How To Beat Rangers - A Secret l2p Guide

@"viquing.8254" said:I'm fine about ranger and ofc it's possible to beat them but when yesterday I saw : https://imgur.com/a/85SnR6l ,I'm thinking they mixted a defensive skill in a 3 on 1 fashion.Mean we are back in time when SB full counter do the coffee.

its 3s block.a tip for you, when they shield block, disengage. you will live long and happy-ish life against rangers then ;p

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want Dolyak stance to get some shaves, strength of the pack to not give so many stacks of stab, dmg mods to get some shaves, aaaand longbow to have its range fiddled with a bit.

I don't really like their quickness uptime, either, but that's a 'it's fine in the current meta' thing and I can live with it.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"viquing.8254" said:I'm fine about ranger and ofc it's possible to beat them but when yesterday I saw :
,I'm thinking they mixted a defensive skill in a 3 on 1 fashion.Mean we are back in time when SB full counter do the coffee.

its 3s block.a tip for you, when they shield block, disengage. you will live long and happy-ish life against rangers then ;p

Yeah 3 sec my bad.I try to move out when they block yeah but sometimes they are under superspeed and clones trigger the block.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"viquing.8254" said:I'm fine about ranger and ofc it's possible to beat them but when yesterday I saw :
,I'm thinking they mixted a defensive skill in a 3 on 1 fashion.Mean we are back in time when SB full counter do the coffee.

Enough of the stars aligning stuff already.

All the ranger mains in here have agreed that marks mods can make literally any attack off the ranger hit too hard. But let's not pretend like these skills are always standardly hitting hard like that, because they aren't. Honestly, even while running a full glass cannon build, you're lucky to land half of that damage with a good & well placed counter attack. So if you missed the point here, it's that marksmanship mods are what is creating those rare out of left field random high damage attacks from rangers. It isn't sic em anymore, and it isn't general ranger damage. It's those marks mods.

Lately actually, while running my full berserker glass cannon soulbeast, I've been hitting lower damage than ever before. Mauls are starting to turn from 10ks down to more like 6ks-8ks, and WIs that should be winding up for a 12k+ strike are hitting more for like 9k-10k. Keep in mind this is with a DPS Soulbeast running Berserker gear with Skrim/Beastmaster/Soulbeast. It has quite seriously no defensive utilities at all, and is completely dedicate to damage output.

So enough already of this "stars aligning" stuff, and posting that 1/50 match you get where a Ranger somehow lands abnormal damage with an attack, ONCE in the course of a 15 minute match. We know, we get it. We've been all through this already. All of the Ranger mains have already suggested marks mods being turned down.

Ofc they didn' t 10k every time with this. But even with taking apart the random high spike this skill is pretty good since the last rework.

@viquing.8254 said:

@viquing.8254 said:I'm fine about ranger and ofc it's possible to beat them but when yesterday I saw :

Yeah 3 sec my bad.I try to move out when they block yeah but sometimes they are under superspeed and clones trigger the block.

@viquing.8254 said:I'm fine about ranger and ofc it's possible to beat them but when yesterday I saw :

All the ranger mains in here have agreed that marks mods can make literally any attack off the ranger hit too hard. But let's not pretend like these skills are always standardly hitting hard like that, because they aren't. Honestly, even while running a full glass cannon build, you're lucky to land half of that damage with a good & well placed counter attack. So if you missed the point here, it's that marksmanship mods are what is creating those rare out of left field random high damage attacks from rangers. It isn't sic em anymore, and it isn't general ranger damage. It's those marks mods.

Lately actually, while running my full berserker glass cannon soulbeast, I've been hitting lower damage than ever before. Mauls are starting to turn from 10ks down to more like 6ks-8ks, and WIs that should be winding up for a 12k+ strike are hitting more for like 9k-10k. Keep in mind this is with a DPS Soulbeast running Berserker gear with Skrim/Beastmaster/Soulbeast. It has quite seriously no defensive utilities at all, and is completely dedicate to damage output.

So enough already of this "stars aligning" stuff, and posting that 1/50 match you get where a Ranger somehow lands abnormal damage with an attack, ONCE in the course of a 15 minute match. We know, we get it. We've been all through this already. All of the Ranger mains have already suggested marks mods being turned down.

Ofc they didn' t 10k every time with this. But even with taking apart the random high spike this skill is pretty good since the last rework.

It already hit before very hard, but the block was useless against most professions, because it automatically attacked when something was in meele range, mesmer, weaver, warrior, other ranger, dh, holos had no trouble to trigger it after 0,1 sec, without taking any risk

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You are doing smth wrong, I can deal 6-9k AAs on a ranger build that isn't even glass

@Tharan.9085 said:

You are doing smth wrong, I can deal 6-9k AAs on a ranger build that isn't even glass

We would all like to see a video of you casually dealing 6k to 9k ranger auto attacks while not running a dps build.

Seriously, let's see it.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

We would all like to see a video of you casually dealing 6k to 9k ranger auto attacks while not running a dps build.

Seriously, let's see it.

I feel like this is becoming an apple and oranges argument. On one had people are upset about the over the top damage damage (across the game, which includes ranger), which we can all more or less agree on. On the other hand people are getting into semantics at this point on "if this attack and hit for that". I'm sure rangers can through some series of star-aligning buffs belt out 6-9k AA but no, we all know that's not what the base damage for GS is unbuffed. What we do know is a ranger can engage you and absolutely delete you in like two seconds if you're not prepared for it. If they catch you on the hop, you dead.

This goes for a lot of professions really. Is it risky gameplay? Yeah. Is it acceptable for pvp? I don't think it is. Imagine this theoretical profession. It only has 1 hp and its profession mechanic is a skill that will oneshot anyone and is its ONLY skill that does damage. Fairly low cd. The profession has shadow steps, evades, 1,500 range, stealth, blocks, and invulns. Would this profession be balanced? Would it be fun to play against? I mean technically its a glass as you can get. If even a single hit touches you, you're dead. That's if it touches you though. An extreme example but I think it illustrates people's frustrations with things like ranger, rev, pw theif, ect.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Seriously, let's see it.

it's a dps build, it just doesn't run dps traitlines

@Tharan.9085 said:

Seriously, let's see it.

it's a dps build, it just doesn't run dps traitlines

That's fine.

As I keep pointing out over and over in this thread, I don't care if you advocate ranger nerfs, just keep things factual so we know HOW much is too much or too little of a nerf. Don't come in here with ridiculous embellished claims & fabled myths of boonbeast like specs dealing 6k and 9k auto attacks because it isn't true and we both know that. All that accomplishes is unfair bandwagon. It makes some people who aren't quite aware of how things work, believe that a very sustainy boonbeast like node hold build, is capable of somehow landing more damage with auto strikes, than my Berserker Skirm/Beast/Soul Sic Em build, which just isn't possible. And then they freak out and drop their feedback about "How rangers have too much sustain and damage", when the truth is that players are running a large skew of different types of ranger builds right now. Some are sustain with relatively low damage, some are glass with very high damage, but you can't have both so stop with the idea that EVERY RANGER is running sustain trait lines and dealing damage like a glass cannon sic em, because it just isn't true at all.

So ease up on the fabrication. I mean I don't like the state of Herald right now in high tier play, but I don't go into threads and start tossing around William Wallace like embellished stories about how it stands 12 feet tall, takes no damage and kills everything in 1 hit.

I mean seriously man, I want to discuss this topic but only under the premise of factual evidence to compare & contrast for nerf or rework suggestions. I cannot hold a productive discussion with any forum user at all, who wants to discuss things that simply aren't true.