Toughness and bruisers for wvw.

Anthony.7630

This post is my opinion on toughness and bruiser builds.

Based on the wiki (gw2 wiki)Toughness has to reduce damage from a physical hit -

Physical hits use (weapon strenght)(power)(skill coefficient)(base damage)

That's a lot of things increasing damage. 4 damage modifiers to 1 armor physical damage reduction. Then you add vulnerability / damage rune % / sigil procs / critical strikes and of course... Condi damage

Furthermore ....i think toughness has heavy diminishing returns. So 2500 armor is the sweet spot and 3500 armor barely adds any additional damage reduction.

Wvw feels like damage is all that matters.

But....

We can say that boons are defensive in nature as well as offensive but aegis and stability are extremely useful. So guards and boon sharing is useful.

Also burst healing is very useful for going back up to full health.

It seems toughness is a useless stat in wvw. Maybe 500 toughness is good but not good enough to make you invincible. No amount of toughness can make you invincible against a dps build.

Bunker builds are rare in wvw and defensive (surviving) depends more on mechanics dodge rolls and proper boon usage.

I don't see a good reason why toughness should even be here. It rarely does its job.

From my testing - toughness seems to offer zero damage reduction against players and max damage against pve mobs.

Of course toughness would be OP if it was buffed and minstrels stat already makes people super tanky.

You must either go all damage OR minstrels all defense. Bruiser builds are not very viable right now for roaming and zerg builds require certain gear set ups.

Toughness is actually probably the worst stat in the game (next to ferocity) but that is normal as both physical dps and physical tankiness make up the 3 holy trinity stats.Power / precision / ferocity. Vitality / healing-power / toughness

Bruiser builds just seem so unviable right now ...its a real shame.

But any ways i hope this thread helps people who need information of toughness and defense

@Riku.4821 said:Does trailblazers or marauders count as bruiser? I was thinking about getting a set of those to start wvw haha.

Yes trailblazer anything in my book counts as a bruiser with a Fuel Air Bomb.Trailblazers on nearly anything in WvW atm would outperform most things in Marauders. It's just the nature of condi and power. Remember there is loads of power hate in this game to include toughness. While at the same time the only condi hate is resistance and condi clears.

Power also relies on three stats while condi only really need one stat to burst you down. Because ANet gave condi builds the same benefits of power builds and made condition damage, direct damage 2.0. Add into the mix with current balance most classes can reapply condition damage way way faster than, all but a few classes can clear them. Also only a few classes have access to resistance.

So with trailblazers on most classes you would get the same if not more burst damage then marauders against most of the classes in the game atm. But at the same time Trailblazers just offers much more survivability on most classes then Marauders. Also Marauders has much more sources to counter it's damage then say Trailblazers.

TL:DR Unless you are performing a dedicated role in a organized squad. I see no point to run any other gear in WvW then Trailblazer atm. ARC DPS in zerg v zerg can pretty much you that story.

Toughness isnt useless. Having 2000 toughness is effectivly half the damage on you.

The problem is that this is upset by certain classes being able to run full berserker and still be tankier than having said 2000 toughness. And PoF just made it 10x worse on the spellbreaker.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Toughness isnt useless. Having 2000 toughness is effectivly half the damage on you.

The problem is that this is upset by certain classes being able to run full berserker and still be tankier than having said 2000 toughness. And PoF just made it 10x worse on the spellbreaker.

SB needs to be tanky as fuck. Somehow they have to be able to rush into the enemy zerg and cast their elite. What else should they do in a pirate ship meta? xD

@illenos.5134 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Toughness isnt useless. Having 2000 toughness is effectivly half the damage on you.

SB needs to be tanky as kitten. Somehow they have to be able to rush into the enemy zerg and cast their elite. What else should they do in a pirate ship meta? xD

you mean, there is a niche for my full asc. soldier warri now?

Archived