Theoretical third expansion: new movement method, or just more mounts?

inb4 we're never getting a third expansion that's not the questiooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

So something I've been thinking about is that both HoT and PoF added a new mechanic to the game related to movement. Heart of Thorns introduced the glider, which helps us with navigating large jumps and negating fall damage if timed right, and Path of Fire gave us multiple mounts each with its own unique movement ability.

Let us say a third expansion comes out. While we of course would expect a massive new map, probably a new mission mechanic to replace bounties which are exclusive to Elonian maps, there might be a question of a new movement method. What do you all think? On one hand, adding a brand new movement method could be exciting in make traveling maps immersive and fun. On the other hand, you can argue that mounts have become far superior to gliding in general in most situations and that any future movement mechanic could probably just have a mount that does the same thing; and people love using mounts in MMOs, and a new expansion could simply introduce new mounts that use mastery points of the new expansion so that it can co-exist with the previous mounts, and even the rare few who could get this expansion without having PoF could still enjoy mounts.

What do you all think is better? Should ANet try to design a new movement related ability altogether like a grappling hook or something, or should they just create new mounts with new movement abilities instead? And if you have any ideas for a new movement idea like gliding or mounts, feel free to share it!

You didn't give an (other) option, so I'll point out here, the expansions technically no longer exist. Its just GW2 F2P, and GW2 because HoT and PoF were merged together and IceBrood Saga will be a Living World season. There's no "theoretical", they deliberately streamlined the game, you even have access to many of the HoT masteries in the final map of LS4, Dragonfall, which showed their intentions ahead of time.

I mean, sure, expansions haven't been ruled out, but for now, they no longer exist, you're either a free player or not.

Because of this I seriously doubt we will get anything more in regards to movement. That model is exhausted, and any expansion on it we see will just be re-using the old masteries in new maps because they were already developed enough, just underused.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:That model is exhausted,

Technically, there still is room for underwater movement masteries.But we know what Anet thinks of that content.

We're also lacking in over-the-water movement options, tbh. Just having a single mount, the Skimmer, to move over large bodies of water is effective, but nothing compared to the combinations that Raptor, Springer, Jackal, Roller Beetle, and even Skyscale have on land..

@Hannelore.8153 said:

Technically, there still is room for underwater movement masteries.But we know what Anet thinks of that content.

We're also lacking in over-the-water movement options, tbh. Just having a single mount, the Skimmer, to move over large bodies of water is effective, but nothing compared to the combinations that Raptor, Springer, Jackal, Roller Beetle, and even Skyscale have on land..

It would be cool to shoot up waterfalls like in Breath of the Wild. The mount will be a Giant Salmon. Correction, it is a Dire Salmon.

I think they've got movement pretty well covered at this point. If a third expansion does happen (or when they want to add those 'expansion style features' to the living world) I'd prefer to see them develop other aspects of the game rather than adding more movement options. I'm not sure what exactly but I'm sure there's plenty of other things in the game which could be done differently.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

The skimmer is the only dedicated over water mount, but the roller beetle can bounce over small areas of water at high speed and technically the griffon and skyscale can be used to cross it too (and gliding, if you're high enough). I'm not sure how many more options they could add for movement above the water. The skimmer fills the raptor's role there and there's no obstacles or variety of terrain to justify a jackal or springer equivalent.

Maybe if we were do get maps set right out in the open ocean and they're able to include wave physics (something very few games do) with peaks and troughs and currents pushing you in the wrong direction, making swimming or even riding a skimmer impractical they could add a mount to deal with that. Like something which can go through the waves. Of course we'd also have the option of swimming down below the surface, but I think a 'wave rider' mount could be a lot of fun. But...that's tied into the idea of water maps, which Anet seem reluctant to do, even after they re-worked under water combat.

Mounts are of limited use in combat, so they might add in some movement abilities that can be used in combat. That would be easy to unbalance, though.

I honestly more expect them to just make "no mount" areas and then give us new abilities to use on those areas. (and then, give us areas where those can't be used, either)

I couldn't vote because I wouldn't restrict a new expansion's major feature to just new movement. I'm not even sure there is space for new movement methods. It would still have to be something similarly game-changing though and yet more mounts wouldn't be that. PoF's main feature wasn't ....more gliders.

The whole discussion is moot though as they are not planning one.

There was no other option so I went with this one.

If we get a new expansion (and I hope we eventually do) there is no rule that says it has to be a new movement method. It could be any number of things added to the game. An expansion would be a good place to add player housing, new crafting disciplines, or level-able skills (like fishing)

Well with season 5 im almost positive we will get at least 1 more mount speculating from the strike instance debuff which states its too cold for all of our current mounts which come from the desert region.

That sad if a new x pack was to come i would hope it moves away from mounts and into something else. But something that can still be used in all areas of the game similarly to mounts / gliders

Oh, I forgot to mention...One ability I do think we'll see at some point (expansion or not), is a personal Waypoint. Once you set it, it's a waypoint for that character until you set it somewhere else. There may be areas where you can't set it (JPs), and I doubt it would work in most instances. Also, you'll need to revive at a normal waypoint, but then could use your personal WP to get back to a fight quicker.

I don't think they'll do movement as another expac feature (except maybe underwater, as some have said). However, an underwater mount would probably be enough for water movement for most players and that's much more likely to be released for a LW episode than an expac, especially since mounts are PoF's main feature. I do think something else, such as player housing, heroes, playable race, new profession(s), or some other non-movement related gameplay feature is much more likely as a primary expac feature at this point.