All these items that give karma -- skip the item part

@Palador.2170 said:They did it for two reasons that I can see.

First, there's the lore behind them. They might be minor things, but they carry part of the feeling of the area they're found in. Home made blindfolds, prayer beads, and coins with Kormir on them? It shows you that the pepople in that area tend to be religious and follow Kormir most of all. Head south and you start finding items relating to Joko instead, showing a shift in the people's attitudes. It might seem like a minor thing, but it's those minor things that can add up to good world building.

The second reason is so that you see the rewards. You might just click them away, or sell junk to the merchants with the push of a button, but you're still having to deal with them. You have to 'claim' the real reward, reminding you that you got it in the first place. If it was just straight karma or coin, many people wouldn't even realize they've gotten it, and it might feel like there's less of a reward.

This is a wonderful example of how completely different people are when it comes to these things. I like how you explain it and it makes sense, but I'm on the other side of the spectrum. I care more for functionality and don't have much of an emotional connection to the game and its lore. I would like to see it working for both groups. Also, the items come repeatedly, after a few drops you don't spend much time appreciating the art and meaning behind them. At least I think that's how it works, I am tired of seeing tons of minor runes and sigils for example, they are like ad banners and by now, I am blind to their details.

Pof inventory management is a nightmare. Undependable materials (great idea kappa), mountain of different karma items(in core game we only had like 3) , champ bags, junk items. Collection quest items, that clog up your inventory. Unid gear was a nice idea to combat inventory wars, but so many new annoying ways to block inv got added.

They like to put everything in containers now, because those are generally not affected by account bonuses and boosters. So, karma items are items because Anet wants to more easily control (and limit) the rate at which we're getting karma now.Also, the "rewards visibility" reason mentioned above, which apparently works for some people (but not for others).

Archived