Are guilds dead? Do veterans still play the game?

A lot of people have left over the years, but there will always be some who stick around. Gw2 is by no means a high population game, but it isnt completely empty. Wvw has lost a lot of guilds recently, i dont think ive ever seen more than a couple pvp guilds who look for new players, there are probably still a bunch of active pve guilds around.

Guilds are only necessary for raids, organized wvw groups, and higher trading techniques. Everything else can easily be organized through contacts lists and the LFG.

If you want to find the remaining guilds who are actually active with real purpose, you've got to get involved in raids, wvw, trading guilds. Everything else is contacts/LFG nowadays.

Pretty much sums it up.

I am a veteran player from GW 1 days. I was in one the largest and most recognized guilds in it. Most if not all our members made the move over to GW 2.I can say with 100% accuracy damn near ALL of those players stopped playing GW2 about 6 months after it's release. The Guild still exists and I am still a member within GW2 but not one person in it logs in with any regularity. When/if they do it's only for a day or 2 after a new Patch of actual playable content is added. than they are gone again for months...There is no need at ALL for Guilds in a game called GUILD Wars. I pretty sure most of this games population is of the free to play players, Not those whom made the original purchases, but I'm sure Anet won't provide stats disproving that.This game would benefit from a more realistic Title such as... Collection Wars, Grind Wars, Cosmetic Wars, I prefer Mundane Wars...

My guild made the transition from GW1 and remains active with members from around the world. We do missions (2 sessions for people in different timezones) twice a week. Although there has been a gradual decline in active members over the years, there are still several that login daily, and whenever I play there are usually several guild members online.

@Dante.1508 said:They aren't dead, but its very different to what it was at release... The social side has evaporated and everyone seems to be forced into Discord...

I hate Discord.. So much dramas and backstabbing there, epeening, kitten memes.. So i mostly Solo quietly these days..

I hate to inform you of this, but the problem is probably the people you hang around with, not discord.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@Dante.1508 said:They aren't dead, but its very different to what it was at release... The social side has evaporated and everyone seems to be forced into Discord...

I hate Discord.. So much dramas and backstabbing there, epeening, kitten memes.. So i mostly Solo quietly these days..

I hate to inform you of this, but the problem is probably the people you hang around with, not discord.

Its always the same with multiple groups and multiple discords.. Its just not people i hang with its the majority of modern generations.

@Dante.1508 said:

Its always the same with multiple groups and multiple discords.. Its just not people i hang with its the majority of modern generations.

Ah yes, the "kids these days" rebuttal.

@Dante.1508 said:

See most of the people in my guild are older and we don't really tolerate nonsense on discord. A certain basic level of decorum/respect has existed for a long time and anyone who breaks the peace is going to get told off and/or banned. Not every guild is filled with 17 year olds.

I'm a veteran playing since beta. I never took a break from the game. Even without a break, I can confirm that the game has changed enormously. I will not comment of what I find good and bad between now and before. It's not the point. Just, what I want to say is that I'm in a guild existing since launch, active, with 490+ members, and we have fun every day. We use discord both as voice communication system (WvW, raids, guild missions, simple talks, ...) and as a forum, and there is no toxicity there at all. Therefore, for me, the situation described by OP is quite surprising. My experience is totally different.

I would suggest OP to find a nice guild in order to be again within a friendly environment. :)

The better you get at this game the more miserable you become. That also applies to the guilds you are win. Most people are know are tired of getting ignored by this company and moved on with their time and passion to some other game. God forbid trying to be the best in Guild Wars, you might realize how this game truly is.

Actually Gw2 don't support guilds at all. Most people don't want to join guilds here, because its pointless for them. Every content is possible to do with pugs. And people prefer to play whenever they want to, rather than fit their free time to guild events.

Most guilds are useless and fake. Those "guilds" may seem active (because u can see some members online there). But their members don't know each others etc, etc. Its full of random people. After all everyone is playing solo in these guilds.

Of course there's still some real guilds in this game. But its very rare. If u compare it to other big mmorpgs.

I've been playing since beta and still active daily. My guild is also active, we often recruit new players. It's totally normal that people come and go over time. Most veterans who quit the game are raiders because they do not get enough content, sadly. But as an open world player, I have nothing to complain about besides map nerfs (RIP Istan, I miss you). :tongue: I'm currently working on my 7th map completion in my own pace. I can understand why hardcore players want to leave, though. GW2 is too casual.

@Vayne.8563 said:

See most of the people in my guild are older and we don't really tolerate nonsense on discord. A certain basic level of decorum/respect has existed for a long time and anyone who breaks the peace is going to get told off and/or banned. Not every guild is filled with 17 year olds.

They aren't 17 year olds they are 30-40 year old that act like 17 year olds... And they are everywhere. They seem to be attracted to Discord like moths to a flame.

@Dante.1508 said:

They aren't 17 year olds they are 30-40 year old that act like 17 year olds... And they are everywhere. They seem to be attracted to Discord like moths to a flame.

Guess my experience is different from yours. Might have to do with not openly recruiting most of the time.