Trypophobia Awareness and Kormir's Library

reapex.8546

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@reapex.8546 said:

@Cerioth.7062 said:I have a very weird phobia - spiderwebs and cocoons. This makes it very hard to fight canyon spiders and go through webbed areas. Nowadays I use reshade shaders to hide the webs, but sadly havent found a way to deal with some of the spider mobs in the game yet...

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, it's awesome reshade was able to help. Yeah, if there was a mod that could turn the spiders into something like devourers would be helpful. I intend to try re-shade sometime this year.

Yeah - it's awful. In a way I find this thread very therapeutic.

Most people just laugh at my phobia and ask me how do I even manage to get through my character tutorials (I mainly play charr) and stuff like that. It's been a huge struggle. In a way the webs also serve as a sensory trigger, so even seeing a glimpse of them can cause me to freeze completely. I have had to shut down my game before from the level of anxiety I get.Most nightmarish experience was going through that dwarven puzzle in Desert Highlands. Reshade doesnt hide some of the webs in there.

A devourer mod would be so good.

Some T4 fractal groups get mad at me because I cant come help with the spider boss in Deepstone... heh. Also been avoiding Twilight Arbor and not planning to run it at all anymore.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

@Cerioth.7062 said:I have a very weird phobia - spiderwebs and cocoons. This makes it very hard to fight canyon spiders and go through webbed areas. Nowadays I use reshade shaders to hide the webs, but sadly havent found a way to deal with some of the spider mobs in the game yet...

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, it's awesome reshade was able to help. Yeah, if there was a mod that could turn the spiders into something like devourers would be helpful. I intend to try re-shade sometime this year.

Yeah - it's awful. In a way I find this thread very therapeutic.Awesome, I'm glad :D.Most people just laugh at my phobiaThose people are jerks/fools, in my opinion.Most nightmarish experience was going through that dwarven puzzle in Desert Highlands. Reshade doesnt hide some of the webs in there.Yeah, there are definitely a ton of spider webs there.A devourer mod would be so good.

Also been avoiding Twilight Arbor and not planning to run it at all anymore.Does Twilight Arbor have a lot of spider webs? I haven't really paid attention to decoration because that fractal lightening is really dark for me.

@Cerioth.7062 said:Most people just laugh at my phobia and ask me how do I even manage to get through my character tutorials (I mainly play charr) and stuff like that. It's been a huge struggle. In a way the webs also serve as a sensory trigger, so even seeing a glimpse of them can cause me to freeze completely. I have had to shut down my game before from the level of anxiety I get.Most nightmarish experience was going through that dwarven puzzle in Desert Highlands. Reshade doesnt hide some of the webs in there.

A phobia can be a pretty terrible burden. I have a terrible fear of heights myself, but fortunately it only triggers in real life. I would not be able to play most games if they triggered my phobia. I've never heard of a fear of webs before.. does it relate to arachnophobia in some way?

@reapex.8546 said:

Yeah - it's awful. In a way I find this thread very therapeutic.Awesome, I'm glad :D.Most people just laugh at my phobiaThose people are jerks/fools, in my opinion.Most nightmarish experience was going through that dwarven puzzle in Desert Highlands. Reshade doesnt hide some of the webs in there.Yeah, there are definitely a ton of spider webs there.A devourer mod would be so good.

Also been avoiding Twilight Arbor and not planning to run it at all anymore.Does Twilight Arbor have a lot of spider webs? I haven't really paid attention to decoration because that fractal lightening is really dark for me.

Twilight Arbor is the dungeon and both of the normal explorable modes have some parts with webs. Tbh most of the game has webs somewhere.

@Mad Queen Malafide.7512 said:

@Cerioth.7062 said:Most people just laugh at my phobia and ask me how do I even manage to get through my character tutorials (I mainly play charr) and stuff like that. It's been a huge struggle. In a way the webs also serve as a sensory trigger, so even seeing a glimpse of them can cause me to freeze completely. I have had to shut down my game before from the level of anxiety I get.Most nightmarish experience was going through that dwarven puzzle in Desert Highlands. Reshade doesnt hide some of the webs in there.

A phobia can be a pretty terrible burden. I have a terrible fear of heights myself, but fortunately it only triggers in real life. I would not be able to play most games if they triggered my phobia. I've never heard of a fear of webs before.. does it relate to arachnophobia in some way?

No, it is not related to arachnophobia. I would be OK with spiders if they didnt make webs. The spiders that dont use web attacks do not bother me.

IRL spiders bother me but thats because I associate them with webs, not vice versa.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

Twilight Arbor is the dungeon and both of the normal explorable modes have some parts with webs. Tbh most of the game has webs somewhere.

Oops my mistake, I was thinking of Twilight Oasis fractal. Also yeah, especially the underworld like Halloween events. ><

• 2 weeks later...

@"LadyKitty.6120" said:Kitty's getting motion sickness with awful nauseous feeling if she's playing open-world stuff for any extended period (kinda limited to 30-60mins of open-world at a time) but she's kinda solved it by focusing solely on instanced content and only open-worlding for mandatory things like story and fast guild missions. So her solution is limiting the gameplay to what she can do and focusing on that and trying to keep it interesting.

Kitty also knows some people with phobias related to textures and they've solved it by using ReShade in semi-extreme settings (like almost complete darkness around the character) to deal with areas that trigger their phobias. And if there's some areas that can't be dealt with by using reshade's filters, there might be an option of calling a friend to deal with that particular thing if it's not repetitive (if you have any gaming friends nearby).For trypophobia, reshade with strong blur at further than short distance (called "depth blur" or something like that") around the character should work as long as you keep a bit of distance from offending walls. You can deactivate the reshade preset for that when not in an area with holey walls.

This vid should explain how to do basic setup on it (and look the video on this link as searching youtube might lead to another related video which would seriously trigger that particular phobia):

E: Kitty asked the friend about the shader that works well for the purpose and it's DisplayDepth.fx in ReShade.fTKFaYx.png

Thanks it worked! I'm using freestyle, it's a feature that was recently enhanced on Nvidia's graphic cards. It uses the same properties as ReShade. :-DThe image is hard to see and I probably went overboard but I'm glad the phobia is no longer freaking out. Thank you!

@Cerioth.7062 said:

No, it is not related to arachnophobia. I would be OK with spiders if they didnt make webs. The spiders that dont use web attacks do not bother me.

IRL spiders bother me but thats because I associate them with webs, not vice versa.

fTKFaYx.pngUsing reshade or Nvidia's freestyle, I think if you distort your game image, as much as I have, in web areas...it maybe less stressful on you.