that this new system is going to be useless to those of us who move equipment around between characters. That ok, not everything they do is good for everyone and its not something we haven't had to do for years (unless you're someone who used that arc stuff).

It would still be useless even if you could share equipment templates between characters. As explained by a dev (see my post above you), it would break equipment templates on characters the gear is removed from. After switching the gear back to a character you would have to re-equip the gear to save the template again anyway. From the sounds of things, the only benefit of sharing gear templates would be to transfer items between characters without having place it in the bank or account shared inventory slots first. That is assuming it doesn't completely break something in the game, which could be a reason why they weren't able to implement it.

@Charrbeque.8729 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:
There is no concrete information about this yet
, but logically one would be able to pull equipment from a shared slot as long as that item was in it to be equipped.

While build templates can be linked, equipment templates cannot,
since they rely on actual items

Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a good solution for sharing equipment templates between characters, because we didn't want players to accidentally break equipment templates on one character by removing a piece of equipment on another.

You're talking about template transferring, the transition or copying of one gear template to another character. He and I are talking about templates on different characters referencing the same item, if the item were to be made available to both, which IS possible and HAS NOT been addressed.

@Trise.2865 said:

There is no concrete information about this yet
, but logically one would be able to pull equipment from a shared slot as long as that item was in it to be equipped.

While build templates can be linked, equipment templates cannot,
since they rely on actual items

You're talking about template transferring, the transition or copying of one gear template to another character. He and I are talking about templates on different characters referencing the same item, if the item were to be made available to both, which IS possible and HAS NOT been addressed.

They did address it, as I pointed out above: they couldn't find a solution to being able to transfer gear templates between characters. I'm sure if they find a way later on without breaking things they'll do it.

But you have to take into consideration: you would probably still need to manually transfer the gear between characters and have it in your inventory for it to load into the template slots. You can't just reference gear equipped on another character. What you're suggesting would be to basically duplicate gear across characters.

The gear template system is just fundamentally flawed. Any change to loadout destroys the template and gear has to be removed from template in order to share it. The system needs a save button to apply changes to template but the current design makes this quite complicated. It was intentionally gimped to monetize it better.

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:It appears that this new system is going to be useless to those of us who move equipment around between characters. That ok, not everything they do is good for everyone and its not something we haven't had to do for years (unless you're someone who used that arc stuff).

As I understand it sharing equipment between characters will work exactly the same as it does now. You pull it out of an equipment slot, put it in a shared inventory slot or the bank, withdraw it on the other character and equip it. We're not gaining anything with the new system, but not losing anything either.

@Danikat.8537 said:As I understand it sharing equipment between characters will work exactly the same as it does now.

Exactly. So people with better gear that is exchangeable between characters will have to redo their templates/loadouts each time they swap something around between their chars, while others will not. You call that QoL?

If gear templates were saved properly and could be loaded to avoid the manual hassle, that would be true QoL. It's a basic function that is possible to implement, as proven by a third party tool. The way it is, you get punished for having better quality equipment and disencouraged to share between chars (I don't have to, I have all my chars fully equipped, but most people don't and will want to be able to share equipment without having to redo several loadouts or go through their inventory, all loadouts, as well as the equipment storage when looking for an item).

@Danikat.8537 said:

As I understand it sharing equipment between characters will work exactly the same as it does now. You pull it out of an equipment slot, put it in a shared inventory slot or the bank, withdraw it on the other character and equip it. We're not gaining anything with the new system, but not losing anything either.

Is this entirely true? As in every occasion? I mean, maybe you have to select an equipment tab first (one more step). Or a different question: does doubleclick from (shared) inventory still work? Etc. I've got a feeling that not a lot will change, but it will also not be exactly the same in all occasions. And if it is indeed not the same, it will always be a negative change: read: more user clicks/selects/time needed.

@Agrippa Oculus.3726 said:

@"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:It appears that this new system is going to be useless to those of us who move equipment around between characters. That ok, not everything they do is good for everyone and its not something we haven't had to do for years (unless you're someone who used that arc stuff).

Is this entirely true? As in every occasion? I mean, maybe you have to select an equipment
tab
first (one more step).Yes, you will have to select a different tab first, if the gear you;re looking for is not in an active tab. Moreover, from what i understood, if the gear will be linked to another tab, to remove it to inventory, you would need to right-click on it and select "unlink from templates" first.

Or a different question: does doubleclick from (shared) inventory still work?See above.Etc. I've got a feeling that not a lot will change, but it will also not be
exactly
the same in all occasions. And if it is indeed not the same, it will always be a negative change: read: more user clicks/selects/time needed.Precisely. the system will add additional steps you might need to take when changing an equipment the old way.