A compromise: Lower the base duration/stacks on converting boons/conditions in PVP/WVW

It is okay to punish enemies. If we traded resources evenly all battles would be predetermined. But there should be proper counterplay.

Converting to conditions/boons, and on interrupt effects confer double the benefit of cleanses/removals and regular cc. However player inaction, and stability, prevent interrupts. What prevents conversion?

If you want to rein in these effects. Start with the duration and stacks.

These are the current tables:Boon to Condition : Condition to Boon

Aegis to Burning (1 stack, 3 s) : Burning to Aegis (5 s)Fury to Blind (5 s) : Blind to Fury (5 s)Might to Weakness (10 s) : Weakness to Might (3 stacks, 10 s)Protection to Vulnerability (3 stacks, 10 s) : Vulnerability to Protection (3 s)Quickness to Slow (3 s) : Slow to Quickness (3 s)Regeneration to Poison (10 s) : Poison to Regeneration (5 s)Resistance to Chilled (3 s) : Chilled to Resistance (2 s)Retaliation to Confusion (3 stacks, 5 s) : Confusion to Retaliation (5 s)Stability to Fear (1 s) : Fear to Stability (3 s)Swiftness to Crippled (10 s) : Crippled to Swiftness (10 s)Vigor to Bleeding (3 stacks, 10 s) : Bleeding to Vigor (10 s)N/A : Immobile to Swiftness (10 s)N/A : Torment to Might (3 stacks, 10 s)

1. Conversions create cover conditions/boons, making it harder for the enemy to rip or cleanse. That is enough of a benefit. With the exception of might (which converts 2 conditions into 1), everything should only give 1 stack.
  2. Reduce the base duration by 50%. You can't make 1 seconds fears so costly when they're cast through an ability. But super cheap when done by conversion. Same with vigor and chill spam leading to substantial bleeding and resistance. All of which is made worse by 100% condition/boon duration. An Engie can pop Elixir C when hit by a frost field and get 20 seconds of resistance. But that same Engie could pick up 3 stacks of bleed for 20 seconds every 5 seconds because of invigorating speed. If we reduced stacks and duration that would be at most 10 seconds of resistance, and 1 stack of bleed for 10 seconds every 5 seconds, the latter being no worse than the bleed on many auto attacks.

Here is how it should be.

Aegis to Burning (1 stack, 1.5 s) : Burning to Aegis (2.5 s)Fury to Blind (2.5 s) : Blind to Fury (2.5 s)Might to Weakness (2.5 s) : Weakness to Might (3 stacks, 2.5 s)Protection to Vulnerability (1 stacks, 5 s) : Vulnerability to Protection (2.5 s)Quickness to Slow (1.5 s) : Slow to Quickness (1.5 s)Regeneration to Poison (5 s) : Poison to Regeneration (2.5 s)Resistance to Chilled (1.5 s) : Chilled to Resistance (1 s)Retaliation to Confusion (1 stacks, 2.5 s) : Confusion to Retaliation (2.5 s)Stability to Fear (.5 s) : Fear to Stability (1.5 s)Swiftness to Crippled (5 s) : Crippled to Swiftness (5 s)Vigor to Bleeding (1 stacks, 5 s) : Bleeding to Vigor (5 s)N/A : Immobile to Swiftness (5 s)N/A : Torment to Might (3 stacks, 5 s)

Keep conversion in the game. Just reduce its potency.

Remember, I as the player cannot stop someone from giving me boons. And, with the exception of spellbreaker, I cannot remove boons from myself.

Likewise, when I am trying to boon rip a buffed up player, I cannot stop my allies from giving him more conditions to convert to boons.

Archived