Why run as a 3+ gank squad when other teams only have solos running around ?

Sansar.1302

Title says it all.Only fun I find in this game is fights in WvW with close too even numbers (spvp used too bee fun but too few working builds there now)rly dont care if it is 40 vs 45 but 20 vs 50 or 1 vs 3 cant bee any fun on any side ?Some servers are very fun to meet, others care way way to much about structures.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sansar.1302 said:Title says it all.Only fun I find in this game is fights in WvW with close too even numbers (spvp used too bee fun but too few working builds there now)rly dont care if it is 40 vs 45 but 20 vs 50 or 1 vs 3 cant bee any fun on any side ?Some servers are very fun to meet, others care way way to much about structures.

Well, wvw is unpredictable and uneven like that sometimes. I hear spvp is even, so I think you will like that. You should go try it!

If you go 1v3 and cant beat the enemy, then you are supposed to find a friend and go 2v3 and see if you can beat them. Failing that, find 2 friends and go 3v3. And even failing that, find 3 friends and go 4v3. Etc until you beat them. Does this mean that you might find yourself in a 4v6 situation because they brought friends? Yes it does. You may need to bring more friends.

This is literally the core concept of WvW, the foundation of which the game as an MMO is built on.

Its not on the enemy to lower themselves to your standards.

@XenesisII.1540 said:When solos come in here to complain about gankers they get told to bring a friend, now they bring friends wanna tell them to come solo?Besides people want easy bags.

I think this is probably the best answer. Groups like the ones described by the op are usually -- though ofc not always -- made up of players who are unable to run alone or in smaller numbers so they bring help. I don't see it as a problem, I feel like if they have enough success with 5v1 they might one day try 4v1, etc and eventually become more capable that way . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:When solos come in here to complain about gankers they get told to bring a friend, now they bring friends wanna tell them to come solo?Besides people want easy bags.

I think this is probably the best answer. Groups like the ones described by the op are usually -- though ofc not always -- made up of players who are unable to run alone or in smaller numbers so they bring help. I don't see it as a problem, I feel like if they have enough success with 5v1 they might one day try 4v1, etc and eventually become more capable that way . . .

Mostly those kind of grps I run into are Gold or Diamond Legends, low ranks dont seam to be that afraid to die or come 3+ to defend a camp from one person.Cant see how that behaviour is any good fore a game mode with low population.

@Sansar.1302 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Mostly those kind of grps I run into are Gold or Diamond Legends, low ranks dont seam to be that afraid to die or come 3+ to defend a camp from one person.Cant see how that behaviour is any good fore a game mode with low population.

Was this happening to you at CD keep in EBG? Because I was with my guild doing this for a few hours tonight.

And you know why I sometimes enjoy doing that? Because when I'm solo, I experience the same thing. Sometimes it's nice to be on the other end shelling out the tryhardism because I'm tired of being chased across the map by small zergs and roaming guilds. Other times it's because I'm brain-AFK and chatting with friends, paying more attention to conversation than fights. Usually it's the latter because I enjoy socializing, but particularly yesterday it was the former.

Both @Justine.6351 and @Dawdler.8521 are right with their responses.

@Sansar.1302 said:Title says it all.Only fun I find in this game is fights in WvW with close too even numbers (spvp used too bee fun but too few working builds there now)rly dont care if it is 40 vs 45 but 20 vs 50 or 1 vs 3 cant bee any fun on any side ?Some servers are very fun to meet, others care way way to much about structures.

Congratulations to understanding the concept of an arms race.

Why only run solo when the other team only have 3-man squads running around (and are stealing your structures)? ;)

As far as mentality goes the fabric of the mode is complex with alot of different groups for different reasons, however, Acheron is also right. You can take the different groups and the different reasons for why they play the way they do and break them into two simple camps: Those that are actively trying to leverage numbers and those that have just picked something looking to adapt to the content and occassionally end up in situations they can't adapt to. Typically, when people try to talk about it they confused the two and assume that groups who just happened upon you but are actually looking for other kinds of content are actively looking for you. It is far more common with groups that are looking to do something specific but just take on any content they can find while they look.

@Sansar.1302 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

If you want balanced numbers in fights then go to spvp. Pointless to complain about uneven fights in a realm vs realm mode.

And regarding this comment on “behaviour”. Nobody cares about what you feel should happen, or your preferred set of engagement rules. The mode was coded for potentially hundreds of players to run around maps doing stuff, and was designed to be an unpredictable pvp mode. Not for even numbers to be present at every fight.

@Acheron.4731 said:I think there are two groups of people that do that:

1. those practicing synergy and as Justine said, waiting for others to grp up
  2. those that are bored with the game and like to troll or make people rage-quit

You missed one. My havoc squad does this from time to time, we look for big zerg vs zerg battles for keeps and then try to figure out and cut off the respawn/resupply line for the enemy Zerg so they (hopefully) can’t keep going perpetually, but end up losing by attrition if nothing else. We also don’t cut people off at the respawn point, but up near the battle so we are directly supporting the larger group. It usually works for a while and then solos wise up and come in their own big group and wipe us and we go back and the whole thing starts over again if the battle isn’t already done. I consider this a legitimate tactic without intent to make people ragequit, just give up on that battle and let our server win :-)

@"Sansar.1302" said:Title says it all.Some servers are very fun to meet, others care way way to much about structures.

I don't quite get what are you complaining about, concerning "structures".3-5 people who move together are the most powerful and efficient way to get map superiority and "care about structures", which are plenty in WvW.If you want even fights, pure PvP and skill vs. skill, go for SPvP? A WvW cornerstone for me is that there are "structures" on the map you can and do fight over.

If you talk about three people relentlessly killing people going solo for things like veterans, sentinels, monuments or daily camp caps, than those players are just about easy kills. They do not want fair fights, just wipe solo players and shoo them off to another map area or another map completely. That's what I would define "ganking" - Causing the most frustration with your enemy with the least individual risk for yourself. This includes builds designed for that purpose (like perma stealth, sniping from an elevated position etc.) and utilizing "broken" builds or skills (ghost trapper, from 2017).

Small parties that go for "structures" should be the main thing in WvW, and not blobbing/zerging across a map. They provide the opportunities for small skirmishes on the open battlefield, when attacking or defending a tower etc. They can strike together when quickness is needed (e.g. when taking a tower close to an enemy spawning point) or branch out to quickly flip objectives in a larger area (e.g. one flips sentries, one flips a camp and two start building a catapult at a tower, that gets completed when the "flippers" return and the initial builder go to resupply at the camp).Of course you can't kill them alone, you need to ask for help in map/team chat, observe their movement, try to catch them off guard, when they split up or resupply. Fighting as a small team or vs. a small team demands the highest tactical skill, strategic knowledge and individual combat abilities in WvW. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to actually encourage that play style?

@Sansar.1302 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

My point was I'd much rather see ppl who are willing to fight 5v1 or 3v1 than unwilling to fight at all, which is a much more substantial problem . . .

@Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:I think there are two groups of people that do that:
  1. those practicing synergy and as Justine said, waiting for others to grp up
  2. those that are bored with the game and like to troll or make people rage-quit

You missed one. My havoc squad does this from time to time, we look for big zerg vs zerg battles for keeps and then try to figure out and cut off the respawn/resupply line for the enemy Zerg so they (hopefully) can’t keep going perpetually, but end up losing by attrition if nothing else. We also don’t cut people off at the respawn point, but up near the battle so we are directly supporting the larger group. It usually works for a while and then solos wise up and come in their own big group and wipe us and we go back and the whole thing starts over again if the battle isn’t already done. I consider this a legitimate tactic without intent to make people ragequit, just give up on that battle and let our server win :-)

oof, I forgot about that.Yes, you have probably kept me from getting to my precious Bay many 'o times :)I always say to myself...maybe they won't notice me..........ugh, respawn.

@Sansar.1302 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

Mostly those kind of grps I run into are Gold or Diamond Legends, low ranks dont seam to be that afraid to die or come 3+ to defend a camp from one person.Cant see how that behaviour is any good fore a game mode with low population.These are usually people that exchanged their real life for wvw. You find them for 12 hours a day in the game for the last 7 years. They run cheese builds that don't exist in pvp because of skill splittings and so are overpowered for smallscale encounters. They don't participate in the game mode (flipping and defending structures or camps, not even scouting). They only defend a camp or tower if they can get easy kills there, not for the war score.

They are just trolling and ganking at the same spots every week (usually the moment SM goes T3 for their server they show up and start to gank players leaving their keep). Every server has quite a few of them. Best thing is to feel pity for them and thank anet for the mount.

Most fights happen in and around structures, whether they are being attacked or defended. Based on this alone, every player's mindset should be based in and around attacking and defending structures.

As far as roamers or gank squads go, there are only a few really good roamers left, and you aren't beating them 1v1 or even 3v1 or 5v1, they'll still beat you and your group anyway.

In the end, it's all about wanting the easy fights with no interest in competition. We've seen this with many fight groups that avoid even numbers (even against pug groups), only to leave the map to jump on much smaller groups.