Will there be a Guild Wars 3 in the future

Davidm.2419

This thread was double necroed and originated in January 2020, shortly before the announcement that work was being done on another expansion, End of Dragons.

The thread was necroed the first time in March of this year, over 1 year after this threads opening, and was now necroed 4 months later again.

Suffice to say, this thread is not currently relevant and has not aged well with big news drops from the studio and the direction they are going currently, with an expansion reveal not even 1 week away.

Just thought it relevant given the confusing nature and shift in discussion within the thread reflective of assumptions and wish work, followed by actual developer news, followed by more assumptions and wish work, followed by even more actual official information soon to be followed by more actual information next week Tuesday.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Announcing Gw3 now, especially after saying "this is not the end of Gw2", would be... uhm... not that smart of an idea.
This could be a way to kill all the hype for the next expansion and any future ones.
E.g. what would be the reason to grind all the legendaries going forward?

You do realize that even if they announce GW3... it would be at least 3 years away. It would have zero impact on GW2.

In fact GW2 itself was announced in 2007, 5 years before release. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

You do realize that even if they announce GW3... it would be at least 3 years away. It would have zero impact on GW2.

In fact GW2 itself was announced in 2007, 5 years before release.

And it did not have zero impact on GW1. The game wason a rising wave up until that announcement, but that pretty much stopped and reversed the moment people realized there won't be any new content ever again.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And it did not have zero impact on GW1. The game wason a rising wave up until that announcement, but that pretty much stopped and reversed the moment people realized there won't be any new content ever again.

As I said, I never played original GW1, but it doesnt take long to read on the wiki why a lackluster expansion that was meant as a prelude to GW2 to be recieved as meh by the community. Considering GW2 was announced a mere 2 years after GW1 release - that would be the eqvivalent of Anet having announced GW3 in 2014, 7 years ago (kitten time goes fast) - it's also clear that Anet themselves didnt commit to GW1 anywhere near what they've done for GW2.

• Confused 4

13 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I'll never understand this obsession with GW3

It's a sign that there are players who are disappointed with certain aspects of GW2 and hold on to the illusion that a sequel would succeed where GW2 hasn't. I think that the shift from GW1 to GW2 has proven that that's not guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it might also be because GW2 attracts a lot of people whose main video game experience is single-player and conventional multi-player games rather than other MMOs. That's how it works with most games: the game is released, if it's successful it gets expansion packs, DLC and maybe QoL updates for a few years, then that stops and if you're lucky they start making a sequel. If you want to see any big changes you hope for a sequel and that it will include the stuff you want, because that's the only option.

MMOs are different in that they're continuously updated and can go on for decades and can get those big changes as updates or expansions instead, but that's not an obvious assumption if you're not used to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ask why would there be a Guild Wars 3 though? At least any time soon? GW2 made sense because GW1 had lots of limitations. Inability to jump being the most significant, but other mechanics and graphics limitations as well. GW2 addressed all of those. I honestly don't see why they would need to change the game from what it is now. What would a GW3 game bring to the table that cannot be achieved in Gw2 as it is? Right now the only limit I think we are reaching is areas of exploration. But even then it's not actually the case. Based on actual game lore (and a  picture posted on the wiki taken from the Durman Priory (i.e. provided by anet)), the areas of the game we explore including Cantha only accounts for about 1/4 - 1/3 of the actual world of Tyria . And that same map also shows at least 1 more major town on a separate continent to the east of the maps we know (not to mention the underground areas that are suppose to be all over the world of Tyria). So the actual world of Tyria is huge. If the dragons really end at the next expansion, wouldn't that means exploration would become easier? I want to know what in that new continent, and whats on the west half side of the continent of Tyria. What other races are there? We know of races living in the undying ocean, so there's got to be more of them on land. I would love to see the Commander becoming a trailblazer as oppose to the continous savior that they are right now.

I think anet could easily put up another 2-3 expansions out after EoD before they "run out of story ideas". And then at that point graphics would definitely need updating and gw3 would make sense. At which point another x amount of years could pass, and we would start a new journey.

Edited by SkinnyT.5382
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I played GW1. I played GW2. I fell off MMOs in general when my big computer bit the dust about 6 years ago. My little laptop can barely run Microsoft word. I’ve been looking at buying a new one recently since my financial situation is better now and I wanted to get back into my mmos. However all I’ve got currently is vanilla GW2 and I feel so far behind in terms of story and character development and all I’d rather just start fresh. Just like the books of WoW lore are way too much for me. I don’t have legendaries. I’m way underleveled. And I’d hoped for updated graphics. I'd need to drop $50 for all the expansions and I’d be playing catch up for forever. I don’t wanna drop that money into an old game, especially if a new one is coming I could start fresh with. I don’t really want to drop $50 on a game that looks like I remember GW2 looking, back in 2015-2016ish either. 
But if they’d port it to PlayStation the way Neverwinter mmo did I’d gladly give them all my money. I’ve kept up with that mmo because of ease of access. If it comes down to buying a ps5 or an updated computer, I’m going with ps5 because beyond gaming, I have no use for a computer whereas a console has multiple functions I use daily. That’s just me tho. And that’s why I’d like a GW3. 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I ask why would there be a Guild Wars 3 though? At least any time soon? GW2 made sense because GW1 had lots of limitations. Inability to jump being the most significant, but other mechanics and graphics limitations as well. GW2 addressed all of those. I honestly don't see why they would need to change the game from what it is now. What would a GW3 game bring to the table that cannot be achieved in Gw2 as it is? Right now the only limit I think we are reaching is areas of exploration. But even then it's not actually the case. Based on actual game lore (and a  picture posted on the wiki taken from the Durman Priory (i.e. provided by anet)), the areas of the game we explore including Cantha only accounts for about 1/4 - 1/3 of the actual world of Tyria . And that same map also shows at least 1 more major town on a separate continent to the east of the maps we know (not to mention the underground areas that are suppose to be all over the world of Tyria). So the actual world of Tyria is huge. If the dragons really end at the next expansion, wouldn't that means exploration would become easier? I want to know what in that new continent, and whats on the west half side of the continent of Tyria. What other races are there? We know of races living in the undying ocean, so there's got to be more of them on land. I would love to see the Commander becoming a trailblazer as oppose to the continous savior that they are right now.

I think anet could easily put up another 2-3 expansions out after EoD before they "run out of story ideas". And then at that point graphics would definitely need updating and gw3 would make sense. At which point another x amount of years could pass, and we would start a new journey.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

As I said, I never played original GW1, but it doesnt take long to read on the wiki why a lackluster expansion that was meant as a prelude to GW2 to be recieved as meh by the community. Considering GW2 was announced a mere 2 years after GW1 release - that would be the eqvivalent of Anet having announced GW3 in 2014, 7 years ago (kitten time goes fast) - it's also clear that Anet themselves didnt commit to GW1 anywhere near what they've done for GW2.

Off topic but I've never heard anyone refer to EotN as "Lackluster" (nor do I particularly believe it to be true), and as someone that was (overly)active in GW1 back in '07 I assert that both the Xpack and the announcement had the opposite effect on the game for a majority of the player base.  Activity didn't really start dropping down until about six months or so after EotN's launch, and it picked up a fair bit again with the Live Team started putting out new content, and then again when Anet started putting out info and trailers for GW2.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 1:05 AM, LucianDK.8615 said:

When you buy pof you get heart of thorns too.

Better to get the EoD package with both HoT and PoF

On 9/3/2021 at 11:40 PM, Kaylea.5468 said:

I'd need to drop $50 for all the expansions and I’d be playing catch up for forever. 

My wife, who's a casual player, started playing again in January this year and was in the same situation you are in now. She has completed HoT and PoF including LS2-4 and the Icebrood saga early last month and has almost 300 mastery points. So she basically caught up in 6 months. So it's not forever even for a casual player.

Sure, you have a lot to catch up with still, I'm not denying that but why worry about that? You could also see it as having loads to do. It's not a race to the end, certainly not in this game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

IMO, the only real reasons for a GW3 would be limitations of the current game engine and the absolute death of the GW2 player base.  

On the game engine

It looks and plays just fine - even some of the vanilla stuff is still gorgeous.  However, I think that framerate improvements and a bump in graphics/textures are key to extending the life of current game.  This is likely why ANet mentioned DX11 and potentially improving the game's framerates and appearance during the livestream.  Being a tech-head, and perusing the conversation on the subject this could just be lip service or a pipe dream.  Though I am absolutely not interested in spinning up that debate here. 

Is it the nail in the coffin if they can't update the game's look and feel 😬 Ehhh...  It's certainly not going to help.  Especially if some developer makes a real splash with a shiny new MMO - though that's another merry-go-round debate that causes too much silly internet quibbling.

On the player base

I'm out of my depth there, so ya'll tell me... 🤷🏽‍♀️ Is there enough of us playing the game right now?  I don't keep up with the active player numbers.  I just play the game, but I see plenty of people when I log on and visit random maps.  We got living world content, though some have voiced their displeasure in the quality/quantity.  We're getting a new expansion.  Colin is back.  We're being told there are big future plans.  There were a ton of people tuned into the livestream and a few of my old GW2 buddies are logging back in.  I think the GW2 community is in OK shape.  For now and for at least one more expansion after this.

From my personal experience/perspective...

I think it'll be a challenge to keep the game alive.  It's just too easy to step away from it - for me at least.  Not because it's not fun or anything like that.  I love this game, but honestly...there's nothing that pulls at me or keeps me in the game other than LW.  Once I knock an episode out, other games/interests usually pull me away and it's months before I pick up GW2 again.  I've logged on to play with new classes/specs (I have everything but a mage) and have spent LOTS of time cooking and crafting (all ascended) in support of those characters.  However, that's short lived once I have nothing to do with the character.

I'd raid - but what's the incentive for me?  Not to mention the....well, we're not going to get into that either. lol

I'd PvP - and I'm actually more of a PVP junkie than anything, but I don't like the down state and I feel like that would frustrate me in SPvP.  I did a little WVW, but that wasn't what I expected.  When I played it, there was just a bunch of PVE boss farming and zerg vs zerg PVP slap fighting.

The most fun I've had in this game is 5 mans with my family and close friends.  I wish they would do more of them and/or put some love into the LFG to promote better group finding.  That and put some cool/rare skin drops in the instances.  That would keep me playing.  I buy a decent amount of stuff from the Gem Store, but I often stop short because I feel like I don't spend enough time in the game to warrant the purchase. 

Bottom line

If there's a significant number of people like me and they can't/don't address the aforementioned, then yeah...I would think GW3 would be in the wings to keep the IP alive.  This is an interesting topic to me and I'd like to hear others' opinions 👂🏽

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

At least they use the search function. But yeah.. 

I dont know, sometimes I wonder how people actually find threads. 

I recently had a confused emote on a post I made in a large thread that wasnt even necroed. 

The post was from 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If the GW1 -> GW2 transition is any indication, GW3 would have nothing you liked in GW2 and Anet would willingly discard the playerbase like it was nothing. After you've helped fund GW3, ofc.

GW3 would probably be a mobile game at this point. Some GW2 players could be scammed again but most GW1 players learned their lesson.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

The idea that anyone would be “playing catch up forever” is an illusion. Content isn’t added that quickly or that often.

I was here for the first couple years of the game, and came back after a many year break. As a casual player it took less than a year to go through HoT, PoF, all LW, finish the core story where I’d stopped after Claw Island, and get nine characters equipped with exotic armor, ascended weapons and trinkets, and both e-specs.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I dont know, sometimes I wonder how people actually find threads. 

I recently had a confused emote on a post I made in a large thread that wasnt even necroed. 

The post was from 2018.

Probably a stalker working through your post history wielding the mighty confused emoji in terrible fury.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 5

On 7/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

No offense but this is such a dumb take.

GW2 uses the GW1 engine. Jumping wasn't "impossible", the game just wasn't designed with jumping in mind. If they added it they would have had to change every single map, and combat would never be the same.

Adding jumping wasn't an "improvement" just a sign that they were more keen to copy WoW than GW1.

And graphics still hold up. have you seen the Grothmar Valley/Wardowns comparison? The GW1 version legit looks better.

Oldschool Runescape is a 2001 game with no jumping that looks like it was made by a 6 year old in MS paint and it's bigger than GW2.

GW2 was made because Anet never cared about GW1 or the fanbase, the 3 CEOs were ex-Blizzard employees and they wanted to beat WoW. They thought perfecting the WoW formula and replacing sub fee with a predatory ingame store would get them there. That's all there is to it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 10