Going insane - Unstable MMR

rwolf.9571

So I've been going hard this season farming shards for of course, you guessed it. Legendary armour. And over this course of this season, match making can't decide where I should be in terms of Divisions. I've been in elo hell / losing streaks at least 2-3 times, and at the same rate, several win streaks. The inconsistency of the past +400 matches have left me scarred in spvp.

I placed the my usual Silver T3 at the start of the season, and climbed my way just shy of Plat T1. Then came a massive downfall back to low Gold T1. Some grind later I'm back to a healthy mid T3 gold. Post PoF I even made it high Plat T1, 1 win shy of T2. Turning south into G3 then rising back into P1. After a few days I start bouncing in between P1 and G3. Now currently facing my way back down to G2 with a gut feeling I'm on my way back to S3.

What most particularly left me soulless in spvp is a recent match-up vs duo que legendary players. Naturally lost, since this was gold vs legendary. But a text filled wall of players blaming each other, (while concurrently calling out the bad matchup with a obvious Legendary Demi-God title). It's not the first time I've faced players one whole division above, but I always know it leads to this. (Was placed against rank 1 player twice)

1-2 other players have told me of losing there top 250 / +1600 rating dropping down to G2 and I sympathize with them. Not knowing what to do in a unstoppable downward spiral.

For me I've entered zombie mode as I farm the last 4 chests. Maybe I'll keep my sanity if I don't think about that wall of losses on my match history >.> Haha... cough wheeze

I've had my fair share of fun in spvp. I don't know if I will have that feeling again. It's just has become another form of grinding.

Some people say I should stop playing. But anet is dangling PVE content on it's carrot stick : |

Stop caring about personal MMR might be the best way atm to enjoy pvp. The MMR system is pretty skewed. SoloQing in a 5-man team game with an apparently unequal MMR distribution across the teams in a lot of matches can basically erase your effort to win matches, as you rely on 4 other people. Thats basically why most of the top players nearly always DuoQ.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:Stop caring about personal MMR might be the best way atm to enjoy pvp. The MMR system is pretty skewed. SoloQing in a 5-man team game with an apparently unequal MMR distribution across the teams in a lot of matches can basically erase your effort to win matches, as you rely on 4 other people. Thats basically why most of the top players nearly always DuoQ.

I did for awhile. Then I hit plat. Maybe it was foolish I thought I could maintain at least P1 XD.Still no matter what skill level you are. A +10 loss streak is devastating to a person. I start to question what I did right or wrong, or if it's an outside power at work.

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:You always have to reflect on yourself what you did wrong, but a +10 loss streak is out of your hands, both realistically and mathematically.

There are some very interesting human evolutionary theories that postulate that our mind has evolved to discern patterns out of chaos to help guard against predation, looming disasters, resource gathering, etc. And that our minds got so good at it that we may often see patterns where there are none or at least incorrectly take it personally when there is.

I, as I'm sure many others would too, would love to have access to all Anets data and play around with the numbers to see if a more satisfactory 'pattern' can be created that wont divide or deplete the playerbase. Even if just for my own peace of mind.

And to the OP and all others feeling the same:Anger is born from the frustration caused by an inability to affect meaningful change to your situation. YOU cannot change the MM and that is not YOUR fault. But you can accept it or move on, in this you can take back control and ease your worried mind. :-)

Archived