All these items that give karma -- skip the item part

In PoF we're constantly getting Account Bound items that grant various amounts of Karma. I haven't been able to find any other use for them, and since they're account bound, they're not trade-able. So rather than taking up the space in our inventories, can't we just get the karma awarded directly, or let them stack with the "generic" karma vials, jugs, etc. we already get from the LW3 maps? I mean, presumably the purpose of having unidentified items was to save inventory space, but now we've got a plethora of karma items taking up inventory space. Seems very inconsistent to me.

Interesting how they know people complain about unnecessary storage clutter and yet they spend time making items like these.For the time and money they spent making items that give karma, they could've just made them go straight into wallet.People also complain about junk items and they added so much more.

They did it for two reasons that I can see.

First, there's the lore behind them. They might be minor things, but they carry part of the feeling of the area they're found in. Home made blindfolds, prayer beads, and coins with Kormir on them? It shows you that the pepople in that area tend to be religious and follow Kormir most of all. Head south and you start finding items relating to Joko instead, showing a shift in the people's attitudes. It might seem like a minor thing, but it's those minor things that can add up to good world building.

The second reason is so that you see the rewards. You might just click them away, or sell junk to the merchants with the push of a button, but you're still having to deal with them. You have to 'claim' the real reward, reminding you that you got it in the first place. If it was just straight karma or coin, many people wouldn't even realize they've gotten it, and it might feel like there's less of a reward.

@Palador.2170 said:They did it for two reasons that I can see.

First, there's the lore behind them. They might be minor things, but they carry part of the feeling of the area they're found in. Home made blindfolds, prayer beads, and coins with Kormir on them? It shows you that the pepople in that area tend to be religious and follow Kormir most of all. Head south and you start finding items relating to Joko instead, showing a shift in the people's attitudes. It might seem like a minor thing, but it's those minor things that can add up to good world building.

The second reason is so that you see the rewards. You might just click them away, or sell junk to the merchants with the push of a button, but you're still having to deal with them. You have to 'claim' the real reward, reminding you that you got it in the first place. If it was just straight karma or coin, many people wouldn't even realize they've gotten it, and it might feel like there's less of a reward.

Precisely.10/10 helpful :+1:

I don't have a problem with it. It's a way they can have add high-flavor items that are lore related in ways you don't have to keep, and there's also a big of satisfaction in using them from your inventory and seeing the bonuses. I have a bigger problem with the other forms of currency and crafting mats that don't go into the wallet or bank.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

The second reason is so that you
see
the rewards. You might just click them away, or sell junk to the merchants with the push of a button, but you're still having to deal with them. You have to 'claim' the real reward, reminding you that you got it in the first place. If it was just straight karma or coin, many people wouldn't even realize they've gotten it, and it might feel like there's less of a reward.

Precisely.10/10 helpful :+1:

They can just have them be 'autoconsume' items like the exp coins already are. You can mouse over them in the event rewards window for the lore information, and then accept them without the need to worry about having them eat up your inventory space.

the same should go for the lost pages. Its only use once gathered is to give karma, so why not just have it award karma on gathering?

I'm a bit more tolerant of the 'junk' items you get as event rewards, if only because a) there's many fewer varieties, and b) they're worth quite a chunk compared to ordinary greys. I've gotten one worth a full G recently, and those at least i could see some people choosing to stack up and then sell in bulk.

But all the karma consumables need to go, and the '255 piles of elonian trade contracts' can leave with them. make them autoconsume and stop cluttering my inventory unecessarily, we have enough new crafting materials which don't yet fit in the crafting storage at this point.

The reason the devs have always given for stuff like this is that they want it to be something you need to use to make sure players don't just "miss" it and assume they aren't getting rewards. Its not something I agree with personally, but it is what it is, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I do think the "stacks of trade contracts" need to go, though. Getting just the pure currency would be just fine, as its done like that in plenty of other maps. You don't get "stacks of ley line crystals" that you need to use, to state one example of many. All other map currencies are given passively, so I don't see why trade contracts need to be different in that regard. Heck, its even more odd that for some reason SOME trade contracts are given passively, while others are inventory stuff that needs to be used. Why the disparity between the two?

@Archranis.2375 said:In PoF we're constantly getting Account Bound items that grant various amounts of Karma. I haven't been able to find any other use for them, and since they're account bound, they're not trade-able. So rather than taking up the space in our inventories, can't we just get the karma awarded directly, or let them stack with the "generic" karma vials, jugs, etc. we already get from the LW3 maps? I mean, presumably the purpose of having unidentified items was to save inventory space, but now we've got a plethora of karma items taking up inventory space. Seems very inconsistent to me.

BLESS YOU FOR POSTING THIS.

My inventory has been a disaster since the expansion was launched. Why give items which grant karma when you could just give me the karma?

This guy knows what he is talking about.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Palador.2170 said:First, there's the lore behind them.The second reason is so that you
see
the rewards.This guy knows what he is talking about.

Sure, and I support those reasons, but... isn't there are compromise? These karma items require a lot more inventory management and one feels that they should be saved for something more interesting later.

Moreover, the first goal (for "local color") is already met in other maps via junk items, that are sometimes worth a lot of coin. These can be easily dealt with ("sell all junk") and there's already a bag type that sorts them from the rest of loot. The second requirement is already met by existing liquid karma items, which also come in increments of 150, 600, 1000, and so on.

I'm all for adding old rewards in more interesting ways. I love the descriptions on these karma items. All the same, I think they defeat the value of unidentified gear and I think ANet should convert these to junk and find another way to deliver karma in hues other than purple.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:Interesting how they know people complain about unnecessary storage clutter and yet they spend time making items like these.For the time and money they spent making items that give karma, they could've just made them go straight into wallet.People also complain about junk items and they added so much more.

I couldn't agree with this more. lmao....

@MetalGirl.2370 said:Interesting how they know people complain about unnecessary storage clutter and yet they spend time making items like these.For the time and money they spent making items that give karma, they could've just made them go straight into wallet.People also complain about junk items and they added so much more.

I couldn't agree with this more. lmao....

Archived