New Anet Game?

Shaogin.2679

https://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/arenanet-confirms-working-unannounced-console-game/

So apparently Anet is working on a new console game? There had been some discussion on Facebook and Reddit, but I haven't seen anything here yet. I don't really play console games, so I'm not really looking forward to it. I am worried about how this could affect GW2 though.

Theres a couple of topics on this on forums as well:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94838/guild-wars-3-might-be-a-console-title-open-job-position-may-indicate-to-that#latest

and

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94833/gw3#latest

And yes Reddit is flooded with this topic too.

As for your worries... I think it is healthy that a game studio has more than 1 game on their portfolio. No game lives forever (technology changes, etc) and a game company needs to have a certainty to go on in the future. I am also not that worried about GW2. Does it feel like its a bit abandonned in some fields, yes (communities and trends change). Does it get heavily monetized in gemstore as of late, yes (sadly thats the trend of any gaming these years). I don't think we still live in the era where games are made to enjoy playing itself and to proceed and get all items like that with priority fun and gameplay. It is made to make money as priority nowadays. This is in general, not just GW2. Anet is still working on the game by adding living world stories every other month, they put their hands on balancing in pvp (and i guess that same balance is used in wvw as well), they still update festivals (even tho it will be automatic pilot like seen in every other game), and I guess we will still see fractals and raids (we are only in chapter 1 of icebrood saga and who knows they drop a whole bunch at once like we saw with strike mission in bjora marches). Besides, GW1 is still running too (which is in maintenance mode a while). And GW2 is still one of the biggest incomes for NCSOFT west for the pc market.

I also still think we get wvw alliances and game mode overhaul as they mentioned. But this will simply need things they use for pvp update 1st I guess. Maybe they want to implement swiss in wvw as well given it will be guilds vs guilds with alliances. We simply do not know how their vision of the wanted end result is and how far they are behind the scenes.

@"Aaralyna.3104" said:Theres a couple of topics on this on forums as well:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94838/guild-wars-3-might-be-a-console-title-open-job-position-may-indicate-to-that#latest

and

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/94833/gw3#latest

And yes Reddit is flooded with this topic too.

As for your worries... I think it is healthy that a game studio has more than 1 game on their portfolio. No game lives forever (technology changes, etc) and a game company needs to have a certainty to go on in the future. I am also not that worried about GW2. Does it feel like its a bit abandonned in some fields, yes (communities and trends change). Does it get heavily monetized in gemstore as of late, yes (sadly thats the trend of any gaming these years). I don't think we still live in the era where games are made to enjoy playing itself and to proceed and get all items like that with priority fun and gameplay. It is made to make money as priority nowadays. This is in general, not just GW2. Anet is still working on the game by adding living world stories every other month, they put their hands on balancing in pvp (and i guess that same balance is used in wvw as well), they still update festivals (even tho it will be automatic pilot like seen in every other game), and I guess we will still see fractals and raids (we are only in chapter 1 of icebrood saga and who knows they drop a whole bunch at once like we saw with strike mission in bjora marches). Besides, GW1 is still running too (which is in maintenance mode a while). And GW2 is still one of the biggest incomes for NCSOFT west for the pc market.

I also still think we get wvw alliances and game mode overhaul as they mentioned. But this will simply need things they use for pvp update 1st I guess. Maybe they want to implement swiss in wvw as well given it will be guilds vs guilds with alliances. We simply do not know how their vision of the wanted end result is and how far they are behind the scenes.

Where the reddit thread?

It's been pretty widely known for years that Anet are working on something other than GW2, aaand that at least 1 of those projects survived the restructuring earlier this year, because some staff have said on Twitter and elsewhere they work for Anet but not on GW2. (Jennifer Scheurle is the one I know of.)

As other people have said it's normal for a studio to make more than 1 game, and probably safer because that way they're not entirely reliant on 1 project to fund the entire company, if one is struggling another can cover them. (For an extreme example there was a time in the late 90s when Nintendo nearly went bankrupt but Pokemon kept them going. All their other franchises were able to continue because of that.)

I'm curious about what they're working on though, and I hope we get to find out something soon even if it's just a very general outline. I like GW1 and 2 and I'd like to see what else Anet can do, but at the moment there's no guarantee it would be something I want to play.